Afternoon project

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB
Finally got time to change the ½ shaft bolts and can now check another thing off of the to do list. I have the Ford kit but went with the Accufabs I had purchased last fall. With only the removal of the air box and wheels to get full access it was a very straight forward swap.

Rich warned me the other day that the late build date cars had “extra” loctite and the bolts might be a bear to get out, he wasn’t kidding. Thankfully my original bolts were ok and were able to take the torque to back them out. There was so much loctite left in the shaft that when I installed the bolts the first time they hit the torque spec and I could still rattle the washer. I pulled them back out and chased the threads with an 8m 125 tap. You can see the pile I augured out in the pic below. After this cleaning everything went in smooth, seated properly, and torqued down to spec. The second pic is of the new hardware in it's new home.

upload1.jpg

upload2.jpg

Thanks to everyone on this forum that keep the tips flowing and a extra tip of the hat to Rich for taking the time to continually give back to the GT community. :thumbsup

:cheers
Trent

ps I didn't forget the rtv on the back of the washer:biggrin

Aug 25, 2006
Great job and thank you for sharing your project

All the best

Shadowman

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Best pics I've seen yet of this.

thegtguy

*Supporting Vendor* GT Owner
Apr 20, 2006
MI
Bolts

No problem Trent, anytime. Glad to see/hear the project went well. Looks like it went better than some of the others.

Rich

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
great photos

Thanks Trent. Great photos.

Ed