Cracked weld on FRPP muffler

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
The GT Guys discovered this. I've been getting a tinny/buzzy sound (like a loose baffle might cause) at about 2k rpm. I wonder if this is the cause or if something else may be loose inside.

FRPP.jpg

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I have the same muffler and a similar annoying sound. Shelby told me he thought mine had a cracked weld inside. Apparently fairly common. Unfortunately for us, if so, the mufflers are quite pricey.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
The Borla should have a million mile "lifetime" warranty to the original owner. Do a search you will find some photos on one that failed inside. 911teo I think posted them. I just got a new one and my understanding is they modified the muffler to address the cracked welds. I hope that is the case.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?17913-Borla-problems/page4&highlight=welds+borla

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I sent an email to Borla with the photo. We'll see what they have to say. Sinovac knows a great welder in our area. I'm wondering if it's worth cutting the box open, stuffing it with steel wool and rewelding. Or maybe just hang it in the garage and get an x-pipe. Sinovac already has me mesmerized with his headers and polished Borla though...so if I go that way, keeping the Borla would be nice.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Same thing happened to me about three years ago. I had all external welds redone by an stainless welding shop. They said the factory welds were pretty, but shallow. They rewelded all my external welds and they look wide and deep. I have had no indication of internal problems, so don't give up on the muffler until you reweld the externals. Borla told me they would be happy to fix the problem if I had the original receipt (I didn't) and I mailed the 40 lb muffler to them! The rewelding was very affordable. Bottom line: I love my Borla.

Howard

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Get an X/H pipe. Case solved!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Get an X/H pipe. Case solved!
Those are substantially louder for those with Cat deletes or headers.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Where/who/when did you get the muffler from, Gary? If you're the second owner, you may be SOL with Borla. From what I understand, as Clinton mentioned, this was mostly an problem with older mufflers. But they seem to be quite receptive if you're the original owner and have had weld issues.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Ed, I got the muffler used on an eBay auction. I was the only bidder, so I got it for the reserve...$1,400. Can't blame the seller...it was fine when I got it.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I would still give Borla a call to see what it would cost to have them repair/rebuild it to current specs.

If the problem is only that one external seem, then having a local guy TIG weld shouldn't be too costly and with the right shielding maybe it can be done in place. LOTS of shielding! However another weld could fail anywhere in the future so YMMV.

Last edited:

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Ed, I got the muffler used on an eBay auction. I was the only bidder, so I got it for the reserve...$1,400. Can't blame the seller...it was fine when I got it.

I'm sure it was fine when you received it. They're obviously known to fail by several members' accounts. Like Clinton said, doesn't hurt to contact Borla. Who knows, even if you are the second owner, maybe they'll still stand behind their product??

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Before you cut the box open, I would re-weld the split seam first as Howard suggested. Unlike the OEM breadbox, the Borla muffler is easy enough to remove from the car if this repair didn't work. I would be happy to help you.

standj

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 23, 2007
Wyoming
Guys, I bought mine used from a member on the forum, which later cracked in a similar place. Even though I wasn't the original buyer Borla replaced the unit with the help from Jack at MMP.

Good luck

John

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Gary,

Borla has confirmed a direct correlation between this failure and passing over a double line. :)

Bill

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona
Gary,

Borla has confirmed a direct correlation between this failure and passing over a double line. :)

Bill

Also caused by driving over cattle guards at speed. :biggrin

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
All I'm gonna say is, if you have a problem with your Borla, give them a call.

I can't wait to take Sinovac up on his offer to shine my can.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I can't wait to take Sinovac up on his offer to shine my can.

But you must call me in the morning and send flowers.