Engine Bay Light Kit Fail

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
This is the kit supplied by Exoticare. After working fine for a few months, the lights did not switch on with Fob 1. First step of diagnosis was to try Fob 2. They worked! Ok, I only need one fob. Fast forward a few weeks and Fob 2 fails. wtf? The indicator lights work on both fobs, and they haven't been used much, so I don't believe the batteries are dead. They are oddball batteries though. 12V cylinder about the diameter of a AAA but shorter. Never seen one like it. Ideas?

beckertb

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
Beaumont, TX
yes.....they are readily available. the remotes for my gate operators are the same......i dont have the batteries in front of me

ben

andymlow

GT Owner
May 17, 2007
Sarasota, FL
They have the batteries all over the place - I think even Walgreens has them. Could be battery.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
#2032 - any grocery store or pharmacy.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
^^^ 2032 is a flat 3v. These are cylinder 12v. Lead Mercury. Besides, I don't think the batteries are bad, although I suppose I should replace one to be sure. I was just wondering if anyone else had both fobs fail within a short time.

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Stop playing with your fobs Gary. You'll go blind.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Best advice yet!

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
I have had the kit for one year without issues.....my Scud also has the same setup; you might replace the battery on one set and if does not work, I am sure Andy will take care of you.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Its a size N cell and many garage door openers and car remote fobs use them. Try replacing the cheap Chinese cell they come with first. Both of the batteries in mine also died in short order. Replacement energizer has worked fine since. Good luck and report back.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
I would call Andrew at Exoticare. He is always quick to respond and very helpful

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
One battery tested bad...9v. The other tested at 12v. Andrew suggested swapping batteries, so I did and now both fobs work. lol. Maybe a layer of oxide on the contacts. I don't know why I never think the easiest solution will work. :facepalm: This has to be one of the cheapest GT repairs on record. :lol Thanks for the tips and for your patience with me.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Well, the joy was short lived. The remotes worked after swapping batteries, but I got new batteries anyway and they both worked for a few days. Then both quit, although one worked one more time before quitting altogether. Changing batteries now doesn't work. Coincidently, I reprogrammed my garage door openers at about the same time. Is there a possibility I somehow unpaired the remotes from the receiver? The lights are cool, but I'm ready to rip them out.

Exoticare

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Jul 18, 2006
Great White North
PM sent