Ford say it aint sooooooo

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Well, we brought this up last week , then today on the news the surprise. Lincoln is closing down 35 % of the dealers in the New York area. Not good..........Most of my friends who still buy cars dont have Ford on there list, many have a lincoln over the past 20 years....taurus,focus not bad but at least the lincon had a little style and upgrade. This is not good....p.s check out the new vw c.c that sedan puts the taurus to shame........say it aint so......gtjoey1314 with a collectors lt lincoln pickup:thumbsup

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
What Joey is referring to (from L.A. Times):

Ford to close 175 Lincoln dealerships in big metro areas
Ford hopes the move helps revitalize the Lincoln brand and drives more people into showrooms. It says locations to be shuttered have not been determined.

By W.J. Hennigan, Los Angeles Times

October 6, 2010

Ford Motor Co. is eliminating 175 Lincoln dealerships in major metropolitan areas in a move that it said would improve profitability for the remaining stores.

Ford executives delivered the message Tuesday during a gathering of Lincoln dealers at its headquarters in Dearborn, Mich. There are 1,200 Lincoln dealerships nationwide.

The nation's No. 2 automaker said the closures were part of an effort to revitalize the brand amid increased competition from foreign nameplates such as Daimler's Mercedes-Benz and Toyota Motor Corp.'s Lexus.

Ford said it had not yet made a list of which dealerships would be shuttered. But the automaker said it needed to close 35% of the 500 Lincoln dealerships in metropolitan markets. There are more than 20 Lincoln dealerships in Southern California.

"The company is working to make Lincoln the premier luxury brand," said Christian Bokich, a Lincoln spokesman. "These type of changes are necessary if we want to get more customers into showrooms."

Once the top-selling luxury brand, Lincoln has fallen behind its competitors in recent years. Through September, Lincoln sold 63,286 cars and trucks this year. Lexus has sold 162,438.

Lincoln has an image problem, said Jesse Toprak, an analyst at TrueCar Inc., a Santa Monica auto sales and pricing information firm.

"It's Grandpa's car," Toprak said. "That's Lincoln's biggest hurdle."

TrueCar.com recently completed a study that found that the average age of a Lincoln buyer was about 59 years old — second only to Buick. If Lincoln wants to attract buyers in their 30s to 40s, it's going to take a major marketing campaign that stresses technology and prestige, Toprak said.

"Eliminating dealerships is also a good strategy" because there are too many in the metropolitan areas, he said, adding that remaining Lincoln dealers will have to invest in their facilities and create the type of environment that is conducive to selling luxury cars.

william.hennigan@latimes.com

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
djs, I get the theory but I think theres a bigger plan, on Long Island we are down to 3 dealers with 3. 5 million people. The product is the problem,plus this health care thing is looming large for all of us....not to crazy a thought, but if its not repealed..the amount a NON U.S. BANKRUPT BAILOUT company would pay starting next year is huge....all union employees included........
But back to the point, My mom's 1 YEAR OLD MKS ,loaded to the hilt was described by her as a car built on a friday afternoon...My wifes 2 year old MKX , well there isnt enough bites to put it on this forum, but its not good....After my LT , the QUALITY went south in a big way....
Look who's hand im shaking in the picture, time to walk the walk, just dont call it a luxury brand, make it one..
Retro continental/mark III, something. By the way went to look at a new Navigater..a buy only? 1,200 a month with 5,000 down :eek. We need a full commitment, or worse is going to come.....gtjoey1314:thumbsup

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
You speak the truth Kemosabe! Just leased an '11 Ford Edge Sport. Really like it. Would've bot/leased the Lincoln, but why? no difference, except another 10 grand...