Brake Pad Residue in Caliper Holes

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Yesterday I ran the GT at the Streets of Willow at Willow Springs and for the second time I had brake pad residue gather (and actually fill up) in the disk's cooling holes. :bored
I run Mintex pads and really like them on the street and at the track.
Anyone else had this occur?

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Yesterday I ran the GT at the Streets of Willow at Willow Springs and for the second time I had brake pad residue gather (and actually fill up) in the disk's cooling holes. :bored
I run Mintex pads and really like them on the street and at the track.
Anyone else had this occur?

I had this happen with the stock pads at a track event. There was Ferrari F430,, same issue, they had an air compressor and just blew it out,,

GT350H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 3, 2006
Portland, Oregon
I ran the Mintex Xtreme pads on my GT at Portland International Raceway for a HPDE track day last summer. During one 20 minute session, on a cool morning, my pads looked like they had melted and also filled up the holes on the rotors. Needless to say, my track day ended early.
PIR is a track that is hard on brakes due to the sharp turns at the end of the front and rear straights. I have since used the Cobalt racing pads without any further issues.

Last edited:

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
Yesterday I ran the GT at the Streets of Willow at Willow Springs

Man, I wish I could have joined you. I need to try out one of the cars on that track! It was probably a pretty perfect day weather wise. :thumbsup

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Same thing here with the Mintex, it is powdery and will blow out. Trying Padgids this year.

MR2Race

FGT The Velvet Hammer
Apr 6, 2006
Northville Mi.
Yes that is quite normal and will happen with all pads.

It is a misconception that the holes are for cooling.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Thanks for the feedback fellas. :thumbsup
Yeah, the residue comes out easily, just wondering about other experiences and if it meant something was too hot.
Rick, we'll be heading up to the Streets track again this year, I''ll keep you posted. The GT is a blast on the shorter track.
MR2Race, what are the holes for then....clearing brake pad residue?

Team Jeff

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2007
The holes are there to allow the pad to release gas. :biggrin

Really.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH :cheers

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
KJRGT- Did you happen to take some photos before you cleaned the rotors? If so please send me the pix. I will have my guys review them and make sure that everything is happy.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Kyle, I did not take a picture. Thanks for the offer.
Will try to remember for next time.
Take care.

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
Yes

Same happened to me on Friday. I was running Kyles floating rotors with stock pads. LOTS of dust and debris and all holes full of brake residue. Full report after we take the wheels off.

gt40man

GT owner
Aug 27, 2007
brake rotors

it is customary for race cars in the past to have the cross drilled holes in the rotors cleaned out after a race or qualifying. it is not a problem. there maybe some high tech pads that reduce this but if you get pads hot enough i have always seen this develop but again it is just not a problem just use a thin drift to push the accumulation out or in extreme cases use a small drill bit in a hand drill.