Best pulley and tune?

I've heard so many good things about having a pulley and tune that I'm thinking about getting one for my 05 (now box stock). There seem to be a number of them available - are they all the same, or are some better? Which one should I get, and why?

Thanks!

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
I went with a Hefner pulley and Torrie tune. 14,000 miles later, still very happy. I posted a thread a while back about how easy it is to fit the pulley - much simpler than the factory manual would imply. Only issues I've heard of is that some guys have had problems because they didn't modify the belt tensioner pulley and consequently got belt slippage; I didn't touch mine and so far, so good, so I guess it depends on the individual vehicle. Its the easiest/cheapest 85hp you'll ever get!

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
I have the Heffner tune,pulley, Accufab throttle body,high flow filters. Last Month I went with Torrie's 93 Octane tune vs Heffner's. Torrie's tune addresses other issues which the Heffner tune didn't i.e lower engine temp and eliminated much of the popping upon deceleration. To Texas mongrel's comment on added hp,change the stock muffler (in my case Accufabs) and you will gain circa 100 HP with all the above. I performed the pulley change myself and the procedure is very pro-forma.

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I am extremely pleased with Torrie's tune. I am using the Ford Racing pulley because I like the OEM look of it. This may or may not be important to you. I believe Heffner's pulley is also anodized black. Torrie can provide a tune for whatever pulley you get. If you don't mind spending additional money, I suggest getting the complete FRPP tune/pulley kit, use the pulley and spacers from the kit, and install a tune from Torrie. It think it is worth the extra money to have the FRPP tuner and tune, which is 50 state compliant, should you need it later. Also, who knows how long Ford will offer it.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
...and eliminated much of the popping upon deceleration.

Unless I am mistaken about what "popping" (aka burbling) is, why would you want to eliminate it?

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Totally agree with the Torrie tune. I have the Kenne Bell 2 1/2" drive, 18 PSI, Mafia, and accufab throttle body. Pulled 673HP at the wheels.

The Kenne Bell unit looks cool, but I've heard some people have had issues with oil leaks...

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Before you decide, think about a Whipple upgrade, if you change your mind later you may regret having spent the money on the pulley.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I am talking to Whipple now about a supercharger with the OEM finish. Anyone here have one like that and, if so, can you post a picture?

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
I am talking to Whipple now about a supercharger with the OEM finish. Anyone here have one like that and, if so, can you post a picture?

Do it! (And sell me your FRPP pulley;))

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Do it! (And sell me your FRPP pulley;))

Sure. It's $9,548. :lol

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Sure. It's $9,548. :lol

Price gouging by a lawyer. Color me surprised;)

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Ouch. You hurt me.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Ouch. You hurt me.

Now say it with conviction....:lol

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Ouch. You hurt me.

Truth stings a bit, eh counselor?

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
I can help out if needed with a pulley / custom tuner. You can PM or email me torrie@unleashedtuning.com

Oh and thank you to everyone who jumped in here and gave me a thumbs up. I do appreciate it.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Unless I am mistaken about what "popping" (aka burbling) is, why would you want to eliminate it?

Glad to say I still have popping under deceleration with a Torrie tune.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
It's all calibratable.