Drove a Tesla today...

Mark06GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I drove up to long island today to test drive a Tesla on an autocross track. It was a blast.

The acceleration is impressive. It felt like there was a black hole sucking the car to the other end of the straightaway. The coolest part is that the powerband is available at any speed – no waiting to get to a couple thousand RPM before the car responds; instant gratification at any speed.

The interior is narrower than the GT, but very comfortable. It contains amenities like heated seats, integrated Bluetooth technology, GPS, etc. It also has a pretty good sized trunk. Ingress/egress is more difficult than the GT because of the high sill under the door and low roof line. The steering wheel is small and there is no power steering. The car is light so it wasn’t too difficult to maneuver at low speeds. The lack of power steering once the car was moving gave a very good feel for the road.

I’m really impressed by what the Tesla people have put together. They’ve done what many “experts” have said was impossible.

3054039197_cd72b95020_b.jpg

3054040049_331de9a3f2_b.jpg

3054874102_49f53b6a17_b.jpg

3054874460_3da173391a_b.jpg

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Good news!!
What is happening with Tesla?? Saw one at concourso italano, liked it!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeh! I like the FGT much more gooder! :lol

Mark06GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
What is happening with Tesla??

They've delivered about 70 cars so far and are just about ready to increase their production rate again. They’re selling their power trains to other companies, and that part of the company is already profitable. The roadster part of the company is planned to be cash-flow positive within 5-8 months. They’re still working on their sedan, but are being held up by DOE loan guarantees.

I really hope these guys make it. I would love for an American company to put one in the win column with such an innovative and unique product.

FLY GT40

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2006
So. Ca.
nice mud flaps on 320kmh

I drove up to long island today to test drive a Tesla on an autocross track. It was a blast.

The acceleration is impressive. It felt like there was a black hole sucking the car to the other end of the straightaway. The coolest part is that the powerband is available at any speed – no waiting to get to a couple thousand RPM before the car responds; instant gratification at any speed.

The interior is narrower than the GT, but very comfortable. It contains amenities like heated seats, integrated Bluetooth technology, GPS, etc. It also has a pretty good sized trunk. Ingress/egress is more difficult than the GT because of the high sill under the door and low roof line. The steering wheel is small and there is no power steering. The car is light so it wasn’t too difficult to maneuver at low speeds. The lack of power steering once the car was moving gave a very good feel for the road.

I’m really impressed by what the Tesla people have put together. They’ve done what many “experts” have said was impossible.

3054039197_cd72b95020_b.jpg

3054040049_331de9a3f2_b.jpg

3054874102_49f53b6a17_b.jpg

3054874460_3da173391a_b.jpg

Nice mud flaps on your car(320MPH) :thumbsup The tesla looks good to thanks for sharing.:wink

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
I believe many of us would like to see Tesla become successful; however, the company is fighting incredible forces against it. Consider: The young company is now on its 4th CEO. The fellow who's CEO now (Elon Musk) is the thirty-something co-founder of PayPal who hit the jackpot several years following his departure as CEO of the company. He's CEO of Tesla by virtue of being its largest shareholder. They've already burned through $150mm+ of VC funds and millions of dollars of customer deposits. They now raised only about a third of what they were originally seeking in this third or fourth round of funding (with Musk putting in even more). They've laid off about 35% of their employees, closed an office and halted development of their one other model. They seriously misjudged the cost of production of the roadster. Deliveries to some Tesla buyers are now ~2+ years overdue. Deposits can be used as working capital placing these buyers as unsecured creditors. Only ~70 of 1,200 orders have been delivered. These cars were delivered with transmissions that are 50% slower in acceleration than promised, though these owners have been promised new transmissions (How much will that cost to fulfill?).

As I said at the top, it would be remarkable to have an American auto company succeed in this endeavor but it ain't going to be easy. The good news is Musk has deep pockets.

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Kelvin, I agree with you, 110%

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeh! I like the FGT much more gooder! :lol

If you're suggesting, and I believe you are, that the appearance of the Ford GT is considerably more attractive than the other vehicle, I am tempted to agree. :biggrin

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Just curious how miles until recharge?

Is that a generator in the background of one of the pictures for recharging?

Being experienced in trailers that would be a bit too much to tow around.

Dave

Last edited:

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
About 220 miles between charges.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
How many minutes on a road race course before the power falls off from the batteries overheating, or being drained?

I don't know any of the spec, but IMHO, I don't think this car will be used much in an open track event; after one session you it be due for a lengthy recharge cycle.

I wish them the best of luck, auto are a tough market where you need DEEP pockets!

Mark06GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Is that a generator in the background of one of the pictures for recharging?

Being experienced in trailers that would be a bit too much to tow around.

Dave

Yes, that is a generator, but the Tesla didn't tow it. They had other vehicles with them to tow the generator.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I was heading out of town today for turkey dinner with my parents. I was in our white GT. Not 5 miles from my house a Tesla passed me on the highway. I rolled up on the guy and asked him to pull over for a look. He got his car 5 days ago. #35 of the 70 or so that have been delivered. Seems to be put together pretty well. He allowed me to sit in the drivers seat. At 6'4" I fit ok with head clearance. Knees flexed a little more than in the GT. I fit in it about like a Lotus Elise.
Hopefully the company survives. Now that I've seen one, I'll have more interest in their development of a better tranny, etc. Worth a watch over the next year or two.

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
My Tesla

I just got a call from Telsa, my roadster is shipping today, should have it May 10th ;-)

Mark06GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Excellent. I'm still slated for August.

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
I just got a call from Telsa, my roadster is shipping today, should have it May 10th ;-)

Take some pix and share with us your impressions.