Changing out the center speaker

Hugh

Mar 27, 2006
Has anyone considered relocating the sub to the passenger footwell? Since I don't have my GT yet I have no idea how much room there is down there but a good installer can build a custom box for an 8" or 10" sub.

This was done in my NSX using an 8" JL sub. Here's a pic of the box.

sub3.jpg

Here's the box/sub installed in the passenger footwell. Since the factory sub (a 3" POS Bose) was originally in there, the new sub did not take up any additional room.

sub4.jpg

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I guess anything is possible, but I don't care enough about music to do major surgery on the car. I just want to get rid of that sub-woofer enclosure. It looks out of place!

BlackICE

Last edited:

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Good Idea - but the passenger footwell cover is removable and grants access to the fuse panel, dead man switch etc....

Just can't cramp five lbs of crap into a three lb bag is the basic problem here.

Biffom - where are you at with this project... I am awaiting the finale!

92NSX

Mar 22, 2006
BlackICE said:
I guess anything is possible, but I don't care enough about music to do major surgery on the car. I just want to get rid of that sub-woofer enclosure. It looks out of place!

BlackICE

Buy the replacement panel for it then. :biggrin

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I bought the replacement panel at the same time as the car. I knew the sub had to go!.

BlackICE

biffom

GT Owner
Oct 9, 2005
Venice, CA
MAD IN NC said:
Biffom - where are you at with this project... I am awaiting the finale!

The car is in with Ford having the windshield replaced - it's awaiting rubber strips that apparently will not be ready until the 26th!!!!!! This was a one day job 3+ weeks ago! So my project is on hold...

I tested the Mac without the woofer and the sound was acceptable (note: I'm no audiophile).

The Mac amp will fit behind the passenger seat when the child seat mounts are removed - still allowing the passenger seat to be set all the way back.

The plan is to mount the mac on an aluminum plate and then bolt that to the bulkhead using the child seat mount bolt holes. My audio guys will make up a 1' extension cable to connect the amp to the existing loom.

I like this mod as it is really quite trivial and totally reversible.

So when I get finally get my car back - I'll do it and post some pics.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Biffom, What's the model number on the amp? Thanks FJP

92NSX

Mar 22, 2006
BlackICE said:
I bought the replacement panel at the same time as the car. I knew the sub had to go!.

BlackICE

I see.
I went and looked at the GT we have on the showroom today and was really shocked at just how large and intrusive that thing is. :eek
Totally understand now why everyone wants to take it out.

PHXGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
Once the Mac amp has been moved to behind the passenger seat, would it be possible to buy another sub that would sit more flush with the trim (not stick so far out). I assume you could just run a line from the Mac amp.

Would require some custom trim work. Might be cheaper than the $2000 for the factory trim.

biffom

GT Owner
Oct 9, 2005
Venice, CA
fjpikul said:
Biffom, What's the model number on the amp? Thanks FJP

The GT is still in with Ford and I'm not going to see it for another two weeks.

A couple of the people have whipped the Macintosh out so they may be able to furnish you with the part number in the interim.

Carl.

rickisapilot

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
I agree that the sub is ugly & blocks the engine view. Looks like if the sub were at least *just lowered a bit* so that it didn't stick up above the bottom of the window glass, that would be a visual improvement. Can you guys who have dug into the sub removal comment on the practicality of somehow just lowering the sub a few inches? Kind of a compromise, but you'd get the original Mac sound and a nice view of the s/c pulley spinning.

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
Genaddi Design, the builders of the GTX-1, seems to have the best solution I've seen so far to the MAC problem. They've moved the amp behind the seat and designed a new flush leather panel that holds just the subwoofer. The sub itself is quite flat and is an elegant design that has the magnet in front "pulling" the speaker rather than behind pushing. With this you can have the MAC sound without the big boom box next to your head and have the unobstructed view of the supercharger. I'm not sure if Mark is selling this alone or only as part of a complete interior package. :banana

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
sharp33 said:
Genaddi Design, the builders of the GTX-1, seems to have the best solution I've seen so far to the MAC problem. They've moved the amp behind the seat and designed a new flush leather panel that holds just the subwoofer. The sub itself is quite flat and is an elegant design that has the magnet in front "pulling" the speaker rather than behind pushing. With this you can have the MAC sound without the big boom box next to your head and have the unobstructed view of the supercharger. I'm not sure if Mark is selling this alone or only as part of a complete interior package. :banana

The sub enclosure is a bass reflex design with a port. Mounting the sub smaller flat enclusure will degrade the performance of the sub. There is a reason that the sub take up that much space.

BlackICE

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
BlackICE said:
The sub enclosure is a bass reflex design with a port. Mounting the sub smaller flat enclusure will degrade the performance of the sub. There is a reason that the sub take up that much space.

BlackICE

I'll post some pictures of the Genaddi Design, but Mark claims the stock MAC sounds even better. He offered to let me sit in the car and decide for myself but I never got around to it. I think most of us would gladly give up some sound for elimination of the bulge. :biggrin

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
sharp33 said:
I think most of us would gladly give up some sound for elimination of the bulge. :biggrin

I agree 100%! That is why I removed both the amp and the sub in my car. Those parts aren't worth the space they take, or the weight they add to a car like the GT. My car doesn't sound as good as the Mac system now, but it looks better and play mp3 too.

BlackICE

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
BlackICE said:
I agree 100%! That is why I removed both the amp and the sub in my car. Those parts aren't worth the space they take, or the weight they add to a car like the GT. My car doesn't sound as good as the Mac system now, but it looks better and play mp3 too.

BlackICE

Yours is definitely one very good solution. I'd prefer to have my cake and eat it too plus be able to run my ipod or mp3 player through the MAC.
The nice thing about the Genaddi Design solution is that it preserves the original parts and looks much better. I do not know if Mark is willing to sell just the panel and wiring harness or if it is only available as part of the interior package.

GT Owner
Jun 26, 2006
THAT'S why I ordered mine without the Mac....

(I'm damn-near deaf from boat racing, anyway!)

RSR1975

GT Owner
Sep 11, 2006
Yardley, PA
MacIntosh removal - is there a clean retrofit solution?

Has anyone come up with a complete "simple" and reversable clean retrofit solution to remedy this design abomination for those of us who are not audiofiles? I would love to get rid of the speaker, but really can't tear into it myself. Any great suggestions out there at this point?

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
RSR1975 said:
Has anyone come up with a complete "simple" and reversable clean retrofit solution to remedy this design abomination for those of us who are not audiofiles? I would love to get rid of the speaker, but really can't tear into it myself. Any great suggestions out there at this point?
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3434