Corner weighting

andreikoc

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2013
I just measured the distance from the ground to the apex of the wheel arches with 32 lb (Bridgestones) per wheel:

DF=28
DR=29 1/2
PF=28
PR=30

I see the 1/2" difference when seeing car from behind. I know I can never haver perfectly symmetrical wheel arch heights and equal conner weighting. Am I just picking nits? Fronts are equal.

andreikoc

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2013
BTW, the thread is because I can see the mismatch from the rear. Orthodontist so I see really minor alignment issues.

1434gt

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2006
are you on level surface all around ,could be a number of things ,the gt guys will know more about your question

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
take two lbs of air from the high side and add two lbs to the low side :) jk, the cars are hand build and it might be your clam shell that needs adjusting if your measuring from the ground to apex of wheel arch, measure from the ground to the frame that should tell you if its in the suspension or the body. if you have adjustable coilovers well that its easy enough to adjust.

Last edited:

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...measure from the ground to the center of the wheel that should tell you if its in the suspension or the body.....

Isn't this just measuring each wheel & tire??? What does this have to do with the suspension? or the body?

What am I missing here?

Last edited:

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Isn't this just measuring each wheel & tire??? What does this have to do with the suspension? or the body?

What am I missing here?

sorry I meant to say from the ground to the frame, if the frame is level then its in the body unless the car was hit and the frame is not true

1434gt

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2006
maybe 1/2 inch is within spec?

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
I'm on vacation and not near my car, so I can't measure suspension height. But I did corner balance the GT after the GT Guys lowered it and the balance was very close to optimum, so someone was paying attention at the factory. By the way, total weight was 3500 lbs....surprisingly heavy.

Howard

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
You need to be on very level ground, check level with engineers level, across both axles. measure from chassis pick up points to ground(that's where the wishbone meet the chassis),, the body may be different each side from new, if you are out then you need adjustable spring perches, and have car set up on scales, you may need to compromise.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I'm on vacation and not near my car, so I can't measure suspension height. But I did corner balance the GT after the GT Guys lowered it and the balance was very close to optimum, so someone was paying attention at the factory. By the way, total weight was 3500 lbs....surprisingly heavy.

Howard

The weight is pretty much spot on, as the dry weight was spec'ed at 3,350 lbs. See Page 21 in document below -

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I wouldn't advise messing around with the clamshell. Contrary to very popular opinion here - many refer to clamshell adjustments when the reality is that when the clamshell is fitted properly, everything else is fitted to it.

A 1/2" variance is not abnormal. If it bothers you - you can add adjustable spring perches which is a very easy remedy and also lets you set any ride height you want. We stock our own adjustable perches - been installing them for years.

andreikoc

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2013
This weekend will find the discrepancy. Done this before