2008 GT 500- No Boost!!!!

mccarter1369

Ford Enthusiast
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 18, 2006
Denver, CO
Question for you guys,
I've had my GT 500 for 6 months, only 16 miles until today; now just 21 miles, waiting for super snake conversion (just got deposit request for super snake). As it has hardly any miles, I haven't driven her hard at all. I noticed today that I get no response from the boost gauge. I picked her up from the dealer the day she came in and they barely got the prep done, I asked them to keep all of the plastic on etc...
Does anyone have insight? My first thought is that something inhibits the boost until prep or a specific number of miles has passed. I didn't look in the manual as it was getting late, will review it tomorrow. Any help in trouble shooting would be appreciated as my local dealer has no SVT experience and I would be nervous having them work on it.
Christian

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Christian, The Shelby 500's are set at the factory through the computer to turn on the supercharger after 12-20 miles. This is designed so that convoy drivers and mechanics can not damage the engine with no miles on it. The owner should enjoy every boosted mile. After a few more miles and you have no supercharger take it back to the dealer for a check, but it should come one at any time now. Tomy Hamon

Last edited:

garagelogic

Apr 15, 2008
That about sums it up. You're going to have to drive the car, my friend, not just put it in the garage to look at from time to time. Instructions on how to remove the boost limiter are in your owners manual.

Last edited:

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
Christian, what is your Super Snake number?

mccarter1369

Ford Enthusiast
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 18, 2006
Denver, CO
I believe it is 08SS0288. Doug sent me the info and Cynthia confirmed they received the depoist.
Christian

PS Thanks for all of the info.

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
I think my boost finally turned on at 50 miles...my friends had a field day giving me hell on the highway the first time when theirs had a couple hundred miles on them...that was the first and last time they passed me :)

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
it is my understanding that it kicks in after 50 miles. How many mile does your have? Also my own vehicle is not showing any boost. Took it to the dealer, hooked up his computer and went down the street and the computer registered 11#boost just tooting around. Either the guage is screwed or there is a leak somewhere in the guage line. Waiting for a call back to have them correct the problem.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
My 03 cobra had no boost indicated on the boost guage either. It was a lo tech solution. The vacuum line was not connected to the blower bypass valve. I thought the car was fast at delivery. It was like gettin a new car all over again.

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB
A friend of mine who is a Ford Master Tech e-mailed me after reading this thread and offered this tip
"if the gentleman disconects his Battery for 15 minutes the PCM will then comand boost."

Hope this helps

:cheers
Trent

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
Talked to dealer mechanic yesterday and he told me that the guage is not mechanical but is relayed through the computer. Therefore there will be a delay and it may not be 100% accurate. Also noticed that no matter how hard I punched it no boost in 1st gear. He said that is how it is.
He agreed that disconnecting the battery will help. There is a driver learning programme in the computer in the car. The car will try to learn how you drive. So it is a good idea after break in that you disconnect the battery for the 15 minutes, re connect and then drive her hard for a bit so the computer will learn the "new" drive style.

thrashdu2002

Feb 26, 2007
Fortuna,Ca
when i worked for Ford i can tell you that my general sales manager was bummed when he heard that the GT500 couldnt utilize its HP for the first 50 miles. they how it set by computer from the factory that way transport drivers and people at the dealership doing the initial inspection dont hot rod it. you will have all your hp after 50 miles. have fun.

GT500SuperSnake

May 4, 2008
Question for you guys,
I've had my GT 500 for 6 months, only 16 miles until today; now just 21 miles, waiting for super snake conversion (just got deposit request for super snake). As it has hardly any miles, I haven't driven her hard at all. I noticed today that I get no response from the boost gauge. I picked her up from the dealer the day she came in and they barely got the prep done, I asked them to keep all of the plastic on etc...
Does anyone have insight? My first thought is that something inhibits the boost until prep or a specific number of miles has passed. I didn't look in the manual as it was getting late, will review it tomorrow. Any help in trouble shooting would be appreciated as my local dealer has no SVT experience and I would be nervous having them work on it.
Christian

the computer reset is a mandatory part of the dealer prep.

code is J10 which is gt500 specific

disconnect neg batt cable for even a few minutes then after you hook it back up turn key to on position then off and its all set. If you disconnect cable and do not do 2nd portion it will set an error code and give high idle.

at this point if it still does not give boost it could be another problem.

I have found on dyno this makes a fair amt of difference if J10 is not done properly. If need be I can post the actual tech sheet.

GT500SuperSnake

May 4, 2008
when i worked for Ford i can tell you that my general sales manager was bummed when he heard that the GT500 couldnt utilize its HP for the first 50 miles. they how it set by computer from the factory that way transport drivers and people at the dealership doing the initial inspection dont hot rod it. you will have all your hp after 50 miles. have fun.

If dealer did proper prep on car it would have full power the first time it was driven. most dealers did not pay attention to the training received to properly prep one.

Its more of being over a certain speed for a certain period than how many miles the car is driven.

mccarter1369

Ford Enthusiast
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 18, 2006
Denver, CO
Came in at 26 miles...

Thanks for all of the great information, boost became available just after 26 miles! It was an awesome day.