Right Hand Drive Ford GT!

stanglover

Feb 8, 2008
Check this out - the world's first Right Hand Drive Ford GT. In Australia, pretty much the only way you can register a LHD vehicle is if it is 25+ years old. So if you don't want to wait that long to drive something such as the GT on the road it has to be converted.

This black one is the first to be converted, and I believe Mustang Motorsport have already started work on several more. The car is a full 'mirror image' conversion and (as you would demand if it was your car!) finished beautifully. They have obviously manufactured (or re-manufactured) many of the parts, such as the centre tunnel and speedo gauge (see image 2).

I think this car is still going through the approval process but, by the look of how well things have been done, it shouldn't be a problem.

NEW! A video of this car on the race track is now online at http://www.c31.org.au. Choose 'Our Shows' and then 'G' for 'Gasolene'. Select the 'Video' tab and view the Feb 5, 2008 episode (Channel 31 is a community TV station).

gt_rhd_1.jpg

gt_rhd_2.jpg

gt_rhd_3.jpg

Last edited:

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Wow :eek , what a first post!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
We had a member, JASPAR who ordered a FGT to be sent down under. The car was in Montreal the last I heard. He was very sick and passed away. He had plans to have it converted.

They did a nice job, I know it costs a pretty penny.

RIP Jaspar

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
They did a really great conversion or that's a really great photo shop !! For the record the passenger side leg room is less than the drivers side. How far did they go in the conversion??

MK2_GT

GTX1 Owner
Mar 25, 2006
Holy $%^&

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
They did a really great conversion or that's a really great photo shop !! For the record the passenger side leg room is less than the drivers side. How far did they go in the conversion??

Check out the placement of the dead pedal. Pretty slick.

I see that they also converted the transmission tunnel, but left the A/C & Heat knobs alone.

I can't read the speedo, but it looks to get into double digits pretty fast.

Somebody wanted a GT....real bad. Pretty cool job.

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI

Check out the website, they promote the RHD.

http://www.mustangmotorsport.com.au/ford_gt/ford_gt.php

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I was told US$90k

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
I was told US$90k

That doesn't shock me. If the workmanship is anywhere near the quality that appears in the photos, I can't imagine how many hours of work that goes into one of these conversions.

Do they fabricate their own parts - new tunnel, dash, mechanicals that can't be reused, etc.?

Last edited:

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
The boys down under are quite the gearheads. A guy I know send me pics of his converted Shelby. Notice the side markers. If I remember right he said the conversion is $35,000

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 1,419
  • 2a.JPG
    2a.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 1,482

stanglover

Feb 8, 2008
Check out the placement of the dead pedal. Pretty slick.

I see that they also converted the transmission tunnel, but left the A/C & Heat knobs alone.

I can't read the speedo, but it looks to get into double digits pretty fast.

Somebody wanted a GT....real bad. Pretty cool job.

The speedo is custom-made as they have to read in km/h to meet Australian Design Rules.

Here is a shot of the next two cars currently being converted (red and tungsten). As you can see, basically the whole car is stripped down, and they manufacture and/or modify over 300 parts in the conversion process. Virtually every part is 'mirrored' as the GT has been designed and engineered much like a race car, with everything designed perfectly for its place and use. You would expect that the engine not being in the front would make life easier, but 'normal' road cars are obviously designed and engineered far more loosely, with more space available and less complex engineering.

gt_rhd_4.jpg

Last edited:

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Maybe it would be cheaper to move ... :biggrin

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
Maybe it would be cheaper to move ... :biggrin

:rofl

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
The speedo is custom-made as they have to read in km/h to meet Australian Design Rules.

Here is a shot of the next two cars currently being converted (red and tungsten). As you can see, basically the whole car is stripped down, and they manufacture and/or modify over 300 parts in the conversion process. Virtually every part is 'mirrored' as the GT has been designed and engineered much like a race car, with everything designed perfectly for its place and use. You would expect that the engine not being in the front would make life easier, but 'normal' road cars are obviously designed and engineered far more loosely, with more space available and less complex engineering.

gt_rhd_4.jpg

Most impressive. Approximately how many hours of work and what do they charge for such a conversion?

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
I email my friend in Au. about this company and part of his reply was ...

"The link you gave me is the company that converted my car, the same car in the pics that I have been sending you. Craig is the principle and his company has Just pulled of a fist in the world. They have just converted form left hand drive to right hand drive a Ford GT 40. They will charge $80,000.00 Australian for this conversion. This is $71,000.00 in your currency. They do a great job of the conversion and they are great people also"...

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I email my friend in Au. about this company and part of his reply was ...

"The link you gave me is the company that converted my car, the same car in the pics that I have been sending you. Craig is the principle and his company has Just pulled of a fist in the world. They have just converted form left hand drive to right hand drive a Ford GT 40. They will charge $80,000.00 Australian for this conversion. This is $71,000.00 in your currency. They do a great job of the conversion and they are great people also"...

71,000.00 is a small price to pay to get to drive the GT. i wonder how many there are is ausi

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
I caught a bug in the 100% flip. Look at the climate controls. Still USA spec. I hope that doesn't blow Aussie approval.

Beatuiful job by the way.

Is it true that the odometer runs backwards down under? If so I'll be down there with my gal next summer to run mine back a little.

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
Wow!

Wow! Superb workmanship. I once did a Mini. RHD to LHD...what a pain in the a**.:bang:bang

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Did they have to move the gas inlet to teh other side?

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
amazing and, slightly weird (in a good way).

I'd love a right hand drive one (being in the UK), but have become very used to LHD. It just looks darned weird!

Great job.