Exhaust Summary

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
I have read the posts on exhaust changes, modifications and options.

I wonder if others (and forthcoming members of the Forum) would not benefit from a stick post in the Tech section that provides the options in an outline form with pros, cons and costs.

I like the basic character of the stock sound. It is, however, anemic. I do not know about amplifying the sound of a small displacement engine. It is not going to sound like a Ford Thunderbolt. And deep resonance from small inches without getting into crackling and popping may not be possible.

The "whole enchilada" from Ford Racing seems (from description) to be too loud.

Frankly I do not know what the "Ida" (Bob Ida?) system comprises.

In either case, a sticky outline of exhaust may be helpful to us neophytes.

- doc

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Bob Ida exhaust

My Ida exhaust has been shipped this week so after I try it out I will post my comments; although, the Ida exhaust has been discussed previously in another thread.

Ed

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Ed:

Is there a website for the Ida exhaust?

Is is true that the full Ford Racing (rear exit) exhaust is just too loud to be streetable?

- doc

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Bob Ida

www.idaautomotive.com

Yes the Ford racing exhaust is too loud for most people on the street including pedestrians.

Dave

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Dave:

Much appreciated. I was concerned about the Ford Racing Exhaust for regular street use.

- doc

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Do not forget that the off raod full racing exhaust includes headers. You can change just the muffler, this is usually called the "Borla" on the forum. This is the direction I have chosen. I should get the muffler today, and hope to get it on in the next week or so....

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
The Borla muffler appears to carry a lot of GT-tax (that taxation [price] imposed as a penalty for having too much money and spending it on a Ford GT...similar to gas guzzler tax). I'll be curious as to how you find the new sound.

- doc

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
Doc,

One other thing you might want to take into account is the weight of the stock muffler vs. replacements like the Bob Ida solution. I picked-up my car yesterday after having it in for its first service and Roush had several OEM mufflers there at the time. I picked one up and was amazed at how heavy they are! In addition to the heat advantages often cited some of the other solution (eg. Bob Ida) are apparently much lighter and this is weight off the very back of the car.

Rob

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Rob:

Ida notes in his ads that his muffler has a tuned sound, better performance characteristics and is much lighter.

My concern remains how it can be maintained in warranty with an Atlanta installation.

Then again, I have a car with missing parts, so perhaps that is the least of my concerns.

- doc

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
eshrink said:
Rob:

Ida notes in his ads that his muffler has a tuned sound, better performance characteristics and is much lighter.

My concern remains how it can be maintained in warranty with an Atlanta installation.

Then again, I have a car with missing parts, so perhaps that is the least of my concerns.

- doc
doc,

I believe the Ida muffler is stainless steel. I'm no mechanical engineer but if it's stainless steel I believe you'll be dead and/or committed before you need a new one.

Rob

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Rob:

Likely I shall be dead or committed before I can get one. Nonetheless, I do like the concept of the Ida exhaust.

He needs to give me one, have it installed, have me write a biased review in favor of it.

The American Dream.

- doc

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
doc,

I’m nominating you for “Ford GT Forum 2006 Poster of the Year”. Not only do you have the funniest posts of anyone on this site but it’s obvious to me, based on your amazing posting frequency, that you’ve cancelled every patient visit you’ve had scheduled since you got your car. My only concern is that there are clearly a large number of not-so-stable people running around GA without counsel because you bought a GT!

Rob

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Rob:

People are so well-informed, cordial, helpful and tempered here that it is unlike any other car forum I have visited. As a result, this forum has resulted in my developing P.W.D. (Post Whore Disorder). I am looking for a 12-Step Program to address that.

Perhaps the inflated ego and control freak lurks here on the Forums, but I have not met him. People have been incredibly helpful and instructive. You ask a question, and someone has an immediate answer.

Unquestionably, I do not help patients by being here, but perhaps I help myself by doing so. And many have likely thought that I have needed help for quite a few years.

Also, it occurs to me that sitting across from a troubled patient would likely be very depressing. It is probably better that I do not listen to them. Besides the voices in my head (that tell me to burn things) are much more entertaining...especially those that are in two part harmony.

- doc

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Gierkink said:
doc,

I believe the Ida muffler is stainless steel. I'm no mechanical engineer but if it's stainless steel I believe you'll be dead and/or committed before you need a new one.

Rob

Yes it is stainless and he has had dealers calling him to get them for customer cars. Do you think that that will void a warranty which is controlled by the dealer? I don't think its an issue in any way shape or form. Ford/SVT is well aware of his exhaust sytem.

Dave

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Dave:

Likely at the discretion of the dealer. Viper dealers, for example, often have a complete aftermarket service capacity and install Paxtons, Motons, Borla, 3.55 rear and Quaife. A high performance Ford dealer may have the same capacity. I do not know if there is a Ford dealer in Atlanta that would install an Ida exhaust and support the warranty on the vehicle. I also do not know if the Ida exhaust and the Kinetics exhaust (here in Georgia) are comparable.

- doc

Last edited:

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
eshrink said:
Dave:

Likely at the discretion of the dealer. Viper dealers often have a complete aftermarket service capacity and install Paxtons, Motons, Borla, 3.55 rear and Quaife.

- doc

Doc
I agree at discretion of dealer but I do not see that as an issue if you know how to make friends with your dealer. Of course if you don't know how to make firends with the dealer anything can be rejected much more easily.

Dave

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Dave:

I fully understand what you are saying. However, I do not wish to be friends with my dealer, and I do not seek a relationship with him. I want a distant and objective business arrangement based upon binding contractual agreements and exchanges of requisite funds. I would want assurances, and it would be helpful to know of a corporate policy on aftermarket modifications of the GT. If it is a problem, I would not embark. If it is, within reasonable limits, acceptable as it is with Viper, then I would be more comfortable.

But I do understand and respect that your assessment and needs are different than that.

- doc