2006 Battery Replacement

Planecrazy232

GT Owner
Nov 28, 2012
Cape Coral, FL
My car has a Odyssey 25-PC1400 that has 850CCA. I can't find a similar replacement. What are you guys doing for batteries these days?

Thanks,

Anthony

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
West Coast Batteries . Look up my response a few weeks back.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The original battery was an Optima group 25 and is readily available at any Auto Zone or O'Reilleys. Ford charges an extra 200 for the same battery with a Ford label on top. If you like the label you might be able to move the old one or buy one on ebay.

Reactions: Fast Freddy

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Bummer! I was hoping to read how your 2006 battery lasted 18 years.

Reactions: jammer

Planecrazy232

GT Owner
Nov 28, 2012
Cape Coral, FL
Bummer! I was hoping to read how your 2006 battery lasted 18 years.
Ha- close! I got ten years out of this one though...

Reactions: extrap

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
They have another group 25 now, but not quite the same CCA's

OptimaJim

Dec 15, 2009
I work for OPTIMA Batteries and we have been asked for years to reproduce a BLACKTOP battery to match what we provided as the OE battery. We are unable to reproduce the Ford label, but I think we are getting very close to approval for a limited run (probably less than 200 pieces) of Group 25 BLACKTOP batteries, for anyone who might be interested.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries

93extxdps

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 17, 2007
Texas
Jim
Contact me if and when these get produced
Thanks

Reactions: OptimaJim

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
I was able to remove the sticker and put it on my new optima, no one can tell that it is not the original as provided by Ford

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
There are many threads asking this same question over and over again. Do a search and you'll find your answer. Nothing new has been developed in years from what has already been discussed. Also, your old battery style is easy to find on Amazon.

OptimaJim

Dec 15, 2009
I was able to remove the sticker and put it on my new optima, no one can tell that it is not the original as provided by Ford
Where did you find a BLACKTOP, like the one provided by Ford?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
No one has a black top. These are replacement red tops. Remove the old sticker and place on new red top. Much cheaper than ordering from Ford. Ford only sells red tops now.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
No one can tell that mine (Interstate) isn't the original as provided by Ford, either because nobody but me sees the damn battery every 8-10 years! I'm surprised people care that much about the appearance of a label or colored-top of their FGT battery that is in such a hidden location. My vintage OEM musclecars, with the battery up front and out in the open, maybe, but these? Unless you have a 10-mile unmolested garage queen, don't sweat it- just get one with the right physical dimensions and output.

Reactions: 289 4spd and HNS

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I don’t think anyone really cares about the top being black. I do think they would like a battery that lasts 10 years like the original vs 2-3 like the current one.

Reactions: onepunch and PeteK

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
I don’t think anyone really cares about the top being black. I do think they would like a battery that lasts 10 years like the original vs 2-3 like the current one.

I must have misinterpreted several people's comments, on this thread and several others (swapping OEM labels over and such, Optima themselves stating they've been asked to remake the black tops), but I certainly agree with that last part. I am familiar with the current difference between the red top and the yellow top Optimas; what was unique about the black top?

FWIW, I installed a standard Interstate battery when I got my GT in 2012, keep it on a tender, and it's still in there. Granted, I plan on replacing it this year, since I saw my alternator light flicker a couple of times last year when at a stoplight with the headlights and a/c on.

Last edited:

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I'm sure Interstate has changed their battery design in the last dozen years. All the others brands have.

I would pay $500 for a battery of the original quality Optima, instead of $250 for the current cheapened version. And I don't give a damn whether it has a red top or a black top, or a purple top. Optima, are you listening?

BPorBF

Oct 3, 2023
Canton Ga
I work for OPTIMA Batteries and we have been asked for years to reproduce a BLACKTOP battery to match what we provided as the OE battery. We are unable to reproduce the Ford label, but I think we are getting very close to approval for a limited run (probably less than 200 pieces) of Group 25 BLACKTOP batteries, for anyone who might be interested.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries
Please contact me. I would be a buyer for a new battery.

Thanks

Reactions: Art138

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
They will never make one. The market for a spec version of a red top that isn't red is limited to a handful of people on this forum that would buy one if it were there, but that's not enough to meet minimum production requirements. A one off that isn't consistent with the brand won't sell enough. They'll sell 10 and 90 will sit in a warehouse. A Red Top has to have a Red Top. That's the brand.

Reactions: BPorBF