Battery charging and maintenance notes

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
On the subject of trickle or maintenance charging car batteries:

The info below is my own opinion on the subject of battery charging and maintenance, which may contain errors.

I wish to share some info, which I have learned over the years. I have ruined numerous automobile batteries due to my own laziness. This occurs because I do not want to take the time to hook up a battery maintenance charger to my car after I pull into the garage. My typical situation is that I have probably worked a long day, drove an hour from work, I am wearing dress clothes and it's past midnight. I then pull the car into a dark, cold garage. So hooking up a battery charger is last thing I wish to do. On my NSX, I have to open the front hood, then it's a bit difficult to access the battery with charger clamps, the lighting is poor, I think you get it! On my GT, I roll down the driver's side window and plug the charger into power accessory outlet (in this case it's being used as a power inlet).

Leaving a lead-acid battery in a discharged state for an extended period will eventually result in permanent damage to the buildup of an electrically insulative layer on the lead plates with the cells. If this layer is not too thick, it will usually fall off during recharging and the plates will be conductive again. If the buildup is excessive, then it's best to replace the battery.

If you can get past the inconvenience of hooking up the charger, then proper selection of a battery charger should be a primary concern.

If you happen to be on the market to purchase a new charger for your car, you'll probably notice that there are many to choose from. This is a quick summary of the popular types of automotive battery chargers:

1. The high current "boost" chargers. Car dealers and mechanics use these to get the engine started ASAP. They usually let the car's own charging system to finish the job. In my case, my GT battery had about 90 minutes of charging time due to my long drive home, which probably took the battery to >90% charge level. They are hard on the battery, however their infrequent use on a given battery makes that of little concern.

2. The multi-purpose chargers. These units have switchable output current levels, i.e. 2, 10 and time-limited 50 amp "mini-boost". Some of these units (depending on age) have a "maintenance" setting. The problem with this maintenance setting is that some of them work reasonably well, while others simply provide too much current for long-term use. Another problem, even though this is transparent to users, is that these large chargers waste power. Some units will consume as much as 15-20 watts when supplying 1 to 2 watts to your battery. This charger is usually left plugged in 24 hours/day. this adds up to over 10 kWh of electricity per month.

3. "Dumb" trickle chargers. Motorcycle battery chargers can also fall into this category. These units can have output current levels from about 50 mA (0.05 amps) to 2 amps. Older units usually produce >0.5 amps and you must read the information on the case of the unit to figure out if it is capable of over-charging your battery. Long-term charging of your battery with much more than a few tenths of an amp >100 mA (0.1 amps) is simply too much. If this current level is much above that, you are eventually going to boil the water out of the battery. The problem with these chargers is figuring out what you really have.

4. "Smart" trickle/maintenance chargers. Now these are types you should be using. Although there are some different charging philosophies within this group, most perform well. Fortunately, the trickle charger provided with your GT falls into this category. These chargers provide controlled current levels based on the condition of your battery. Some fancier units charge the battery with a modest current level until the battery approaches about 14.4 volts, then it turns off until the battery drops to about 13.2 volts. The frequency of this charging pattern is typically from days to weeks and repeats forever. This cyclic type of charger may offer improved battery life, although I have not lived long enough to confirm this.

5. "High-tech" maintenance chargers. This will be the latest "hot-setup" for optimum battery maintenance. This charger provides a specially shaped current pulse to the battery in order to minimize and even reverse damage to the lead plates within the battery. There is scientific evidence that this really works. When a battery is left in a partially (or completely) discharged state, an insulative material builds up on the (normally conductive) lead plates. When the battery is left in a discharged state for an extended period, irreversible damage can occur. This is why proper maintenance of your battery is so important. I am not sure if this high-tech charging approach is available to the public at this time. It's further questionable whether car owners would have much to benefit from this new technology. It's probably best left for companies which have huge $$$ investments in equipment that relies on optimum battery performance and longevity. This could include golf carts, electric powered forklifts, etc.

Now, this is a plug: my new wireless inductive charger will fall into category #4. Its main purpose is to provide convenience for the car owner. You simply pull your car into the garage and the charging begins automatically. This unit should work as well as any other properly designed charger. It will be designed for good efficiency, as power conservation becomes increasingly important. For those interested, I will have some product images in a few weeks.

One other thing, about 15 years ago, I purchased a pair of "Battery Pal" units which have worked well, provided I hook them up to the battery...

Hope this helps, Jay

Last edited:

saber

GT Owner
Sep 25, 2005
NYC
analogdesigner,
thanks for the info. What other companies make a wireless car battery charger? I would like to read about the technology and can't seem to find any sources.

Thanks

Bill Briley

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2005
Valley Forge PA.
Damn, Just when I thought I knew it all...........
Thanks for the education Jay, Good Post. :thumbsup

I use the small Deltran Smart Chargers and I havent had to replace a battery in nine years. I use them on boats and motorcycles as well.

427 Mitch

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 13, 2006
Stamford, Ct
Please forgive me for this ignorant question, but I where is the battery on these cars?

Mitch

Bill Briley

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2005
Valley Forge PA.
Good Question.............
Reliese the front "Boot" trunk- - locate the small plastic turn buckles onthe trunk liner bucket -- release them (half turn) and pull out the liner.
And there it is ...in front of the steering rack.
That will be $75.00 please

427 Mitch

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 13, 2006
Stamford, Ct
Thanks, your check is in the mail. :biggrin
Mitch

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Inductive charging

saber said:
analogdesigner,
thanks for the info. What other companies make a wireless car battery charger? I would like to read about the technology and can't seem to find any sources.

Thanks

Hello saber,

I am not aware of anything out there, otherwise I would of purchased a few of them. Do you remember the GM Impact EV (electric car) a few years ago? It used inductive coupling for recharging it's huge battery pack. This charger had a "paddle" with a hand grip that the user plugged into a hinged cover slot in the front section of the car's hood. It required that the paddle (which has a large coil of wire, driven with a high-frequency signal) be in very close proximity (perhaps 1/2" gap, max.) to the "pickup coils" which are mounted inside the car. The problem with that system is inconvience. If you forget to plug it in at night, you may have to drive a different car to work in the morning.

Tesla Coils work by inductive coupling, sending magnetic energy through the air, which may be picked up by another coil of wire nearby. Tesla's work was an extreme case, since he did things on gigantic scale!

Glad you liked the info,

Jay

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Nice work

Bill Briley said:
Damn, Just when I thought I knew it all...........
Thanks for the education Jay, Good Post. :thumbsup

I use the small Deltran Smart Chargers and I havent had to replace a battery in nine years. I use them on boats and motorcycles as well.

Nice work Bill,

Replacing batteries on some rigs can be a lot of work, not to mention the cost of the battery. Jay

FrankBarba

Permanent Vacation
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 16, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
isn't there an easier way to charge the battery?
Now my interliner is out of the car, the car cover is off, hood not latched....what else can be done?

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
FrankBarba said:
isn't there an easier way to charge the battery?
Now my interliner is out of the car, the car cover is off, hood not latched....what else can be done?
Frank,
Have a beer, it always makes things easier.:cheers

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The Deltran battery chargers are, in my opinion, some of the best maintenance chargers made. Their 5-year warranty is just one indication of the confidence they have in their quality.

I too have used the Deltran chargers for years and that's why I chose them as the basis of the 3 different battery maintenance "kits" I offer for GT owners. 2006 GT owners - because they are lacking the front honeycomb grill, can select the kit that includes a custom powder-coated aluminum mounting bracket that is hidden from view but easily accessible for the owner to plug in to. I have a 2005 GT kit that is similar to the 2006 kit, but it does not include the aluminum mount, since there is no (easy) way to get behind the grill. The "port" end of the custom-made wire length can be simply wire-tied to the tow-hook hole in the grill. Finally, I have a "generic" kit that can be used for any car including the GT. It differs from the '05 & '06 kit in that there is no custom connectors or wire lengths for the GT, but instead it includes a cigarette lighter adapter, battery alligator clip connectors & the battery terminal connectors. The user can select the best/easiest method that fits their needs. All three kits are described in further detail here.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
No way! This is the same for all of the products I have for the GT - there is NEVER any drilling or other mods to the car. For the 2006, you remove Ford's favorite GT screw - a T-27 Torx-head M6 x 25mm, and you slip it through the bracket and put it back on. I actually ship the kit with a replacement 10mm Flange Hex M6 x 25mm because it is just easier (IMO) to use this screw since you can either snug it down with a normal socket/ratchet or a 10mm combination wrench. Whatever the buyer wants to do - the same stock screw can be re-used as desired.

css 290

GT Owner
Sep 6, 2006
Mobile, Alabama
other type battery

Has anyone changed the battery to the smallerm LONGGGG life military type (Odyssey) which retain a full charge for three years? Less weight, more power and durability....

Aug 25, 2006
White Petunia said:
Hey K, is drilling required for the 2006 bracket?

I can share frrom experience that Kendall does a class act bringing some cool items to market; furthermore he is a nice guy.

I received the Battery Tender setup from him yesterday?? and have looked at the pieces and all are very nice as such I intend on installing it in a couple days.

FYI; I too have an 06 so I ordered it with the little bracket that is secured to an OEM fastener.

Takes care

Shadowman

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
nota4re said:
No way! This is the same for all of the products I have for the GT - there is NEVER any drilling or other mods to the car. For the 2006, you remove Ford's favorite GT screw - a T-27 Torx-head M6 x 25mm, and you slip it through the bracket and put it back on. I actually ship the kit with a replacement 10mm Flange Hex M6 x 25mm because it is just easier (IMO) to use this screw since you can either snug it down with a normal socket/ratchet or a 10mm combination wrench. Whatever the buyer wants to do - the same stock screw can be re-used as desired.

Hi Kendal,

My '05 has the Speed Lingere Bra on it... as you know there is a mesh that covers the air inlet. This will prevent a normal plug in of your unit, if I am reading correctly. Right now I use a batter tender and have the leads hard wired to the batter with a coupler that I pull through the air outlets on the bonnet. Please advise. Thanks! :biggrin

God Bless America,
daniel

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
css 290 said:
Has anyone changed the battery to the smallerm LONGGGG life military type (Odyssey) which retain a full charge for three years? Less weight, more power and durability....

They are indeed great batteries. I have them in many of my cars. Shelf life is 24 months, depending on storage conditions. But in a modern car there are different components that have a constant drain on a battery. I would do some initial testing to find out how much your system is draining the battery before you leave it parked.

And I also agree that the Deltran chargers are the best on the market. They computerize them to condition a battery and charge it at different rates in order to maximize the life of the batter. Just be sure to get the proper model for your particular needs.