New wheels today, found a loose fastener!

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
I finally got my factory optional wheels (with new tires) mounted on my car today. By the time we got around to the last wheel (driver's side rear), we noticed that one of the Torx flat head fasteners had worked it way out. The remaining two were just slightly more that finger tight. I am going back to the tire store tomorrow to pull all of the wheels back off and retorque all of these fasteners (we ran out of time today). I am having the tires strobe balanced also. It's hard to tell if you can feel any difference with the lighter wheels since the new tires are so slippery. It's also strange to me that all five fasteners aren't used, since populating only three of the five holes results in a slight inbalance.

One additional note, after driving 2,000 miles with the stock wheels, I am unable to feel any difference with the lighter wheels/new tire setup. You cannot come to an objective conclusion when you make two or more changes at the same time! Sure, it "feels" faster, however the new tires are slippery, like bear poop, until they get worn it.

Jay

Loose%20fastener.jpg

Last edited:

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Welcome to a real problem area. Also check the hubs. Some cars were delivered with them loose. Maybe some will understand my jaudiced view of the alleged quality and self-serving promotional films.

Loose wheels and hubs are major saftey issues, much different than cosemetic problems (which are still real problems).

:cheers
Dave

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
As you all know, I've run into many loose nuts and bolts on my car. I now wonder if they have a left over parts pile at the factory...

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Loose stuff...

barondw said:
Welcome to a real problem area. Also check the hubs. Some cars were delivered with them loose. Maybe some will understand my jaudiced view of the alleged quality and self-serving promotional films.

Loose wheels and hubs are major saftey issues, much different than cosemetic problems (which are still real problems).

:cheers
Dave

Dave,

Gotch'ya. I will review my service manual tonight and make a checklist for tomorrow while the wheels are removed. Jay

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
Jay,send the checklist to me as welll. going out to my budddies on Thursday to have him checkover everything as well

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Dave - by hubs do you mean the chrome cosmetic 'spinners'? Thanks. Neil

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Neilda said:
Dave - by hubs do you mean the chrome cosmetic 'spinners'? Thanks. Neil

No the actual hub that everything attaches to. Be very careful if doing track events. Check them before taking car on the track.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
analogdesigner said:
Dave,

Gotch'ya. I will review my service manual tonight and make a checklist for tomorrow while the wheels are removed. Jay

Jay if memory serves me correctly the torque spec on the fasteners you found loose are only around 14 pounds which is really just finger tight. Just remember that the wheel holds every on.

Dave

FordGTGuy

Aug 1, 2005
Norfolk, VA
I know vibrations lossen bolts and fastener but damn guys does this car really have enough power to do this? how fast do you go in it?

Jay if memory serves me correctly the torque spec on the fasteners you found loose are only around 14 pounds which is really just finger tight. Just remember that the wheel holds every on.

Dave

Thats actually pretty strange for it to be a torque spec of 14 pounds anywhere on a car. Is this safe? I would put an extra couple pounds to keep it on their it may have been what made that fastener come out like that.

Last edited:

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Torque value of fastener

14 ft./lbs. seems about right for the size and type of fastener. I may remove them and put a drop of blue Locktite on the threads.

Also, while changing over to the new wheels, we had switched over to some decorative (chrome plated) lug nuts that were claimed to been purchased from Auto Zone. Since I never buy anything from them, I get a bit nervous assuming that this is more "made in China" crap. I was wondering if anyone has had any problems associated with aftermarket lug nuts. I may order the OEM set from Ford to be extra safe.

So now, it's off to Starbucks to study my service manual.

Thanks to Dave and others for your input.

Jay

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
LEMANSZ said:
Jay,send the checklist to me as welll. going out to my budddies on Thursday to have him checkover everything as well
Jay,
please send it to me aswell. I'd like to have all checked, before I ship it to final destination.. thanks<!

stefan

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
From the pic that originated this post, it doesn't look like ANY of the torx bolts are needed at all. I believe they aid in assembly but what holds the hub on is the lug nuts which sandwich the hub. So, you have 5 lugs, each with ~90 lb-ft of torque holding this hub. It doesn't seem to matter if you have zero-3 torx fasteners at 14 lb-ft.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
20 lb-ft, not 14!

Just for sake of accuracy, these should be torqued to 20 lb-ft, not 14 as was mentioned earlier in the post.

Yes you are correct that it just holds things in place while the wheel is removed, however, how many of you would want your car having loose fasteners?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I don't think the bolts are needed at all. The brake calipers will hold the rotor on the hub even if the wheel is removed. They don't serve any purpose but to "add weight" to the car. The only time these would be handy is if you are servicing the calipers and don't want the rotors to fall off by accident.

Of course the weight is very small, but I come from a weight weenie bicycle background and parts without purpose get taken off.

BlackICE

canibl

GT Owner
Nov 22, 2005
Sacramento, Cali
BlackIce,
how did you like the prologue of the Tour Of California? --I assume you were there.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I was not there today, but you can take a look at this link.

http://www.steephill.tv/grassyknoll/storyboard.php?event=1&filter=8673

I might try to catch the race Tue.

BlackICE

MR2Race

FGT The Velvet Hammer
Apr 6, 2006
Northville Mi.
Rotor Bolts

Correct the system will work without the small torx rotor bolts.
The factory installs them for two reasons.

First to keep the rotor from falling off at assembly.

Secondly (and more important)
To keep corrosion and bits of crud from falling in between the rotor and the hub during tire removal and service.

Yes you can run without them (just my opinion) but you must be concerned about material between the rotor and the hub drive flange.

We do not use the bolts on racecars. But you must be extreamly clean.
And check wheel torque every time before the car moves.

On a similar subject, Please check half shaft axle fastener torque. You should treat the GT like a race machine. Big torque and performance tires have been know to work these fasteners lose on all performance cars. Both the inner bolts. And the outer stub axle nuts.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Alex, it sounds like you're going to be very popular here with your technical knowledge of the GT. I'm not totally sure where my half shaft axle fasteners are - but I'll have someone check!

Just out of idle curiousity, there were some pictures posted recently of the inside of a GT panel - one of the technicians had signed and dated it. Are most cars signed somewhere or is that likely to be a one off? Doesn't make a jot of difference of course, just interested!

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Agree with MR2Race in regard to checking torque of wheels before moving the car. Thus it means re-checking before each session. Have done so for a number of years on all cars I track.

Also agree that high torque and race slicks can loosen things up, it actually happened and we caught it without any issues. But all these things need to be checked before, during, and after each track session.

Dave