Any words of advise for a new owner?

NJF

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
With all the experience out there, does anybody have any words of advice for a new owner. Any words of caution?

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
go easy....break it in proper...don't over drive it...let the tires seat and wear in a bit...HAVE FUN with it...it's just a car...a SUPER car...but a car

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
NJF,
What LEMANSZ said plus, when the tail starts to to come around - don't let off the throttle! Just stick with it and steer yourself out of the slide unless you like doing loop-de-loops! :eek

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
A few tips....

Yeah,

These guys are giving you good advice.

Some of "Jay's Laws":

1. Never "thrash" (drive hard) on a cold engine. Always wait until the water temperature is >160 F (in other word, approaches equalibrium). The moving components within the engine expand at different rates and therefore their proper clearances aren't established until then. Your GT engine has forged pistons which must be up to operating temperature before the proper piston to cylinder wall clearance is established.

2. The tranny will shift with some difficulty until warm, especially into second gear. Be gentle on it, as with time (about 2,000 miles or so) it will begin to shift more smoothly. Shift from 1st to 3rd (bypassing 2nd) or double-clutch if needed.

3. Stop-and-go city driving is a better way to break in a GT (this is my opinion, based on the transmission issues). Shift through all of the gears whenever possible which also operates the engine at many different RPM's.

4. Resist the urge to get too wild and crazy, give it some time to generate a good feel for the car. You have a lot of power here. Most GT disasters occur during that "got to get in it quick and see what this baby can do" moment. This ain't no Yugo...

5. Be extra careful when backing up, due to very limited visibility. The front spoiler also needs consideration. The rear diffuser hangs fairly low, so be careful when going through nasty road bumps (I got nicked on day two...).

6. I make my auto detailer purchase cleaning supplies to be used on my car only (buffing wheels, polishing clothes. etc.). I wash them myself. I don't want someone else's dirty laundry being used on my car!

7. At the tire shop, I have my own personal replaceable plastic parts for their tire changing machine that are to be used only on my wheels. I paid for these parts and they swap them out temporarily for use on my car. Sure, it cost more, but I like to keep things clean.

8. Cold tires and cold and/or wet pavement can be a dangerous combo. Remember Roberto Guerrero in the beginning lap of the Indy 500, years ago? Your car has enough power to reproduce that maneuver!

Spend some time reviewing the numerous postings on this forum as we are fortunate to have an excellent owner's group!

Jay (949) 366-1211

Last edited:

Pipelion

Last night an auto insider dropped by, he designs specialty parts for the big 3 and even F1 stuff.

He said a Ford tech. eng. flew a Ford GT off an on ramp down in Detroit.
He didn't know what he was doing, but a simple thing like warming up the tires before warming up the corners might be of value.

Also put some miles on the thing before you start to exploit the envelope.

Confushus say, "better to lose race
and still have intact vehicle for later.

Wish I could drive one tommorow.

Allan :biggrin

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Can't add to this - very good advice. As always these days, it seems Lemanz beats me to the Forum with just the advice I would give, but probably worded more concisely. And Jay has nailed it with the detail. Number 3 was interesting on his post too..... the trouble in London is that our roads were designed with a pony and cart in mind, so commuting in a GT is a no no.

I love the fact that so many new GT owners are on the Forum too - we are 'The Knowledge!'

Enjoy - and do go easy for the first few miles!

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
Make sure you've got lots of room when you park, and watch your head.
Better to drive around an extra few minutes than spend the night unable to get back in.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Drive it any way you like and enjoy it. Remember its a car not a shrine.

Keep in mind Super B's suggestion about parking. Try to always park on the left end of a row so no one can block the drivers door.

Also the comment about backing-up, should not be ignored. You are blind to the rear, the nose, and passenger side curb.

Dave

Last edited:

ART T

GT Owner
Nov 21, 2005
Healdsburg, CA,
The Front Lip Spoiler

Sits real low.....watch how close you get the front end to the curb.

Its hard to gauge at first.

Art T :frown

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
Definitely keep that lower rear diffuser in mind. I've only barely scraped the front chin spoiler three times, and those were when traversing extremely sharp angles. Unlike a C6 Corvette, Gallardo or F430, the GT actaully has substantial front end clearance.

BUT, that rear diffuser is both low and easy to forget. The first time I ever "banged" my GT on anything it was the rear diffuser when backing into a parking space with a parking block. The sound made me think I had just destroyed the rear bumper, so when I got out and saw it was the plastic diffuser I felt much better. But I've whacked it at least two more times since then because it's easy to forget. At least it's plastic, and not really a cosmetic component of the car.

Pipelion

A thought about left side blind spots and curbs.

I've been told long ago that racing stipes were not only for looks but also to know where your outside right tires edges are. Just have a spotter line your cars right side wheels on a straight line in a parking lot. Get out and double check.
Then get back in the car and note the relationship of the line and the intersect point of the front racing stripe at the hoods' front edge. Pretend hot lava is pouring on your balls. Now even if no line is in front of you , you'll know where your wheels edges are from the spot on your hoods tip, where the stripe intersected the painted line. The lava thing sears it in your memory. Who could forget thier balls in hot lava? :ack

UKs reverse the above.

Happy motoring and now you won't scub those nice rims. :biggrin

Allan

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
The center line of the car tells you where a curb is. If you use the racing stripe you will have an extreme rash.

Dave

Pipelion

Dave,

Depending where one adjust's thier seat (for and aft) and how tall one is, changes the angle to the road. That's why the double stipes. With double stripes you have four edges to use, not including the middle of eack stripe and the areas between the stipes and hoods' edge.

I know only that the Bible is true, all others, I'm just taking thier word for it, so you may be right.

Cheers,

Allan

biffom

GT Owner
Oct 9, 2005
Venice, CA
I find for parallel parking angling the mirror down so that I can see the curb let's me get really close without any threat to the rims. Range Rover used to do this automatically when engagind reverse.

Pipelion

Cool!

K-P Garage

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Longwood, Florida
doors doors doors

Did someone mention the doors? Usually only take once to learn to duck. Otherwise excellent advice above! :thumbsup

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Pipelion said:
Dave,

Depending where one adjust's thier seat (for and aft) and how tall one is, changes the angle to the road. That's why the double stipes. With double stripes you have four edges to use, not including the middle of eack stripe and the areas between the stipes and hoods' edge.

I know only that the Bible is true, all others, I'm just taking thier word for it, so you may be right.

Cheers,

Allan

I think you got sold a story and the Bible is always true.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
biffom said:
I find for parallel parking angling the mirror down so that I can see the curb let's me get really close without any threat to the rims. Range Rover used to do this automatically when engagind reverse.
BMW does too, in fact the car let's you chose the mirrors behaviour with a simple small switch... But then again, everything in a modern BMW is electronic and automated..from lamps to steering to dynamic drive, impressive stuff... up to the new 7 gear SMG box for the M6....

John B

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2006
Here is a good bit of advice for the new GT owner:
Make sure you know how to open the gas cap before you drive away without the owners manual in the car. I pulled mine off a transporter and did just that. The car was on Empty so I went right to the gas station. It took me 20 minutes just to figure out how to open the gas cap!

(you get out, put the key in the passenger side front fender lock, turn it to the right, pull the silver lever, release the silver lever then "Pop" there it goes. - Piece of cake!)

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Tell your wife carefully that that Louis Vutton steamer trunk isn't going to fit :biggrin