2019 or 2020 FGT?

RaceDeck

*Supporting Vendor & GT Owner*
Supporting Vendor
Aug 11, 2005
SLC Utah
I am looking at two FGT's and not sure which route to go? The biggest difference besides color is one is a 2019 and the other 2020, both have the carbon package and the Akrapovič titanium exhaust.. Is there another difference in features that should sway me to the 2020?

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
A little more warranty left on '20

RaceDeck

Supporting Vendor
Aug 11, 2005
SLC Utah
A little more warranty left on '20
So the updated changes to the 2020+ cars with slight hP gain, improved cooling system, gallery-cooled pistons, higher energy ignition coils and stiffer track setting are not enough to pay a bit more for a 2020? and warranty over on both.

Reactions: Special K

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
So the updated changes to the 2020+ cars with slight hP gain, improved cooling system, gallery-cooled pistons, higher energy ignition coils and stiffer track setting are not enough to pay a bit more for a 2020? and warranty over on both.
What you’ve stated as far as model year upgrades. Mine is a ‘20, and I have driven both with no real noticeable difference. That said, I would lean towards the optioned car you like the most with price being a secondary consideration.

Reactions: ScottK and RaceDeck

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
The new car will have more update's (if there were any) between the years. There was a hydraulic system update that made servicing the system much easier. Something that can be checked by a Ford tech when he hooks up the car. (with the NFGT software?) Not sure every dealership has the NFGT software. Mine was checked by Brian and Sanderson in AZ.
The updates mentioned above would be more important for someone who was going to drive the car and see some track time.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I'd say go with the newer production (2020 over 2019) if all other things are relatively equal. Kind of like Porsche, always go with the newest version since the factory is often making subtle updates/improvements constantly on the production line.

MSRP's have gradually increased over time as well, but not certain specifically on 2019 versus 2020, although with the minor improvements, I imagine a MSRP increase as well if that matters to your analysis.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
If the 2020 has any warranty I’d go with that.
And if it does put mileage on it while it’s still under warranty.
I'd be a bit nervous buying a low mileage GT with no warranty.

Reactions: Stef

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Agree with Rocketman. Mine had issues, some were handled by local dealer other issue had to be addressed at factory.

Last edited:
Reactions: roketman

RaceDeck

Supporting Vendor
Aug 11, 2005
SLC Utah
Thanks for all input, all great info as I am on the hunt for the right FGT, Ideally it will be a 2020+ in the 1k to 3500mi range. I have passed on two so far for some of the reasons mentioned above.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Thanks for all input, all great info as I am on the hunt for the right FGT, Ideally it will be a 2020+ in the 1k to 3500mi range. I have passed on two so far for some of the reasons mentioned above.
It kills me that people want no or low mileage cars! My theory was to put as many miles as possible in the first 3 years while under warranty. It sure paid off, literally!!

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Any car nearing end of warranty should have a competent dealer mechanic like Joe at Milliken do an intensive overall inspection. Speaking from experience well worth the shipping expense.

RaceDeck

Supporting Vendor
Aug 11, 2005
SLC Utah
Any car nearing end of warranty should have a competent dealer mechanic like Joe at Milliken do an intensive overall inspection. Speaking from experience well worth the shipping expense.
That would be the plan. I have to check if the The Miller Group here in Utah is a authorized Ford GT service center. I know the Miller's (they own the largest Shelby collection in the world as well as a handful of 2017+ FGT's)

RaceDeck

Supporting Vendor
Aug 11, 2005
SLC Utah
That's the pla
This is the plan.. now to find the right FORD GT :)

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Purchasing A New Late Model Ford GT With No Miles on It and stored is going to have Guaranteed problems ahead! My 2017 H045 Early Built as completely gone over before it ran out of warranty and totally updated in every early problem area and now has 4,800 miles and rides and drives perfectly with no problems! I start it every week and let it run for 15 minutes and drive it every 30 days at least 50 miles working every drive mode and hydraulic position!

Durward1

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2011
South Dakota
Purchasing A New Late Model Ford GT With No Miles on It and stored is going to have Guaranteed problems ahead! My 2017 H045 Early Built as completely gone over before it ran out of warranty and totally updated in every early problem area and now has 4,800 miles and rides and drives perfectly with no problems! I start it every week and let it run for 15 minutes and drive it every 30 days at least 50 miles working every drive mode and hydraulic position!
Thanks THamonGT

I completely agree with this advice. Get the bugs sorted out before the warranty expires.

Reactions: THamonGT

RaceDeck

Supporting Vendor
Aug 11, 2005
SLC Utah
I also agree with most any car. I even do the same on my 05 FGT to this day and I have owned since new. Now I just have to find the right FGT, which there seems to be more and more coming up as of recent.

Reactions: THamonGT

RaceDeck

Supporting Vendor
Aug 11, 2005
SLC Utah
It totally kills me how people want no or low mileage cars! My theory was to put as many miles as possible in the first 3 years while under warranty. It sure paid off , literally!!
This is true.. On my 05 FGT I put the most miles within the warranty period, thankfully I have not had really any issues since day 1 ( other than air bag recalls)
Now I am very actively Looking For 2019+ Ford GT and ideally it will be a 2020 with some warranty left and driven a few miles... flying out next week to look at another. 🤞