Car and Driver article Sept 2007

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
They have a killer article on the 1967 Lemans race. They feature the #2 Mark IV. They covered the Foyt/Gurney car. At one point in the race the second place Ferrari was flashing their lights behind the GT to try to get them to abandon their plan of a conservative race. I think AJ was driving. He pulled over to a full stop to allow the Ferrari to pass. The Ferrari also stopped. The GT beat the Ferrari by 32 miles. DOH!!!! :banana:banana:banana

The number 2 car finished fourth because the clamshell blew off at speed. The driver had to lap around the track and pick up the clamshell and limp to the pits. Shelby wanted the shell to hinge at the front to prevent this.

Last edited:

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Just read it , it's a great article. Gurney was driving when Parkes was trying to fluster him with the Head light trick. Dan G describes this in one of the videos which is a funny story for sure!

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Just read it , it's a great article. Gurney was driving when Parkes was trying to fluster him with the Head light trick. Dan G describes this in one of the videos which is a funny story for sure!

So Stormcat I see you have an impeccable taste in cars and colors.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
So Stormcat I see you have an impeccable taste in cars and colors.

Ya, the Tungsten metalic is such a great color to show of the cars lines. I had to get a Red car for a back up but the Tungsten was my first choice! I all most bought another Tungsten one but my family said You're nuts for getting two GT's but your truly sick if you get two the same color!!

Last edited:

mousecatcher

GT Owner
Jun 26, 2007
San Mateo, CA
oh i don't know ... i only just got my [first] tungsten gt and i'm already considering if i should get a second. sigh, i guess i could settle for white. :)

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
oh i don't know ... i only just got my [first] tungsten gt and i'm already considering if i should get a second. sigh, i guess i could settle for white. :)

They're all Good !!:thumbsup

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
The red ones are faster though!:eek

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Gurney said Parks was a few laps down but racing behind his MKIV for several laps. Dan never asked Parks why he did this but thought it was due to to the F car being a few hundred lbs lighter than the Ford. Dan said he would pull the F car by 4 or 5 mph down the Mulsanne (even with the F car in the draft) but the lighter F car would break later thus pulling up very close to Dans rear and start flashing his lights. Dan said he could break with the F car but to do so was very hard on the breaks so instead he would let off very early and Parks picked up on this. Ferrari new they couldn't beat the MKIV's or even the MKII's so they tried to break them anyway they could, and trying to kill the big Fords breaks seemed to be as good a way as any.
Dan said this went on for many laps and it got very irritating. So after the the first turn at the end of the Mulsanne Dan just pulled off the track and stopped! Parks followed him off the track and stopped right behind Dan. There they both sat for what Dan said was about 30 sec. until Park proceded to pull up to Dans door and look to see if the lead Ford was indeed broken. Park then slowly pulled back onto the track leaving Dan behind. As he got back onto the asphalt Dan took off in hot pursuit catching, passing and pulling away from Park before the end of the lap. Park wasn't behind him for the rest of the race.
Due to there not being radios in these cars both the Ford and Ferrari pits were in a panic when both cars failed to pass the start finish for over 30 additional seconds.
There is a very coooool picture of both cars parked off the track at night with their headlights blazing away. By far this is one of my favorite racing stories. Just one of the reasons I love the old days!

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
Gurney said Parks was a few laps down but racing behind his MKIV for several laps. Dan never asked Parks why he did this but thought it was due to to the F car being a few hundred lbs lighter than the Ford. Dan said he would pull the F car by 4 or 5 mph down the Mulsanne (even with the F car in the draft) but the lighter F car would break later thus pulling up very close to Dans rear and start flashing his lights. Dan said he could break with the F car but to do so was very hard on the breaks so instead he would let off very early and Parks picked up on this. Ferrari new they couldn't beat the MKIV's or even the MKII's so they tried to break them anyway they could, and trying to kill the big Fords breaks seemed to be as good a way as any.
Dan said this went on for many laps and it got very irritating. So after the the first turn at the end of the Mulsanne Dan just pulled off the track and stopped! Parks followed him off the track and stopped right behind Dan. There they both sat for what Dan said was about 30 sec. until Park proceded to pull up to Dans door and look to see if the lead Ford was indeed broken. Park then slowly pulled back onto the track leaving Dan behind. As he got back onto the asphalt Dan took off in hot pursuit catching, passing and pulling away from Park before the end of the lap. Park wasn't behind him for the rest of the race.
Due to there not being radios in these cars both the Ford and Ferrari pits were in a panic when both cars failed to pass the start finish for over 30 additional seconds.
There is a very coooool picture of both cars parked off the track at night with their headlights blazing away. By far this is one of my favorite racing stories. Just one of the reasons I love the old days!

What a great story!

Rob

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Oooooops! Just got the new Car&Driver and read the artical. I didn't realize they told the story of Gurney and Parkes pulling off the track, sorry:shrug. Also didn't know Parkes was spelled with a "es":frown but should have known how to spell "brake":smash
The person who owns both those cars hangs out on the GT40s.com forums and seems to be a very friendly/cool car guy. :thumbsup

Last edited:

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
No apology needed. We don't all get Car and Driver, and it was a pleasure to read the great story here, as I hadn't heard it.

Thanks for taking the time to share it!