Helm manuals, CD, DVD or Book?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Is the CDROM the same as the workshop manual but in electronic form? If so is it a PDF file? Can pages be printed? Is the wiring diagram and or powertrain control information in either of these products or must they be bought separately? What does the Complete Car Service Information DVD for $1,450.00 have that the others manuals lack?

BlackICE

2005 Ford GT Workshop Manual $145 Part #: FCS1379405

2005 GT Service Information CD-ROM $170 Part #: FCS1400705

2005 GT Wiring Diagram $60 Part #: FCS1379505

2005 Powertrain Control Emission Diagnosis Manual Gas
Price: $120.00 In Stock
(English, Paper, FCS1210605A)

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
I bought the manual on ebay for $95....it's a pretty good...the other books I felt were uncessary...the CD's don't know, myabe we can buy one and copy it...way too expensive for me...

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Lousy manuals, but necessary...

I have purchased almost every piece of factory documentation except for the CD that you mentioned.

Even though they are needed to work on the car, the shop manual and wiring diagram books are full of errors and omissions. The weakest area is the documentation of the McIntosh stereo system. It's worthless!

Last night I discovered a leaking plug on the transaxle, yet the manual doesn't even talk about what it's for. It maybe the fill port for adding fluid. Not sure...

The CD version may have an advantage since it could be updated by the factory more easily than a large book.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I am on the verge of making a deal on a GT with a Mac Stereo and would like to remove it also. My understanding is that the Mac head unit sends line level signals to the amp that is behind the subwoofer and that that amp feeds the sub and the four door speakers. So to replace the sub I would have to buy another head unit that can drive the door speakers directly. Are the door speakers bi-amped or are there crossovers in the door or speakers? I don't know how much space there is to mount crossovers or amps behind the dash or in the doors?

BlackICE

guywwagner

GT Owner
Sep 22, 2005
Nazareth,Pa
Helms manuals

I got the workshop and wiring diagram books from Helm.I tried the CD version for my Mustang Cobra a few years ago and still ended up with the workshop manual .The CD's are just to difficult to use for me,I print everything anyway.
Guy

Last edited:

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Passive crossovers, not bi-amped

BlackICE said:
I am on the verge of making a deal on a GT with a Mac Stereo and would like to remove it also. My understanding is that the Mac head unit sends line level signals to the amp that is behind the subwoofer and that that amp feeds the sub and the four door speakers. So to replace the sub I would have to buy another head unit that can drive the door speakers directly. Are the door speakers bi-amped or are there crossovers in the door or speakers? I don't know how much space there is to mount crossovers or amps behind the dash or in the doors?

BlackICE

BlackICE,

You are correct, the speakers are NOT bi-amped. They have passive x-over modules in the doors. So once the subwoofer/amp combo is removed, you end up with no sound. If I had more time, I would just design a small Class-D amplifier module that would install behind or under the driver's seat. This way you could use the original connector that went to the subwoofer amp.

Now, if you want to replace the radio head unit with one wish has an integrated amplifier, you would have to put a few jumpers into the car's wiring harness connector (the one that plugged into the sub) to complete the circuit. This would be much easier than my proposal above.

Also, the frequency response is not flat with the McIntosh system. It has an annoying peak around 120-150 Hz which make the upper bass a bit "tubby" sounding. Frankly, this system is over rated. When time permits, I am going to design a plug-in adapter to fix this problem.

Hope this helps, Jay (949) 366-1211

Mod Friendly

Feb 8, 2006
Plantation, Florida
The Ford CD rom goes into a bit more detail than the manual does. You probably will not be able to get your hands on one unless you have someone in a dealer. Eeach dealer gets two of em, one for the shopforeman and one for the dealer to have, but in our case mr. Joe (GT tech) has the cd on his laptop along with numerous other ford programs. The cd rom is just easier to read, its more in detail than the Manual that you get online or at the dealer. Plus it has some diagnostic tips and other little misc secrets to help in diagnosing problems. Ive skimmed through it and did not realize just how much more info was on there than in the manual.

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
I want to get all the manuels, where is the best place?

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Good info...

Mod Friendly said:
The Ford CD rom goes into a bit more detail than the manual does. You probably will not be able to get your hands on one unless you have someone in a dealer. Eeach dealer gets two of em, one for the shopforeman and one for the dealer to have, but in our case mr. Joe (GT tech) has the cd on his laptop along with numerous other ford programs. The cd rom is just easier to read, its more in detail than the Manual that you get online or at the dealer. Plus it has some diagnostic tips and other little misc secrets to help in diagnosing problems. Ive skimmed through it and did not realize just how much more info was on there than in the manual.

Mod,

Thanks for this info! I wish that Ford would revise their service manual and offer current owners upgrades. Jay

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
You can order the manuals online at:

http://www.helminc.com/helm/welcome_select_oem.asp?Style=&mscsid=NDVJ15NSPTCG9HWADVAJ02ASX72E60BC

From the discussions here I think I should order the CD version. My printed version of repair manuals always get destroyed over time. With the CD I can print pages as needed.

As for the stereo, I am leaning towards getting a new head unit with integrated amps and a lcd screen. I could then mount a camera for use when parking. The problem is, can a fold out lcd fit. I looks like the instrument panel slopes out as one moves up, so the screen would have to fold out a few inches to clear.

What is the visibility in the rear for looking for police. I was thinking another camera with a telephoto lens would make it easier to spot them. However to minimize the shake and blur it should be mounted near the middle of the front and rear wheels and that would mean on the roof!

BlackICE

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Nice!

BlackICE said:
You can order the manuals online at:

http://www.helminc.com/helm/welcome_select_oem.asp?Style=&mscsid=NDVJ15NSPTCG9HWADVAJ02ASX72E60BC

From the discussions here I think I should order the CD version. My printed version of repair manuals always get destroyed over time. With the CD I can print pages as needed.

As for the stereo, I am leaning towards getting a new head unit with integrated amps and a lcd screen. I could then mount a camera for use when parking. The problem is, can a fold out lcd fit. I looks like the instrument panel slopes out as one moves up, so the screen would have to fold out a few inches to clear.

What is the visibility in the rear for looking for police. I was thinking another camera with a telephoto lens would make it easier to spot them. However to minimize the shake and blur it should be mounted near the middle of the front and rear wheels and that would mean on the roof!

BlackICE

BlackICE,

Please keep us informed of an LCD screen version that may work with the GT. What you are discussing sounds like the hot setup!

Yesterday, I was looking at a hermetically sealed B&W camera. There may be a way of shock mounting it and having a motorized zoom lens. A Bluetooth wireless setup would be nice also, since I hate stringing wires all over place. Jay

Mod Friendly

Feb 8, 2006
Plantation, Florida
Bluetooth wouldve been a nice addition to the GT to make it easier while driving. As far as Ford releasing the cd/dvd for public use I doubt that they will do that. All sorts of software codes and dealer codes in order to install it are needed. But for the most part it would basically answer any question that you may have on the cars. From torque specs to valve clearance and all its in there. It even includes graphics that are printer friendly. But its a one time use deal, once its uploaded to a comp its no longer usable. But Im sure you can copy it somehow.