AC fan control not working

Rstomp

GT Owner
Nov 30, 2019
Naples, FL
My 2020 GT, L071 is having a problem with the AC fan control. The fan works and air blows if the rotary control is at 1/2 or less. If it is turned up above 1/2, the fan shuts off. Anyone have a similar experience and have a solution?

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
This has been posted before. Make sure the nob has not slipped around the fan control shaft. Try taking the nob off and ensuring the shaft is at the off position and reposition. I am always very gentle when I turn the control. There is a thread somewhere on this subject.

Attachments

• IMG_1428.jpeg
    IMG_1428.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
Reactions: 2112

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
Sorry just noted it was a 2020…disregard.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
My 2020 GT, L071 is having a problem with the AC fan control. The fan works and air blows if the rotary control is at 1/2 or less. If it is turned up above 1/2, the fan shuts off. Anyone have a similar experience and have a solution?
I am assuming by 1/2 or less that the position is in a clockwise direction. Left of center works, right of center doesn't.

Is it absolute position or does it vary? (ie, is it an analog position or perhaps a digital position.)

The earlier mention of the knob and set screw would make sense if it were in the CCW direction but not for a CW rotation...

So, I wonder if the fan speed is on two different circuits where at lower speed a lower current winding is used and at that position in the rotation it switches to a different winding (and thus, perhaps different fuses/relays)... It'd be a place to start.

Warranty? Maybe you should get EverythingBreaks.com :)

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Italian Joe

Rstomp

GT Owner
Nov 30, 2019
Naples, FL
I am assuming by 1/2 or less that the position is in a clockwise direction. Left of center works, right of center doesn't.

Is it absolute position or does it vary? (ie, is it an analog position or perhaps a digital position.)

The earlier mention of the knob and set screw would make sense if it were in the CCW direction but not for a CW rotation...

So, I wonder if the fan speed is on two different circuits where at lower speed a lower current winding is used and at that position in the rotation it switches to a different winding (and thus, perhaps different fuses/relays)... It'd be a place to start.

Warranty? Maybe you should get EverythingBreaks.com :)
thanks for the comment. Fan operates and increased speed as the knob is rotated clockwise. The fan shuts off as soon as the knob gets to the half speed point, then it shuts off. I'll have to check for a high speed fuse. If this doesn't work, looks like I'll head into Galloway Ford and see if they can diagnose. Out of warranty

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mine turned out to be a simple calibration procedure. Trying to remember, and posted here earlier. put all rotary switches in mid position. Then turn on ignition while depressing recirculation button. Within thirty seconds rotate all rotary switches full range twice. Found it. Click link below.

Rstomp

GT Owner
Nov 30, 2019
Naples, FL
Thanks for the info. The re-calibration worked. Appreciate the help!

Reactions: twobjshelbys

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Wow. Cool

Rstomp

GT Owner
Nov 30, 2019
Naples, FL
Fan failed again. Re-calibration did not resolve. Took GT into Galloway Ford, told them I believe the problem is the fan relay. After diagnosis, they determine the problem is the fan relay, part # HG7Z14N089A. Part had to be ordered, no status on when it will arrive. Meanwhile, Service Manager at Galloway found a relay somewhere at the dealership and it resolved the problem. Heather at GT Concierge advises that ordered part is in transit, will be another 7-14 days. Not sure where it is coming from!

Rstomp

GT Owner
Nov 30, 2019
Naples, FL
Fan failed again. Re-calibration did not resolve. Took GT into Galloway Ford, told them I believe the problem is the fan relay. After diagnosis, they determine the problem is the fan relay, part # HG7Z14N089A. Part had to be ordered, no status on when it will arrive. Meanwhile, Service Manager at Galloway found a relay somewhere at the dealership and it resolved the problem. Heather at GT Concierge advises that ordered part is in transit, will be another 7-14 days. Not sure where it is coming from!

new part arrived . $195 MSRP.

Reactions: analogdesigner