1154 Horsepower in my garage!!!

Rong

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2006
Well I have been cruising this forum for months, going back and forth as to whether to buy a GT. Initially the negatives (you owners all know them so need to regurgitate) were tipping the scale in the wrong direction, but when I finally found a blue car at MSRP, within 100 miles of where I live, it became more and more difficult to refuse. I drove the dealer (Cal Worthington Ford in Long Beach) absolutely nuts! One day I was buying the car, the next day it was I pass. Once, I literally mailed my check to the G.M. and then drove up the next day to retrieve it. The guy had the patience of a saint but he knew I was hooked.

This morning was the day. A salesperson drove down at 9:AM to pick me up in La Jolla to take me to Long Beach. It was a gray morning with what looked like a strong chance of rain. About half way there it started to rain. I was thinking that the gods were against this purchase and the rain was their message. It stopped raining as we got to Long Beach.

They had arranged for me to finally drive it before I took delivery so the G.M. and I went around the block and gassed it up. I have driven and owned too many exotics to list but the lowness and the visability (or lack of) issue made me a little nervous. I crept back to the dealership and they had a technician there to do a final check off. Everything worked except the winshield washer reservoir which was on empty. The tech filled it up with fluid but instead of using a funnel he just poured it directly from a bottle and naturally spilled a little on "my" new GT. By the time he was done doing his thing they sky had cleared and I was anxious to just get out of there. People and scary little kids were hovering everywhere. I suggested a 38 magnum might be the answer to the saleperson protecting it while I did the paperwork.

After the picture ceremony I was immediately off for my 100 mile jaunt back to La Jolla. Here are my first impressions:

1) Harsher ride than a Ferrari 430, Considerably more tire and road noise
2) Better drive train feel than the F car. Super smooth gearbox and clutch
3) More "thumbs ups" in the 100 mile stretch than any car I have ever driven
4) More time spent admiring it in my garage than any car I have owned

Absolutely no regrets...

It is parked next to my daily driver, a 2005 SL65 Graphite Designo. Boy am I blessed!!

Clear protection and exhaust upgrade are next.

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
Congratulations! Get used to the Attention it never stops.

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
If you think you get attention now, wait to you upgrade the exhaust :wink

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You know, you might want to check cold tire pressure. Because of bad weather, I didn't get to drive mine for almost a month. When I took it out, it seemed to have more tire noise and a harsher ride than I thought it should. Next day I checked cold tire pressure and they were low by about 4psi. Bumped them up and it made a noticeable difference.

Rong

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2006
Tire Pressure

Is 32 pounds ideal? They checked the tires during the delivery inspection but it was after I had driven the car. A couple of tires measured 36 lbs b so he reduced them to 32 lbs, even though they were warm. I bet you are correct, however doesn't more air pressure make a car's ride more harsh?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
In general yes, but on low profile tires that are underinflated, you get more harshness from the wheel hitting and some damage to the sidewall over time. Recommended pressure is on the B pillar at the bottom with build date, etc. If you don't have a tire gauge, better buy an electronic one and check them cold. Need an electric tire pump too.

FrankBarba

Permanent Vacation
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 16, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
Congrats....its about time you took the plunge. have fun, enjoy....

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Congratulations Rong! Try a water pistol or air horn before going straight to the .38 on the little bastards :lol

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Congratulations, most of the same feelings I had picking mine up on the 31st of March. Most amazing car on the road and everyone stops to see it or turn heads to take a longer look. I still am figuring out the clutch in 1st gear, seems to grab nearly at the end of letting it out. Other than that, I often wonder why I have other cars, and should I try to get one more???

There are a large number of cars appearing now in the So Cal area. I am sure we can get a great cruise out through Temecula, Idlyywild, Palm Springs or Anza Borrega Desert or evn up to Santa Barbara, Los Olivos wineries before th summer comes.

Rong

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2006
Good Idea

I have noticed the same clutch issue also but I think it is driver error...we will see. Got to get home so I can take a quick spin :banana

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
I had a little sensation that the clutch was not completely disengaged shifting from 1st to 2nd over the weekend. My clutch grabs late, I think most GTs do, and as such I tended not to place the clutch pedal to the floor, after I started placing the clutch to the floor from 1st to 2nd, problem has not returned.