Fast Freddy 766WHP/670WTQ Whipple power !

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Finished this up on Saturday.

Attachments

• FF.jpg
    FF.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 465
  • ff1.jpg
    ff1.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 400
  • ff2.jpg
    ff2.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 397
Reactions: roketman

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
Awesome!

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Hi Torrie - Thanks for the tune on my new 4.0L Whipple Supercharger :thumbsup i like the pictures and i don't have any dyno printouts and it is nice to see one. we made so many dyno runs that you forgot to post the one which made the most power :lol that was the pull that put down 781 rwhp. we lost our boost connection on that run so you might want to post the 777 rwhp run instead :willy better yet post them both. i would like to keep a copy of those two dyno runs for my file. the 777 rwhp run shows the boost and the 781 rwhp run shows the A/F ratio. it would be a good idea to show the forum how much power i am making with so little boost. i am making all of this power with a mere 15 lbs of boost on 102 octane race gas at peak horsepower!!! The Borla headers and no cats with your tune is what does it....

i can't wait to see what 20 lbs of boost on 110 octane makes when i get a re-tune from you before the Mojave Magnum in October :cheers

i would also like to thank Kendall and Ryan at Cooltech :cool for all their hard work and attention to detail with installing my supercharger & throttle body, headers/muffler and boost-a-pumps, etc....:usa

Last edited:

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
Wow! I'm running 20 lbs of boost with the same setup and making the same numbers? Same tuner too! I didn't tune on the Dynojet though...we tuned on a chassis dyno - Dynapack. Still, that's a pretty far cry from 15 to 20 PSI boost even from one dyno to another.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
well guys.... i drove the car today and it is wild beast!!! the Borla Headers with no cats and the Borla Muffler is definately louder than the old X-pipe hooked up to the stock exhaust manifolds and cats. even though i have 30 more rwhp now and 20 less rwtq the car seems faster to me as it is roasting the Bridgestone tires way harder in 1st gear now. the water temp has dropped another 10 degrees cooler now as a result of the 4.0L whipple which runs cooler than my old 3.4L Gen II Whipple which ran cooler than the stock supercharger :cool i had a 3.25" pulley on my 3.4L and it made 21 psi but would dump boost way too often. as a result of only having to run a 3.75" pulley on the 4.0L thanks to my Borla Headers and no cats the Whipple now no longer dumps boost. if i install Bigger fuel injectors i can run a smaller pulley and make more boost and power :biggrin

as far as my boost is concerned my boost guage has not worked in years and since we had to to use the Dyno's boost guage we got a incorrect reading of my actual boost output. the Highest boost level i remember seeing was on one of the first 3 pulls we did. i remember seeing 19.12 psi near peak torque before it started goin haywire. the lowest it read was 14.59 psi at peak Horsepower before it quit working all together. on the last 3 pulls we got no boost data as it was broke by then, but it doesn't matter because it was never accurate when it worked anyway....

according to Whipple the 3.75" pulley on a 4.0L is supposed to make 20 PSI with the stock exhaust system. also according to them with headers and no cats it is supposed to only generate 18 PSI as a result of the reduced back presssure. the headers with no cats have a different horsepower/torque profile in the RPM band than the stock exhaust system and thus the reason you see an increase in Horsepower and a loss in Torque....

Last edited:

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Awesome enjoy FF!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Wow! I'm running 20 lbs of boost with the same setup and making the same numbers? Same tuner too! I didn't tune on the Dynojet though...we tuned on a chassis dyno - Dynapack. Still, that's a pretty far cry from 15 to 20 PSI boost even from one dyno to another.

I hear you. Despite what has been sometimes said on this Forum, the headers in conjunction with an efficient blower seems to be a very good setup for these engines. This is the same dyno will always use and I assure you that it is neither generous nor conservative with the numbers. It is admittedly frustrating that we had some hiccups with the boost pick-up in the later runs presumably due to the loud exhaust causing some kind of interference. (The dyno owners say this occasionally happens but only on very loud cars.)

As Freddy said, this pulley will typically yield 19-20psi of boost. However, because of the free-breathing of the headers/no-cat set-up the "resistance" through the motor was lessened and max boost was in the 15-16psi range. The HP/TQ achieved was remarkable!

A special shout-out to Torrie. He has always been very available to us and GT Owners. We scheduled this dyno session weeks in advance and we were right on schedule with the car all strapped down at 10:15am (PDT). Thats when our troubles began. Of course we have the software to load updated tunes into the SCT and then from the SCT into the car. However, we couldn't get the laptop to talk to the SCT device. We spent more than an hour updating drivers and even switching laptops to no avail. I was lucky to catch Jack from Muscle Motors in the office on a Saturday and I bought TWO SCT programmers (just in case)! The first one worked like a charm and we were in business.... more than 1.5 hours later than we had told Torrie. At one point we had to give up the dyno because people were waiting and we wanted to grab some lunch and make some adjustments to the car. What I had thought would be a 2-hour dyno session from 10-12 turned out to be a 10am to 5:30pm session! Torrie was ready and waiting each time we were finally ready to make a pull. Torrie, sincerely, thank you very much! We were all very happy with the results and the car performed like a champ all day!

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Thank you Kendall. I apologize for being even more concise than usual on the phone since I was mid virus and had a fever all weekend among other things transpiring in my life at that moment. But that being said when anyone is kind enough to bring me on board for a job like this I know what to expect and I am in it for as long as required. I am just happy that Freddy is content with the outcome of our collective work. When that happens all of us did our job properly. Kudo's to you and your crew for handling the physical aspect of this equation.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Kendall - as a result of how cool (no pun intended, lol) my GT runs now :cool I have decided to race at the Silver State Classic Open Road Race this year in September. I will run the 90 mile course in 34 minutes flat for an average speed of 160 mph :biggrin

i will then bring the car to you in October and we will put some Bigger fuel injectors in it and turn the boost up and have Torrie re-tune it for 110 octane and i will race at the Mojave Magnum :cheers

Last edited:

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Awesome !

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Kendall - as a result of how cool (no pun intended, lol) my GT runs now :cool I have decided to race at the Silver State Classic Open Road Race this year in September. I will run the 90 mile course in 34 minutes flat for an average speed of 160 mph :biggrin

i will then bring the car to you in October and we will put some Bigger fuel injectors in it and turn the boost up and have Torrie re-tune it for 110 octane and i will race at the Mojave Magnum :cheers

Freddy some great plans.

What size and type of injectors are you planning to going to?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
according to Whipple the 3.75" pulley on a 4.0L is supposed to make 20 PSI with the stock exhaust system. also according to them with headers and no cats it is supposed to only generate 18 PSI as a result of the reduced back presssure. the headers with no cats have a different horsepower/torque profile in the RPM band than the stock exhaust system and thus the reason you see an increase in Horsepower and a loss in Torque....

Another good argument for headers in a non-TT car. The lower boost is probably what is directly responsible for your lower temps but I am sure all reading this knew that already.

Great #s, It will be interesting to see what the big injectors give you.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Freddy some great plans.

What size and type of injectors are you planning to going to?

YOLO....

Whatever size that needs to go with a 3.25" or 3.5" pulley....

I have owned my GT for 6 years. open road racing is still my fav thing to do with the car. The car was designed for high speed long distance endurance racing but it is also the best runway racer too. To be one of the fastest GT's in the world on a runway requires more money than to be the fastest open road race GT. a fast open road race car has to have reliability and good handling in the turns. It also requires more skill and experience from the driver....

Last edited:

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
What changes might you expect with the Borla long tube exhaust?

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
What changes might you expect with the Borla long tube exhaust?

any good quality long tube headers as the stainless works, jba, etc. will yield the same results > which is more power, lighter weight and a louder sound and a more race like pitch of sound. if you get them jet-hot coated they will run cooler too....

i have headers on all of my hot rods and trucks and motorcycles and boat.

intake, exhaust and a tune is where it all starts. lost of mods to be had along the way after that. the final mod and icing on the cake is usually Nitrous.

a motor is a air pump. the air is what makes the power; and the more air you move the more fuel has to be added to realize that gain. BIG ported cylinder heads with larger valves and cams and superchargers, turbos and nitrous all move more air :thumbsup

with that said nitrous is the most unique in that it generates the same amount of power no matter what altitude you are racing at. it also way cools thing downs more than an intercooler which provides a synergistic effect which makes your other mods make more power. there are essentialy three main ingredients to air quality; the amount you move through your motor, how dense it is, and finally how cool it is....

Last edited:

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
UPDATE: while I was having my shifter cables replaced I decided to have my supercharger belt replaced since it is getting old. I thought I had a 3-3/4" pulley? come to find out I have a 4" pulley! this would be consistent with my lower boost results. It took 21 lbs of boost out of my old 3.4L Whipple to make this much rwhp. The bigger 4.0L Supercharger with Borla headers and no cats and bigger Accufab throttle body makes up for the loss in boost...

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
If i ever decide to put bigger fuel pumps in then I can upgrade my fuel system to be E85 compatible with bigger fuel injectors, etc. and run a 3.5" pulley with bigger cams. This should produce 900+ rwhp and 800 rwtq. Unfortunately I don't think the single key wayed crank could handle it though. It needs the cobra jet double key wayed crank. So a twin turbo kit would be better as you can run the stock fuel pumps and crankshaft and make 900 rwhp on 91 octane gas. The Heffner kit is the only kit I have seen that I like because it uses the stock exhaust manifolds. If I ever buy a second car I would want this kit on it...

Last edited:
Reactions: tmcphail

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Does Heffner no longer offer the header option for their TT kit?

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
^^^^ Heffner stopped making the kits many years ago. Best to buy a car with the kit already on it...