A Lap Around The Ring...

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
One Lap Around Nurburgring in a Vette

How the heck does anyone learn a track this long? His wasn't the best-ever time in this car, but not bad....................

http://www.sportauto-online.de/mult...orvette+Z06+-+Nordschleife&video_time_frame=0

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I attended a driver's school for three days at the "Ring" and it scared the s**t out of me. It's 14.2 miles around, 172 corners (84 right, 88 left) and has 1100 feet of elevation change! It is difficult to learn all the turns and they come at you very fast:eek

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
One Lap Around Nurburgring in a Vette

How the heck does anyone learn a track this long? His wasn't the best-ever time in this car, but not bad....................

http://www.sportauto-online.de/mult...orvette+Z06+-+Nordschleife&video_time_frame=0

Bony,

The short answer is "NO", unless your name is Hans Stuck.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
I attended a driver's school for three days at the "Ring" and it scared the s**t out of me. It's 14.2 miles around, 172 corners (84 right, 88 left) and has 1100 feet of elevation change! It is difficult to learn all the turns and they come at you very fast:eek

Same here!! Five amazing days of driving. I always wondered why the OEM's all test their high performance product on that particular track - not any longer!! :biggrin

The biggest surprise was that the 'track' is actually part of the German autobahn system. As such, unless it is rented out completely for professional track use, it is also doubles as a regular use highway - meaning you can (and do) encounter trucks et.al. when you are lapping 'at speed', along with the local 'hot shoes'. Survived the trip and am glad that my car has some big brakes on it!!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
DBTGT, try going around the track in a car rather than a mule or a steer.

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
DBTGT, try going around the track in a car rather than a mule or a steer.

It might have been a mule, but it was a Bavarian mule!:lol :lol

nthfinity

Apr 18, 2006
South East MI
Simulations help a lot for those of us who don't reside near the Green Hell...

GT4 is the best console preparation, and Simbin's GTR/ GTL etc. series is the best to prepare you for the vehicles dynamics.... if only Polyphony Digital would send their NS map to the guys at Simbin, then we'd have the perfect means of perparing for driving the NS.

Watching in-car video helps a lot too... videos like "In-Car 956" and even the recent Sport Auto lap of 8:04 in the Audi R8 with Hans von Saurma driving...
http://tinyurl.com/2h7wks

There are tons of on-board videos you can watch... and just like athletes preparing for a game, you watch the footage of the competition ;)

I haven't driven the Ring yet... but I think I'd do OK :)