Anyone here have a Cav GT40 or thinking of getting one?

MK2_GT

GTX1 Owner
Mar 25, 2006
200 MPH and they look sweet as hell, has anyone seen one in person , driven one or just thinking of getting one?

http://www.cav.co.za/

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
When I thought that I couldn't get a GT, I did look at these - however I'm far happier with the real deal! :biggrin

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
I was seriously considering a replica GT40 for several years... but when Ford started making noises about the new GT, I decided to put it off for a while.

I just didn't want to deal with all the "Is it real?" comments... like I do with my '69 GT350.

btw... my new GT should be shipped on Tuesday... needless to say, I'm pretty excited and about to bust at the seams to tell my buddies. Most have not a clue right now.

mardyn

Last edited:

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
The other issue to think about who is going to service it? Can it pass emmissions in your state? Is it "Real" kinda sucks too.

MK2_GT

GTX1 Owner
Mar 25, 2006
Yup, I heard about it at www.gt40s.com

Mardyn congrats on the car! :cheers

I am just poking around for a track car. I really do not feel like tracking the GT when I finally get it. I am bored stiff of my 996 TT. The Cav seems like a serious performer at 200MPH. They did a helluva job on the replica part of it. It will be used as a pace car at the next Le Mans. All the negatives mentioned here are right on target though. I really would not drive it around town anyway and if I get another vehicle for the track ,I want the option to take it to work now and again.

I think I might actually do something crazy and get a customized Stang as a daily driver/ Track car. Dream car factory is making some 625HP beauties for under 90K. The DCF500GTR in Steel Blue white stripes looks crazy, sounds great too, http://www.thedreamcarfactory.com/

Last edited:

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
Don't know much about the CAV's but I know Superformance released their version last year and they look real nice. I own a Superformance Cobra and I must say that the quality, fit and finish and engineering is tremendous. You can drop a Roush 427ci small block in like I did (ran 11.60 on street tires) and have a kick ass screamer for around 85-90 grand depending on the install. These cars are turn key minus motor and tranny but are all there otherwise. You have a dealer near you in Atlanta called McMichael motorsports. Great guys who know their product and are very helpful in every way. Here's the phone number 770-965-9330. Also check out the car at Superformance.comwww.superformance.com

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
If you haven't ever been in a replica GT your in for a big disappointment..

They are TIGHT TIGHT TIGHT. Personally for the $100+ you will have in the replica you would be better off buying another GT thats been wrecked and tracking it.

The superformance Cobra's are nice but its a big jump from a $65K replica to a $100 Replica and thats what they are guestimating for the 40's...

And Superformances is the CAV car.

matt

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I took a long hard look at these and decided the fit (6'3") wasn't going to work.
The CAV and Superformance are different cars. There are about 6 good different choices with the replicas. Some you build yourself and some are finnished, some tube frame and some mono. The two I leaned towards were the CAV and SPF, fit and finnish were great. The FR40's and ERA and very good but most build these themselves.
They all have there draw backs. What transmission to run that the tons of HP you can stuff into one of these won't break is the biggest one.
They drive like go-carts and are a bunch of fun but not much of a road car.
The smog thing can be overcome and most people seem to do most of there own service.
If you are serious then spend some time on gt40s.com those guys live and breath the cars.

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
I think there are several good choices for GT40 replicas out there, but CAV, Superformance or possible ERA would be the best. I followed the demise of the Roaring Forties replica manufacturer over on GT40s.com with some interest... the principal owner left a bunch of people holding an empty bag of goods, even though substantial customer deposits were held... very shady at best.

The CAVs and Mrk II SPF cars look really good from a builders standpoint, but these are immensely complicated cars to assemble and own... I just no longer have the energy to get involved in a multi year project like a GT40 replica...

These days, I just wanna buy and ride.

mardyn

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
mardyn, the dealer of a superformance car knows all the correct applications (i.e. engine/tranny etc.) and would also have an installer if you opt not to do it yourself. All the parts are readily available and once the car is in their possession I'm sure you would be driving within two or three weeks. They actually are not that complicated at all. I believe the roller is about 65 grand and going all out with top notch parts even paying an instaler you should end up spending around 90k if the 65k for the car is correct.

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
Yea, maybe I need to clarify my post... I know the SPF and CAV come ready for the engine and transaxle.

I was really refering more to the ones sold more as a kit (rather than the "Turn Key minus" ...) that require so much time, effort , energy and committment from the owner.

mardyn

Last edited:

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
10-4. Good luck with whatever your choice is. You sound like a car guy and that's all that counts...

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
mardyn said:
These days, I just wanna buy and ride.

mardyn

Can I get an Amen! :thumbsup

Sorry to here about RF. I had e-mailed a few that were waiting for product. Hope they didn't get to badly hurt.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
The real cost of a replica.

427Aggie said:
If you haven't ever been in a replica GT your in for a big disappointment..

They are TIGHT TIGHT TIGHT. Personally for the $100+ you will have in the replica you would be better off buying another GT thats been wrecked and tracking it.

The superformance Cobra's are nice but its a big jump from a $65K replica to a $100 Replica and thats what they are guestimating for the 40's...

And Superformances is the CAV car.

matt

The real cost of any car is what it costs to buy and maintain, minus what it will be worth when you sell it someday. I don't have a crystal ball as regards GT resale values years from now but I suspect it will be pretty good. Based upon past history the resale value of any replica will be a disaster. Read a few posts on the GT40 sites and it's one heartbreak story after another for sellers of replicas and kit cars. Owning a REAL GT will be cheaper in the long run.

Chip

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
One of the guys over at GT40s.com had an opportunity to buy some real estate, but needed to raise the purchase capital quickly, he first had to sell off his GT40 replicar... It was a pretty nice car, well sorted, good power, low miles, etc etc.... I think he started at $75 or $80K asking price.

I watched it for several trips through Ebay... even considered making an offer myself of $50K... he eventually sold it "for the price of a roller kit" as he put it.... which I believe to be mid to high 30s.... that was a hell of a deal for somebody as I'm absolutely sure he had evey bit of $75K tied up and likely much more.

I'm with you for sure on this one ChipBeck... the real deal is the way to go, even if the initial buy-in is much higher.

mardyn

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
As of last year a CAV roller was about 65 to 70K. A build it yourself kit was about 30k.