Can Anyone....pdf needed

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Could someone make a pdf of Section 501-12 of the shop manual regarding removal of the lower instrument panel cover? Thank you in advance,

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Shrink, you don't really need to remove the panel to get at the radio. Also, I've examined this section closely and there is no real help there. Not much for pictures or descriptions.

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
The description for using the tools to remove the radio (posted elsewhere on the GTForum) refers to the need to move something to get access to where the tools are inserted.

I know that the console does not need to be removed, but it is unclear where the tools are used without moving something (hmmm, thought to self...what about jacking up the radio and parking a new GT underneath...viable?)

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
No, No. On each side of the radio there is a small, silver, (metal, plastic?) cover over the slots for the removal tools. Those need to be pried off. Ford sells a "set" of tools to do this, but it consists of a small prying tool to remove these covers and the two bracket removal tools (one each side). Clarion owns Mac, so the bracket release tools (one each side) are probably available at any good car audio shop. To pry the side covers off, you need to pull straight out, not to the side.

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
I understand, and the explanation was much appreciated. I need some Ford parts, and can order the tools at that time. Have the ability to plug an iPOD into the McIntosh is a nice option.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
I tried the local Clarion dealer.... they did not have the necessary tools to pull the radio. I tried what they did have and did nothing but cut the crap out of my fingers...

Eshrink - you have to get the tools set ( I think it is 401-30). The rest is easy - First part is to pull the chrome bezels out, second is the radio removal tools - just take your time and be patient. If you look at the front of the raio after the chrome bezels are out ensure that the radio tools are between the console and the tab (you'll see it). You will have to work the tools all the way in to till the cutout is no longer visibile and then "slowly remove the radio by pulling on both tools.

Be sure to use a towel so as not to scratch the console. The RCA jacks are taped to the main harnes and the RCA plugs have covers on them in the back of the radio.

What I did was run the iPOD cable out the passenger side console vent hole and then mounted a 15" moveable stand to the seat bolt which holds the iPOD just to the right of the radio. You can find these mounts on e-bay for $30 shipped. This arrangement lets me take the iPOD out, fold down the arm to the floor and tuck the wire out of sight.....

Last edited:

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Mad:

Much appreciated. I do not understand their logic in requiring radio removal to get to the RCA jacks. It would have been simple to tuck them (even elegantly) and have the owner's manual reference where they are located. However, this is better than many cars in which an adapter is needed between the head unit and the amp, often requiring removal of part of the dash and/or console.

I need to get the tools ASAP. And yes, I am familiar with the iPOD mount to which you are referring.

I had intended to put the iPOD in the glove box...

oh...

Or perhaps in the console...

doh!

Another thing...why does the AC plug (Cf. "cigarette lighter") not power down with the ignition. On many cars it does. If I have to remember to turn off my Valentine 1 by hand, I am going to forget.