Armor Coat

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
Did you GT lovers see that episode of Dream Car garage a few weeks ago where they mentioned ArmorCoat? Here's a link to the company website http://armorcoat.armorauto.com/ - it is a spray on bra basically. The DC guys showed a race car that they had sprayed and it had no rocks chips at all despite plenty of track time. Has anybody tried this on their GT?

BTW four more GT's have showed up on local roads. There's a Heritage, a Yellow one, a black with stripes and a silver 2005 that a fella shipped in. But because he does not have the mods done to it, he just has it on display in his home (I have offered to help him get it certified for the road though).

Also, I convinced one of my dyed-in-the-wool Viper fanatic buddies to trade his Viper roadster in for a blue GT a few months ago. He's loving it and has no regrets.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Aaaaaaaaaaah!!!! A BLUE GT! GOOD RECOMMENDATION!:thumbsup

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Is your buddy mad at you because you recommended Blue and not Black?

You better not let him see a Black GT.

Hahah.

That's great! You are amassing a fleet of GT's over there, it sounds like. Cool.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Is your buddy mad at you because you recommended Blue and not Black?

You better not let him see a Black GT.

Hahah.

That's great! You are amassing a fleet of GT's over there, it sounds like. Cool.

I look forward to seeing you black and blue owners keep those cars clean and scratch free!:biggrin I've had 3 black and two dark blue cars and they were as beautiful as they were a pain in the ars to keep nice!

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
Yes, Steve, I am also off black cars, for a little while anyway. Love the color but hate the scratches.

Back to the topic at hand, thread hijackers - any of you 'early adopters' try the Armorcoat yet?

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
Yes, Steve, I am also off black cars, for a little while anyway. Love the color but hate the scratches.

Back to the topic at hand, thread hijackers - any of you 'early adopters' try the Armorcoat yet?

Yes, I had Armorcoat applied to my Black GT. Expensive but no issues. :thumbsup

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Hey, Red (or SteveA, or whomever), let's say the unthinkable happens and an Armorcoated car gets HIT. 'Have any idea what paint match/application pblms (if any) might result from the 'coat being on it? :shrug

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
It sounds interesting but it can't be removed like film. My rocker panels have 3m film and are chipped up so badly now that I am having the film replaced. It did it's job and protected the paint but the film looks bad.

If I had the Armorcoat on it, it sounds like I'd either have to strip it and reapply like paint or just apply another coat. The film is easier and probably cheaper.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
The process to install Armor cost is extensive and includes wet sanding your clearcoat! That alone would make me not use it. If I was going to sand my paint down, I am part of the way to painting it again anyway. It will not remove and leave a nice finish as the other types of protection. I view this product as a tougher clear coat, but like a clear coat if it is damaged what do you do!

If it had the clairity of OEM clear coat with much better toughness I would think it would be used by the auto makers.

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
My rocker panels have 3m film........It did it's job and protected the paint...........

If I had the Armorcoat on it, it sounds like I'd either have to strip it and reapply like paint or just apply another coat. The film is easier and probably cheaper.

SAME HERE !!

AGREED !!