Brake pedal height

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
Has anyone lowered the brake pedal on their car? It is too high for me to heel and toe easily.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Since everyone else is silent on "lowering" the pedal, may I suggest instead of lowering the pedal, why not try a "non-butcher" remedy first. Get yourself a 1/2" thick (or whatever thickness you need) piece of rubber pad and "cut to fit" that for the foot well instead? 'Problem solved with no mods to the car. 'Cheap, quick - and REVERSEABLE.:shrug

Last edited:

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
Raise the gas pedal instead of lowering the brake pedal? I thought of that, but my legs would like a longer distance, not a shorter one.

Talking to one of the engineers that worked on the GT, he suggested moving the brake assembly back with a spacer might be a solution.

Does anyone know how to reduce the pedal travel? There is too much pedal travel for my liking. Or is this the way it has to be with power brakes?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Raise the gas pedal instead of lowering the brake pedal? I thought of that, but my legs would like a longer distance, not a shorter one.

Talking to one of the engineers that worked on the GT, he suggested moving the brake assembly back with a spacer might be a solution.

Does anyone know how to reduce the pedal travel? There is too much pedal travel for my liking. Or is this the way it has to be with power brakes?

??? I'm not following you here at all (nuthin' new for ME). I understood you wanted to LOWER the BP. 'Do not understand how lowering the pedal (virtically) has anything to do with having a "longer distance" for you legs (horizontally) ... or how moving the brake pedal back would do anything but screw up the "heel & toe" maneuver relative to the gas pedal's position.

You don't need go into clairifing it for me, Bart. It'd just be a lost cause anyway!:lol

Last edited:

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
??? I'm not following you here...

Well, I guess I am used to relating things in the common terms as I use them. Sorry.

When I speak of lowering the brake pedal, I mean positioning the pedal closer to the firewall. Looking through the direction of travel, it is highest at rest and lowest at full travel. Right now it is not on a plane with the gas pedal, it is further from the firewall.

When I track cars, I balance them by brake and throttle. I find that with light braking, I can't heel and toe because the brake pedal is too high relative to the throttle pedal.

The right fix would be to shorten the total travel of the brake pedal and position the brake pedal "just" higher than the gas pedal.

So, anyone know how to lessen total travel of the brake pedal? Higher pedal force is fine. Anyone know how to lower the brake pedal (in a plane relative to the motion towards the firewall?)

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I checked my car and you are right that the brake pedal is too high relative to the gas pedal. Looking at the service manual it seem that if the 4 bolts of brake boosters are long enough it could be mounted further away from the pedal assembly. However that is probably not a good idea since you may not get the full travel of the master cylinder piston which could be very serious if you ever get less than optimal brake performance.

Since I tend not to put the bottom of my right foot on the pedal, I plan to just mount a rubber stop to the lowest hole of the gas pedal to bring that part higher.

You must have long legs to need more legroom without running into headroom problems that I have.

MR2Race

FGT The Velvet Hammer
Apr 6, 2006
Northville Mi.
Lower the brake pedal YES you car

I have a shim that will do juts that. (Slightly lower the pedal height)

Made a few of them to help with Heel Toe driving.

Send me a note if you think you will benefit from a mod like this.

Alex

T&A Shocks

aszilagyi@comcast.net.

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
PM sent

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
This is my prototype gas pedal extender. It will sandwich the stock gas pedal. I will add spacers between the extender and stock gas pedal to find out what height is best it. Also the top left of the pedal is extended closer to the brake pedal by about 3/4".

For those that don't mind a shorter reach to the gas pedal this may be a good solution.

Once I know the final dimensions, a friend will fabricate a replacment gas pedal with some height and cable length adjustments. Also adjustable pedal stops for full throttle and no throttle positions.

Attachments

• Gas pedal 2.jpg
    Gas pedal 2.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 108
  • Gas Pedal.jpg
    Gas Pedal.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 109

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
Looks like a good solution. Especially for anyone who would like the pedal closer.

Alex is retrieving his shims for moving the brake pedal further away. Looks like I may be testing a few lengths to determine the best position for heel-toe.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Looks like a good solution. Especially for anyone who would like the pedal closer.

Alex is retrieving his shims for moving the brake pedal further away. Looks like I may be testing a few lengths to determine the best position for heel-toe.

Let us know how much work the install is for the shims.