Aftermarket Exhaust systems

V8 FGT

GT Owner
Oct 2, 2005
London
Hi guys, I have just joined the site and was wondering if anyone knows if Ford are going to do an aftermarket sports system.
I have asked Ford and to date here in the UK they have not been able to answer me.
I took delivery of my black/silver GT in June, just 3 days before the annual trip down to Le Mans, and I simply love the car. :biggrin However I would like a bit more noise! Apprently we in the UK have the same exhaust system as the U.S as we didn't have to go through such stringent noise and emissions rules as for e.g Germany.
HOWEVER,
IMHO the exhaust note is still a little tame even at full throttle. It does crack and pop on overrun when it is hot but it still lacks a real V8 howl.

I have a few friends with 360's and one wth a diablo, they all have Tubi systems on their cars and one or two have taken the cats out, the noise is pure F1.

I dont want to go as far as taking cats out but having owned a 360 with a Tubi system I feel that the GT lacks the evocative noise it so surely deserves.
:thumbsup
Any help greatly appreciated.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
V8 FGT said:
Hi guys, I have just joined the site and was wondering if anyone knows if Ford are going to do an aftermarket sports system.
I have asked Ford and to date here in the UK they have not been able to answer me.
I took delivery of my black/silver GT in June, just 3 days before the annual trip down to Le Mans, and I simply love the car. :biggrin However I would like a bit more noise! Apprently we in the UK have the same exhaust system as the U.S as we didn't have to go through such stringent noise and emissions rules as for e.g Germany.
HOWEVER,
IMHO the exhaust note is still a little tame even at full throttle. It does crack and pop on overrun when it is hot but it still lacks a real V8 howl.

I have a few friends with 360's and one wth a diablo, they all have Tubi systems on their cars and one or two have taken the cats out, the noise is pure F1.

I dont want to go as far as taking cats out but having owned a 360 with a Tubi system I feel that the GT lacks the evocative noise it so surely deserves.
:thumbsup
Any help greatly appreciated.

Yeah, Ford/Borla have the system you are looking for. Not as loud as a Tubi on a Ferrari but it's better than stock. Check out this thread:

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114&highlight=borla

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
sound like a ford!

BSSSSS !!

welcome to nthe real Ammeerriikkkaaa ! No sound, politically incorrect ! Even the Borla ( I put it on) gives you anything like the freakin italians, mate ! gUTT THE CATS, take the stainless headers, and maybe with the Borla the car will sound as it - indoubtedly- looks !

I've got the same problem... I already spoke to my friend Uli Hamann who is willing to build an european exhaust.... !

ciao from italy

stefan

V8 FGT

GT Owner
Oct 2, 2005
London
SLF360 said:
BSSSSS !!

welcome to nthe real Ammeerriikkkaaa ! No sound, politically incorrect ! Even the Borla ( I put it on) gives you anything like the freakin italians, mate ! gUTT THE CATS, take the stainless headers, and maybe with the Borla the car will sound as it - indoubtedly- looks !

I've got the same problem... I already spoke to my friend Uli Hamann who is willing to build an european exhaust.... !

ciao from italy

stefan

Hi Stefan, would be very interested to hear if Hamann would build a euro exhaust that may do the GT justice, can you keep me posted on it please.
From reading the threads it seems that the Borla system is just too much money for the difference it makes. Would be pretty upset to spend all that cash and still have a disappointing sound!!
I have spoken to Ford and they "seem" to be happy with supporting aftermarket systems that are not produced by Ford. i.e no problems with servicing and warranty. In my experience most of the systems are far far superior to the stocks anyway so they should have no problem with them.
Tubi seem to put their money where their mouth is, they give "lifetime of the car" guarantee with their systems.
Maybe i'll try and contact them to see if they will do one for the GT???
:banana

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
ditto!
I am interested in hearing more, PLEASE :biggrin

Cool Runnin'

GT Owner
Oct 6, 2005
Miami Beach
Has anyone added the Borla exhaust to their GT? If so, what do you think?

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
Cool Runnin' said:
Has anyone added the Borla exhaust to their GT? If so, what do you think?

Yes I would also like to hear from anyone who knows a little more about the sound of this Borla.....

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Borla

Yes I have it and a few others aswell already. Nothing like the tubi, but once you get going it sounds a bit more open, if you know what I mean. As I told you, Hamann said he can make a system custom for the GT, actually he liked the idea when we spoke about it. If you take the cats out (see some other posts I think from Dave (Barondw) or DBK, you have better airflow in the pipes, and having a supercharged engine there is no need for backpressure for cylinderfilling like in an athmspheric non loaded/charged/turboed engine.
I will seriously consider to change the headers aswell, I think Ford Racing has a set for the 'non street use', an American expression for hardcore gear that really makes a change of the situation for the better (except like for people like WhiteBlueGT (or was it Wonkawonka..) in California, getting policeharassment and dynotested on the way back from the track !) :lol :lol :lol

We'll work something out, buddy!

Last edited:

wonkawonka

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Lebanon
SLF360 said:
I think Ford Racing has a set for the 'non street use', an American expression for hardcore gear that really makes a change of the situation for the better (except like for people like WhiteBlueGT (or was it Wonkawonka..) in California, getting policeharassment and dynotested on the way back from the track !) :lol :lol :lol

Wasn't me... yet! :biggrin Pretty soon though I might end up in this predicament. Damn California!

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
wonkawonka said:
Wasn't me... yet! :biggrin Pretty soon though I might end up in this predicament. Damn California!

It was Bony who is scared of the law :lol
Stefan,
Any pictures of the exhaust tips on that Borla??

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Hi guys,

I am not scared of the law, just aware of the facts. All California cars have to go through smog checks every other year and they are done on a dyno with the results sent directly to our DMV. No way will a car without cats pass. Now the quick answer is replace the stock exhaust system on the car for the test. I gather it is an all day job to install the new system, does anyone have a time guesstimate?

The Borla system doesn't show a big horsepower increase. I am more interested to see what Whipple comes up with.

I will be attending SEMA and have my eyes wide open and gladly report back.

Cheers, daniel :biggrin

wonkawonka

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Lebanon
For those not in the know, there's a free pass for the first 4 years of ownership (i.e. you have to pass the smog test every couple of years after the first 4 years). So a 1-day job after four years shouldn't be that bad. :biggrin I'm not going to do it because I like my car just the way it is. I don't need more power or noise. I like the stealth.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Borla

one of 101 said:
It was Bony who is scared of the law :lol
Stefan,
Any pictures of the exhaust tips on that Borla??

will post some early next week... :thumbsup

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
wonka
Thanks, I stand corrected, and agree with you and share the same position.
I am interested in performance improvements. Waiting to see what develops, and have had poor luck being the mule car with various small tuning shops.
cheers,
daniel

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
bony said:
wonka
Thanks, I stand corrected, and agree with you and share the same position.
I am interested in performance improvements. Waiting to see what develops, and have had poor luck being the mule car with various small tuning shops.
cheers,
daniel

Daniel,
you're Makers Mark, and I'm Jim Beam Black & Booker's small batch bourbons...(and Antinori & Gallo & ...)... I guess we won't always agree, but at least we have same taste in small batch cars... ... :lol :lol :lol

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Wait a second, I am flexible, a little Antinori, or Bookers will work for me,... even some nice Gaja Barolo's go just fine... No problems, we are of one mind :biggrin :cheers :biggrin