Check the supercharger oil fluid level

Tomcat

GT Owner
Stock supercharger-2006 FGT
I could not find in my owner's manual specific oil or how/where to check supercharger oil...yet 30k maintenance says do this?
What am I missing, THANKS

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Fill to the black plug in the photo below. See post #5 in the following thread for the specific oil: http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...l-for-supercharger&highlight=supercharger+oil

DSC_4849.jpg

Last edited:

Tomcat

GT Owner
THANKS...But no way to check it?
Manual says nothing (that I can find).

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
THANKS...But no way to check it?
Manual says nothing (that I can find).

Unscrew the plug and see if any oil comes out. If not, add a little oil until it starts to overflow. You can also insert a small wire or toothpick to check the level.

Tomcat

GT Owner
I noticed today, after a drive with the engine normally hot and the engine bonnet lifted, I heard (what I feel) is a little more whirrling noise coming from the supercharger while idling the engine in a quite garage. I will admit that I rarely find myself in this hot-engine-idling-bonnet-up situation (so my baseline/database is minimal) but I was just checking things over. I had the supercharger reputably checked/serviced about 11,000 miles ago (47,000 total miles now). I loosened/removed the supercharger oil port and oil did not leak out BUT a toothpick showed substantial oil (its just below the port lip).
What oil is recommended these days?
I lost the supercharger on another car due to loss of oil and I am paranoid.
Anything else I should look at?
Thanks!

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
I went thru 2 superchargers on mine but it might have been the amount of boost (and NOS) going thru it. 😁

Reactions: Nafod

Tomcat

GT Owner
I went thru 2 superchargers on mine but it might have been the amount of boost (and NOS) going thru it. 😁
We are at opposite ends of the spectrum (although I have a pulley/tune). Always followed your escapades!
Ps-all engine temps stay quite "normal".

Last edited:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The seal on the SC snout closest to the pulley is typically the one that will start to weep. When your car is cold, run your finger along the underside of the snout from the pulley back toward the blower itself. It should be dry. Also, the intake manifold directly below the SC pulley is cast to look like a waffle. Make sure the "waffle squares" are dry and there' no oil in them.

Pro tip: In the event you do need to add oil, GM Part #12345982 is the EXACT same oil as the Motorcraft - but much more readily available AND less expensive

Reactions: donnymac

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
How often should the supercharger oil on my 4.0L whipple be changed? Is it based on mileage or time?

Tomcat

GT Owner
The seal on the SC snout closest to the pulley is typically the one that will start to weep. When your car is cold, run your finger along the underside of the snout from the pulley back toward the blower itself. It should be dry. Also, the intake manifold directly below the SC pulley is cast to look like a waffle. Make sure the "waffle squares" are dry and there' no oil in them.

Pro tip: In the event you do need to add oil, GM Part #12345982 is the EXACT same oil as the Motorcraft - but much more readily available AND less expensive
I will check the areas that you suggest and will use GM Part #12345982 to maximize level. I am pretty sure that although the fluid did not leak out when I loosened/removed the plug, the reservoir was pretty high (and clean) using a toothpick dipstick. I'm pretty sure I'm just being paranoid.

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia

Supercharger oil level check?

supercarger filler plug Guys if you are doing a pulley swap, drill and tap the top of the housing for a 1/4NPT so much easier to fill it up, just leave the lower plug out , plenty of rags, when the oil runs out the lower hole , that's it..

Reactions: Anderson and Tomcat