Battery problem and acid damage

bonedoc

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2006
Wichita, KS
I just bought my GT a couple days ago. It has 70 miles on it now. When it was new, it has a dead battery. The battery is dead again, after only sitting for a few hours. Well, I looked down at it, and acid had leaked or splattered all over the place, and the paint is down to the metal all over that area on the frame. I havent touched it. Should Ford be liable to replace the bad battery and the acid damage from it? It's only going to get worst.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Of course, Ford or the careless dealer who allowed your battery to go dead on his showroom floor and then incorrectly charged it with a rapid charger just to get it out the door. Try the dealer first and then call the GT hotline if you don't get satisfaction from them. 866-742-3673. Sorry for your bad luck but congrats on buying the most satisfying car in the world, IMHO.

bonedoc

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2006
Wichita, KS
Here is a pic. Should they have to replace the part? Repaint the part? If it is only a repaint. Shouldn't they remove the part to paint it? It is one of the main braces in the front, and the battery box.

Attachments

• P8180184.jpg
    P8180184.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 230

rsilverman

GT Owner
Mar 25, 2006
new jersey
I had a similiar problem at 10 miles. Had the local dealer come out, put in a new battery. He told me that at my first oil change he'd assess the extent of the damage, and take care of it.
Ford is definately liable, even though it's really the inept dealers fault!
Rob
To put the icing on the cake, my dealer also did me a favor and topped off the oil, during the final check, before delivery ( while the car was cold), and had about 2 extra quarts of oil. So check that too (the right way)

I had the same thing happen to me. Before I put the new battery back in (which took my dealer 5 days to get) I mixed some baking soda and water together and applied it with a new paint brush to any area that that looked like it might have been affected by the acid oozing from the original battery which was improperly charged by my dealer prior to me taking delivery. I then used a series of wet, damp and dry rags (which I disposed of) to clean the area up. No luck on getting anyone Ford or the dealer to replace and/or repaint anything. Good luck! Your odyssey is only beginning. :willy

JT

bonedoc

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2006
Wichita, KS
Yeah, I pissed right now. It has been there for 4 days, and they haven't done a thing. They said very little. They agree that the battery is bad, but that Ford wont replace it because they cant prove it. I have no idea what to do. What qualifies something as a "lemon"? If this keeps up, I will return it and buy somewhere responsible or at least caring.

rsilverman

GT Owner
Mar 25, 2006
new jersey
Bonedoc
You gotta find yourself another Ford dealer, that's nuts.
There's no question that this is Ford (the dealers') problem.
My local guy replaced mine, and cleaned it up, no questions asked, free of charge, and he isn't where I purchased it from.
I have found the GT customer service not to be very helpful in these matters, and I'd recommend another dealer for sure.
Rob

bonedoc

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2006
Wichita, KS
Thanks, they agreed to replace the battery and I think they are going to fix the paint. I hope it goes well...