Bernard Hopkins vs. Antonio Tarver

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
The Executioner attempts to make history one more time... I'm a big Bernard Hopkins fan because he represents alot of what is right about sports and American culture in general, but I don't think a man who's spent 15 years at 160 pounds can move up to 175 to beat the premiere light heavyweight in the world, coming down from a natural weight around 200 pounds. We shall see, as the pay per view begins now :party

You have to love Bernard Hopkins story. Was a stupid kid, did his time in the state pen at Graterford, turned his life around in a prison gym, went on to shatter Monzon's record of 14 Middleweight title defenses, made millions lives clean, always stays in shape, the true professional in the ring. Not the nicest guy in the world sometimes, but he's gone from one of the worst places you can be, to one of the best from pure determination. Word.

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Wow, wasn't even close! I too bet against Hopkins, shows you how much I know!!!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
It was a stunner.

It was just hard to fathom he would whup Tarver around the ring given the trouble he had with Taylor twice. And he wasn't particularly impressive in beating De La Hoya or Eastman. He was just such a ferocious and calculating killer in the "I'm going to knock Antwun Echols out with a dislocated shoulder" era that he looked spent in the past 2 or 3 years. Apparently he was just calculating the minimum risk it would take to win all that time.

He let it roll from round 1 this time and beat a much, much bigger man. He's a real joy to watch if you're a boxing fan. He wins fight with his mind before a punch is ever thrown. Boy did he look like a sculpted bad ass at 175! This guy is 41???

Antonio-Tarver-Hopkins14.jpg