Developing the GT40 race car, event at Simeone Museum, Philly, Jun 4 and Jun 11

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Gents, I received this announcement from The Simeone Museum, in Philadelphia. Camillo will be there on Jun 11th. In case you want to attend, bring your cars too. The last time I was there with my 2005 GT for a "Demo Day" (when they actually drive the museum's cars around the back lot), Fred Simeone told me to bring it over and park it by the GT40's. I offered to let him drive it, but he passed.

Anyway, if you've never been to this museum, it's one of the best, and its focus is important race cars.

Developing the Ford GT
Press Release
First time all variations of the racing Ford GT have appeared together
Simeone Museum Event To Explore Development of the Ford GT
The birth and evolution of the Ford GT – the iconic car that won Le Mans four times in the 1960s – will be explored at an event at the Simeone Museum in Philadelphia on June 4th. The “Birth and Evolution of the Ford GT” will have on display, for the very first time at the same place, all the racing variations of the Ford GT: Mk I, Mk II, and Mk IV, as well as a Lola Mk 6, the car many believe was the inspiration for the Ford GT.
The origins and development of the Ford GT will be discussed in a program that will feature three noted authorities on the marque: former driver for Shelby American and owner of the Lola, Allen Grant; author of Ford Racing Century and builder of the Kar-Kraft continuation Mk IVs, Mike Teske; and the author of the most comprehensive history of endurance racing, Time and Two Seats, Janos Wimpffen. Historian/photographer Harry Hurst will moderate.
After the discussion, several cars in the display will be taken out for demonstration runs on the Museum’s back lot.
The event begins at noon and is included with regular museum admission. In addition to the cars above, the display will also include a 2005 and 2019 Ford GT, both cars designed and developed with the original cars as inspiration. The cars will remain on display at the museum until June 12th.

A second event is scheduled for June 11that 11 AM featuring Camilo Pardo, the Ford designer who penned the 2005 Ford GT. The very car he used as inspiration, Ford GT-40 Mk I chassis #1030, will be on display for Pardo to use in his discussion.
The Ford GT-40 Mk I (chassis #1030) that will be displayed is owned by Benjamin Levy. The Lola Mk 6 (#LGT.P) is owned by Allen Grant. The Ford GT Mk II (#XGT1) and Mk IV (#J-8) are both part of the permanent collection at the Simeone Museum. A street model of the Ford GT-40, the Mk III, was made in very small numbers but was not intended for racing.
During the discussion, participants will use the cars on display to illustrate design details that are important in the evolution of the car. Video will be projected on the large screen above the stage so attendees can see it close up. The event is scheduled to be streamed live on Facebook.
The Ford GT has its origins in the early 1960s when the Ford Motor Company was looking to improve its stodgy image with Baby Boomers who were beginning to enter the car market. Executives, led by Lee Iacocca, determined that the growing sport of auto racing would be a good way to project a dynamic image. Rebuffed after trying to buy Italian sports car manufacturer Ferrari, Henry Ford II gave the order for Ford to build a car that would win the torturous Le Mans 24-hour endurance race. To expedite the design of the car, Ford executives bought a small English manufacturer, Lola, whose owner Eric Broadley had built a compact sports coupe with a Ford V-8 engine in the back. While this car, the Lola Mk 6, was not the first Ford GT, it did act as the design inspiration for the first Mk I built in 1964. This car came to be called the Ford GT-40 since its roofline was only 40 inches above the ground.
Initially, the new car, which was built in England, was not successful but with the modifications made by the ex-hot rodders at Shelby American in California, the Ford GT became a world-beater, winning the Le Mans race in 1966, 1967, 1968, and 1969.

Reactions: Pettyfan43

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Too bad this aligns with Carlisle.

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
The June 4th event also conflicts with the Greenwich Concours (at which I'm showing the 2021 Heritage, but that may be on the 5th only).

Anyone from the northeast going to either event? Would be fun to meet up.

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Ditto Carlisle.
I think there is another GT related meeting there on the 11th. If so, I'd be interested in going.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
I'll be at Greenwich.
Like Pete, I've taken my GT to the Simione Museum for their GT Driving Day in the past.

Attachments

• Ford GT At Simione F.jpg
    Ford GT At Simione F.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 15
Reactions: KennethClay

Kpgarage

GT Owner
Mar 17, 2019
Ford Carlisle is 6/3-5/22 if that helps

06VistaBlueGT

Aug 30, 2006
Live about 45 minutes from the museum in Chester County Pa. Amazing place to go. Met Dr. Simeone years ago at Radnor Hunt Concours as my transplant doctor (in 2003) is friends with him and he told me about this doctor with a huge car collection in Philly (before his actual museum was setup). It's a bucket list to do for any car person. The 1st show I can't make, but the 2nd show on June 11, will be great as Camilo will be there and I'd love to hear what he's gonna talk about. Plus I can get him to sign my GT book. Maybe I'll drive my Mustang down for the morning. If anyone is in the area, will be worth seeing it.

Pettyfan43

GT Owner
Mar 29, 2022
Patterson Ca.
Would love to attend but on the wrong coast bummer great read though.

Reactions: dshears