Another Amp Re-locate Alternative

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I have another GT in the shop here for a couple of weeks where the owner has asked me to do a few mods for him. This was a MAC-equipped car and he elected to replace the large subwoofer/amp enclosure with the smaller, non-mac center trim piece. I suspect that there may a growing number of owners contemplating this same mod. One of the problems associated with this change is that the amp is still needed to power the speakers. Relocating it is a must if you want to kep the same head unit. Shadowman and ACRJoe have made some outstanding posts with their amp relocation/subwoofer box creation project. My friend prefers not to have a subwoofer in the car so he was just interested in the amp relocation. For those who may be interested in this alternative, I've attached some pictures of the project. I am very happy with the results.

This first pic is of the brackets I fabricated for the install. They are simply 1" x 3/16 pieces of steel. I drilled, tapped, and placed some M6 x 1.0 studs in the strips. I then tac welded the back side of the strips and ground them off flush. The studs are not permanent. The bottom bracket locates the amp using the two M10 x 1.5 child safety seat bolts. The top bracket will be attached to the bulkhead using 3M double stick tape. For those that are familiar with the gray 3M double stik tape, you know that it simply won't come off. The only "trick" of the install is that the bulkhead is recessed approx. 1" in comparison to the plane the safety seat bolts are on. So, the top bracket M6 studs are longer and act as stand-offs. Some pictures are worth a 1000 words...

CIMG1591.JPG

My paint booth cleverly disguised as a basketball court...

CIMG1593.JPG

Here the brackets are temporarily attached to the amp so that the top bracket can be properly located and fixed into position.

CIMG1596.JPG

Here is the tempoary mounting without the trim panels. You can notice the recess of the back bulkhead where the padded trim piece is placed.

CIMG1602.JPG

Now the top bracket is "permanately" attached in the right position with the 3M tape.

CIMG1606.JPG

The padded trim piece is re-installed hiding the bracket and leaving only the amp mounting studs visible.

CIMG1609.JPG

The amp is mounted and the pocket is attached to the original mounts.

CIMG1612.JPG

The seat is in the rear-most position and the car has tunes once again. (Note that the bass will be supplied by the Heffner exhaust which should arrive next week.)

CIMG1615.JPG

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
nice work as always Kendall, keep us posted, also would like your review of the Heffner exhaust. I will be selling my Heffner pulley and tune (assuming I can download it back) as I am moving to the big Whipple unit.

Aug 25, 2006
I like it when various viable options are presented.

Regardless of the approach it has become obvious that there are numerous ways to "skin a cat" and yet at the end of the day the result are more similar that different.

I am certain that yoiu are enjoying the relocated assembly and the less busy looks of your gal's interior.

Thumbs Up

Shadowman

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Hi Kendall.
Nice and clean install.
Being that car audio has been a hobby of mine for the last 20 years, I just thought I should mention that it may not be a great idea to cover the amp with carpet. This will make it impossible to get rid of the heat. I am sure that the owner will not push it much, but on a hot day, it may get a litle toasty. I know you probably know this, and you can discussed with the owner how the system will be used, so you know more than me. I just thought I should mention it for anyone that may want to do this type of mod and use the radio a lot.
It is always best to mount an amp so heat can rise from the top. What will happen is the amp will overheat and go into thermal protection. It may even be a fire hazard.
To be completely honest, it may be wiser to change the headunit to a self powered unit, especially if the sub will not be used.
Just looking out for you, buddy! :biggrin
Let me know when you need the oil replaced, Sears has it by the case! :biggrin