Clutch chatter

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
Hey guys, has anybody experienced intermittent clutch chatter? My car has about 580 miles on it and seems to have this issue on occasion and has had since day one. I haven't pinpointed the reason yet and I know it's not me. I'm going to gauge the driving cycles (around town, stop and go etc.) when I notice it the most. Maybe I need to drop the hammer a few times to heat and smooth the disk? Anybody have amy suggestions? Thanks in advance!

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
bigdan40,
At 750 miles so far, I haven't noticed any clutch chatter at all. I am pretty sensitive to it so I'm pretty sure I haven't experienced any yet. Does it occur at the beginning of engagement or towards the end?

Rong

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2006
I have had the same issue on take off since new (890 miles now) and I am hoping it will disappear also but that may be wishful thinking

glord

GT Owner
Mar 25, 2006
Los Gatos California
Same issue from day one. I currently have 800 miles. I've also noticed the clutch dissengages quite high in its travel. Mot sure if the two are related. I plan to ask my dealer about the two issues on my nex visit.

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
When I slide/feather the clutch and work it with throttle I can get it to launch smoothly everytime but if I'm a little to quick with it I get chatter. My catch point is also high glord but I would just attribute that to original set up. I'm probably being paranoid because my '02 Viper when new had a similar problem at 200 miles and it turned out to be the rear main seal. You could imagine how upsetting it is to have your car "devirginized" at 200 miles! I'm going to give it some time but I find it interesting that others have this issue also. I hope more guys reply to this thread for a larger feedback.

Dwight

Apr 4, 2006
Jacksonville, Fl
Clutch chatter is not unusual with a Twin disc clutch set-up, the GT is one of the smoother ones we have drivin next to the NSX. The NSX does not have the power of the GT so they use different clutch material.

We are working with Tilton on a new clutch for the GT. It will be a Carbon on Carbon set-up, they have one of Joe's old clutchs and they know they can do a 3 disc clutch, but we are hoping for a 4 disc clutch.

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
STAGE 6 said:
Clutch chatter is not unusual with a Twin disc clutch set-up, the GT is one of the smoother ones we have drivin next to the NSX. The NSX does not have the power of the GT so they use different clutch material.

We are working with Tilton on a new clutch for the GT. It will be a Carbon on Carbon set-up, they have one of Joe's old clutchs and they know they can do a 3 disc clutch, but we are hoping for a 4 disc clutch.

You make a good point! I'm an Acura dealer and have been selling NSX's since day one but never once had this issue! I agree with the power difference but in retrospect do you agree that for the price of the GT that if Ford new this could be an inherint problem they would have stepped it up on the disc material (carbon/carbon) as you say! Could it be possible that it's a disc heat up issue that's causing the chatter, maybe hot spots?