Collecting cars vs. guns

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I'm not sure those stats are quite right.

You are right. My math was wrong by a factor of 365. I thought you quoted the UK numbers as deaths per day, but they were per year whereas the US stats were in days.

I believe the US stats include any guns deaths, included those caused by police shootings and suicide somewhat skewing the data.

FLY GT40

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2006
So. Ca.
When it becomes criminal to own guns, only the criminals will own them.

Look at Mexico where only the criminals and the cops have guns.:mad:devil:bang

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
I think the latest stats showed nearly 100 gun related deaths per day in the USA against 40 a year in the UK (of which just 28 a year were by hand gun). So the whole gun thing is a bit alien to us. However if we were allowed to have them, I'd definitely have several!

Neil,

It's odd that the most coveted guns in the world are produced in London. My two favorite makers, James Purdey & Sons and Holland & Holland have beautiful showrooms there. Violence in America involves a lot more than guns. Switzerland has a higher gun ownership rate than America but a lower crime rate than the U.K. Did you know that murders commited with the assailents bare hands is 4 times higher in the U.S. than in the U.K.? BUT.....the average Brit has the same # of hands as the average American. In the U.K. auto theft is sky high and occupied home invasions are common. In the U.S., occupied home invasions are very rare as 50+% of U.S. households are armed and entering a home involves a high risk of being shot. I wear a .45 Auto exposed all day every day at work, I wear it into the bank when I make my deposits, and take it off in the car on the way home and toss it into the glove box. An lawfully armed society is a polite society.

Chip

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
An lawfully armed society is a polite society.

Chip

:agree:

I guess that explains the rudeness in CA. :lol

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
All these talks lead me to one of my favorite lines from movies.., Iron Man. The best kind of weapon is the one you only need to fire it once.....

GTED