Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
Real nice stories guys. I can relate to all of 'em. :thumbsup

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
Don't know if any of you guys have done this but my wife and I bought a journal and have actually entered every drive as to what we did, who we were with and the miles a long with the date. Hopefully I'll be at the rally and you guys can read the entries.

tmstunts#1233 :cheers

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Comparison - repost

Guys,
Allan (Pipelion) asked me for a driving review to post here. If you look, there is already a trhead with your GT compared to, where substantial posts have been done. I herewith copied my post there again here.

As I noticed before, we are in the process of going around again on various subjects discussed in the early days. How should we adress this, eventually.? I think it is detrimental for the forums attractiveness. I can already see another recycle of topics in few months from now, when the final wave of owners has discovered the forum...

.. I feel so old now...

cheers

Stefan

Here's the review, Allan :

Comparing the GT to Ferraris might be adding something here.
When I took recently delivery of the GT the first thing strikes you is it is pretty slow out of the blocks, but once the charger loads it goes. Very different to the Ferraris, especially when I compare it to my Challenge Stradale. That one just arrows on, once you let the launch control (only availabe for European cars, na in US) kick in, the road connects immediately and you just try to manage a straight line riding the rocket...
Ferraris however then get quickly thinner and feel lighter as you are revving up, while the Ford stays mighty.
Another thing is the lack of enginesound in the GT (pre Borla). Sounds more like my BMW, nothing vs the screaming Ferraris, that are almost too loud to stay polite (especially the Stradale, with open valves). So i had the Borla fitted right away... The GT reminds me very much of my previous Maserati GT3200 with biturbos (also had transaxle, so very comparable), in powerdevelopment and sound too.
The GT gives you immediately a whole lot of confidence and comfort and is therefore comparably also suited for less experienced drivers, vs the more unpredictable and rather hard to control Ferraris (beginners, beware), particularily with (of course) ASR off and stiffer suspension setup(race/sport) selected. A pity the GT has no setup selector.
Brakes are good, better than my regular Ferrari (360 spider) or the Lambo, but much less impressive than the Challenge Stradale carbon ones, once hot..
I think the GT is a much easier and safer to drive supercar, requiring much less of a racedriver education from the pilot than a Ferrari driven properly on the edge, this will take years of track practice !
Cornering is also nice and without slack in wheel response (so far), so thumbs up for that :thumbsup , but the Ferraris will let you know the limit better and you really can drive them with your ass on the track before loosing grip and go. That on the edge feel I still need to check with the GT, not yet been on the track with it.

One thing is for sure, the way the GT is set up it can (and should ) handle much more power, to be more dynamically on the edge and more responsive, if a driver wants (and can handle ) that in a specific situation! I still believe that with a bigger b(hp)utt it could face the MC12 on the track, as it drives on rails actually and has a real good and solid GT-ish suspension.
The one thing I find irritating (a part from the throttle response lag that still comes with the charger) though is the steering, rather no feedback and feels more like a very precise Mercedes servosteering, while the Ferraris communicate even little stones on the tarmac right into your palms, that remains state of the art..Funny that that sensation was never reported in a test critique,.,!?
If you compare the GT to the Lamborghini Gallardo, power development is very similar, and the whole feel when moving fast, but the Lambo has horrible understeer vs the precise but equally numb steering of the GT. The GT however corners nice but seemingly has an aircushion in the steering to filter out any feedback from the road. I wonder if that could be changed to be more communicative, I think it´s the biggest handling flaw, actually.. !? And if we could improve the lower revv response, wouldn´t hurt either. Could it be more like my firing Subaru WRX STI Prodrive PPP..!?

magwheel

GT Owner
Mar 26, 2006
Ohio
RedGT, Pretty good story. Sounds like you did have an easier time in negotiating your price than I did. It was fun working the dealer over, wasn't it?
That's one of the exciting things about buying any car, the dickering back and forth until you think you've got them by the 'gonads' and you got to the price you wanted.

One word of constructive criticism though. Go back to your post, click on the edit button, and break your review into 3 or 4 paragraphs. It makes it easier to read.

I did the same thing as you when I did my first review on one of my other 'supercars' for another car forum. I had 2 or 3 guys say to me "great review but it would be easier to follow if it was in paragraphs." I went back and changed mine and it immediately looked a whole lot better to me. Michael :wink

Pipelion

People,,,,,,Great posts!!!!!

Stepan,,Didn't know a compairison thread exsisted. My intentions grew from an over abundance of "what's wrong with the GT", in the sense, that's what a problem thread is. Great for education and precaution but after ones car's fixed, useless.

If this thread grows ( come on you other 200+ and growing owners), it would make sense to make it a sticky and or easier to find reviews of driving, owning, and buying the Ford GT.

Thank's Stepan for moving your fine review here, it's tight and right.

Allan

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
SLF360 said:
.. I feel so old now...

Original Stefan. Not old, original. :biggrin

SLF360