A Scanner Darkly

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Anybody go see this movie? I waited for it for like a year and a half, and it finally came out in limited release.

It was pretty good, though I saw it from the most horrifically uncomfortable seats in the world. I'd recommend it if you're into that genre, or if you get high alot :lol The whole interpolated-rotoscoping thing lends itself really well to the drugged-out Philip K. Dick world. And I always like Robert Downey Jr. and Woody Harrelson, and if one role suits them best, it's drug addled nutcases.

I gotta give it to Keanu Reeves too. As much shit as the guy gets, he's been in some pretty good watchable flicks over the years. Fight on Bill, or Ted, or whoever you were.

cudacharlie

Dec 21, 2005
SoCal
Right on DBK... I've waited anxiously for this one, and I was pretty impressed. They actually communicated the central theme of Bob Arctor's brain splitting in two pretty well, and I LOVED the bugs-crawling-drug-trip intro sequence. Cool music, too.

The strangest thing... when I took off my glasses (I am nearsighted after about five feet), the movie looked completely normal! The trippy visuals just disappeared, and it looked like home video footage... weird.

And I just gotta love Robert Downey Jr. doing his less-than-zero number again....

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
cudacharlie said:
And I just gotta love Robert Downey Jr. doing his less-than-zero number again....

Less Than Zero is probably my favorite book of all time. Hard to imagine Bret Easton Ellis couldn't meet the promise that book had. I never saw the flick because I heard they turned it into a vehicle about how drugs and drug dealers are bad, which is not at all the theme of the novel...

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
cudacharlie said:
Cool music, too.

Bought the soundtrack. Pretty good, but it doesn't have the song that closes the trailer to the movie. Damn. And I have no idea what the hell it is.

Mad Max

Apr 7, 2006
SE Michigan
I liked Bright Lights, Big City better, as a book and as a movie. I could almost buy Micheal J.. Fox as the lead. I thought Kiefer Sutherland was dead on as the firend. "Don't you ever have a nearly overwhelming desire to just spend a quiet night at home?" "No..."