"Check Gauge" light

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
..it came on and the voltage meter went off. It seems to be intermitant. When I am at a standstill it will go off after a short time...5 seconds..and them come on again and the meter will go off once under way. Any solutions, comments?

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
LEMANSZ,
I had a similar intermittent warning light problem the first time I drove the car. The warning light and chime would come on and then go off for various things like "door ajar", "check guage" and "seat belt" even after I stopped to check that everything was good to go. After talking to gtjoey, he felt it was a low voltage situation from the car sitting for some time at the dealer. I hooked up a trickle charger and checked all the fuses and relays I could find and actually found one relay (located in the box found in the "luggage compartment" when you remove the package tray to access the battery) to be loose - I think. Anyway, after checking all connections and charging the battery the problem has dissappeared. I personally think it was the "loose relay" I found, but I can't rule out the battery voltage either. Hope this helps.

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
thanks...I had charged it all night and then drove for at least 2 hours this morning, so I can't believe that it is 'low voltage'. I will however check the fuses as you described..interestingf how FORD can't spell 'gauge' correctly!

biffom

GT Owner
Oct 9, 2005
Venice, CA
Are you low on fuel? - the light 'check gauges' came on for me when I was low on fuel this morning. Enzobtr saved my bacon with some good directions, out of the mountains, to the nearest fuel station – thanks Enzobtr!

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
no, plenty of fuel...maybe the battery low

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Gauge issues

I spoke with Lemansz about his voltmeter-check gauge light problem. I feel that the Smart Junction box (the one supplied by Lear) has a bad connection going into it (it monitors the system voltage) or the module is defective. The Smart Junction Box is located underneath the removal panel were the passenger's are normally located. I am looking into this right now. His battery is fine, otherwise the car would not start. This is a either a bad electrical connection or a faulty module. The smart junction box is turning the check gauge light ON, because it thinks that the system voltage is abnormally low.

In an earlier post, I had mentioned that sometimes my oil pressure gauge bounces around irregularly, especially last night while cruising down the freeway. I think that one of the two oil pressure senders is defective. I don't want some shadetree auto mechanic putting dozens of miles on my car while he tries to diagnose the problem. I may ask the dealer to replace both pressure senders.

The Check Gauge light will come ON if any of the gauges are reading abnormally, this includes low fuel level.

Make sure that you guys use your trickle charge if you do not start or drive your car at least every two weeks.

Jay

Last edited:

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Low Battery

Lemansz, our cars have a series of shedding relays, relays that protect main running components as well as computer brain features . IN ENGLISH YOUR BATTERY IS LOW. Like many of our cars they sat whether a month or a year bye now . I know yours is an 06 ,but since you just took delivery i can bet it was built in oct, nov, dec 05 thats 3 to 5 months. Charge the battery with a real charger direct to battery , i can bet once again its probably 50% charged. Thats why your gauges are fluxing , old school, start car facing a wall, turn on the head lights see if they flicker like an old regulater on a 2 million dollar 1970 cuda, hit the gas if the lights get strong or steady its a home run!!!! :banana Your trickle charger is good but its only charging at 2amps per hour, still use it though when the car is finally charged , when not in use FOR ONE WEEK!!!! To much computer crap just draining away. Anyway enjoy, hope that is it , call me if it works gtjoey not on svt payroll for 24 hour tech service AANNDD LOVING IT! :thumbsup

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
Joey, you may be on to something. I put a battery babysiter on her and it took over two hours to get to 80% I read somewhere that these Optima battries are supposed to charge fully in one hour...we'll see, I'll; call you tomorow and see if that did it..thanks...DB

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Think about his problem

gtjoey said:
Lemansz, our cars have a series of shedding relays, relays that protect main running components as well as computer brain features . IN ENGLISH YOUR BATTERY IS LOW. Like many of our cars they sat whether a month or a year bye now . I know yours is an 06 ,but since you just took delivery i can bet it was built in oct, nov, dec 05 thats 3 to 5 months. Charge the battery with a real charger direct to battery , i can bet once again its probably 50% charged. Thats why your gauges are fluxing , old school, start car facing a wall, turn on the head lights see if they flicker like an old regulater on a 2 million dollar 1970 cuda, hit the gas if the lights get strong or steady its a home run!!!! :banana Your trickle charger is good but its only charging at 2amps per hour, still use it though when the car is finally charged , when not in use FOR ONE WEEK!!!! To much computer crap just draining away. Anyway enjoy, hope that is it , call me if it works gtjoey not on svt payroll for 24 hour tech service AANNDD LOVING IT! :thumbsup

GTjoey,

If you read his original post, he is experiencing an intermittent problem. The battery could not be low, as there is no evidence of this. Think about it, the car starts fine. Cranking over a cold engine requires up to several hundreds of amps! A weak battery simply couldn't do this. Once the engine is running, the alternator will provide up to 60 amps, most of that is more than adequate to run everything in the car along with charging a low battery. The system (battery) voltage will be roughly 13.5 to 14.5 volts when the engine is running (depending on day vs. night and engine RPM). The voltage regulator's job is to ensure this. If the system voltage in the car dropped towards zero, even momentarily, the car engine would simply quit running! The battery voltage gauge monitors the system voltage via a computerized "Smart Box". The voltage gauge does not monitor the system voltage directly as older cars did. This is why I feel that there is a faulty connection or module. A faulty relay is not too likely in this car since I have spent several hours studying the wiring diagram. There are many relays, however, they usually are not used to control or switch low level signals such as those needed for any one of the gauges. Now, if a relay which powers the entire Smart Junction Box was failing or intermittent, the warning lights on the dash would probably flash like a pinball machine. The Ford manuals do not provide a theory of operation either, making precise troubleshooting very difficult. Due to the complexity of modern day automobiles, auto mechanics simply swap out modules rather than trying to pin point the exact problem. It's much faster and cheaper this way.

Am I missing something here? I do not wish to sound like a know-it-all, however I make my living designing all types of electronics. So, any comments would be appreciated. I hope that Lemansz can inform us of exactly was caused this problem.

Jay

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
Jay...

the simplest thing to do is charge the battery overnight and see what happens tomorrow...I'm at a lost for words...

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Your analysis is correct!

dbtgt said:
LEMANSZ,
I had a similar intermittent warning light problem the first time I drove the car. The warning light and chime would come on and then go off for various things like "door ajar", "check guage" and "seat belt" even after I stopped to check that everything was good to go. After talking to gtjoey, he felt it was a low voltage situation from the car sitting for some time at the dealer. I hooked up a trickle charger and checked all the fuses and relays I could find and actually found one relay (located in the box found in the "luggage compartment" when you remove the package tray to access the battery) to be loose - I think. Anyway, after checking all connections and charging the battery the problem has dissappeared. I personally think it was the "loose relay" I found, but I can't rule out the battery voltage either. Hope this helps.

I guess I should of read dbtgt's post more carefully. Now his conclusion is quite logical. His description of the problem suggests an intermittent connection. I had mentioned in my earlier posting about the lights flashing like a pinball machine, and this is what I was referring to. By noticing the loose relay was good troubleshooting. The battery voltage level makes no sense to me, however, for Lemansz sake, lets hope that I am wrong!

I also did a short writeup on battery maintenance:
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=722

Jay

Last edited:

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Interesting... I have a Roushe fitted trickle/maintenance charger and haven't had any problems.

However on my brand new Range Rover Supercharged, it's been 'pinging' me with fault messages (gearbox, transmission etc) - the dealer told me it was a low battery (despite driving it 120 miles a day and despite it starting fine). After a month of ownership and heavy driving, it's now fine - suggesting there may be something to this low battery issue.

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
not the battery...

...charged it all night...up to specs....it must be as ending unit or loose wire..eeeehhhhhhhhh!!!

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
If im reading you right,the battery is now fully charged? okay now go through battery replacement procedures to clear all out.I use my obdii to clear out all codes. i think its page 52 or 56 in the manual, im at work and my car is under snow at home. Could be a relay just trying the obvious first. Look at the date on the battery knowing ford they bought all 4000 last year and they have been sitting on the shelf. Remember on fords when you pull the battery it even wrecks the readings for emission testing, unless you follow driving 50 miles on off, stop ,go it wont clear, others turn the key on/off , get this 50 times to clear codes. ANALOGE I LOVE YA,I KNOW WE ARE ALL GOING TO NEED YOU IN 10 YEARS WHEN THE MICE GET TO THOSE WIRES IN 10 YEARS :biggrin good luck lemansz either way hope it works out. :thumbsup gtjoey 1314

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
WHAT? YES, the battery is fully charged, whetever it sat on the shelf is no matter. Went to the Optima website and according to them the battery can sit forsix months, no matter it's freaking CHARGED!!! Don't understand your procudure, but going to the booklet now..stand by...

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
build date FYI was 12/05...could not find what you referfenced on pages 52-56...nada...I'm at a loss..guess Mr. Ford dealer will be getting a visiit soon unless 'analog' comes thru with the answer...I tend to think he may be right that it's a faulty sending unit...

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
It well might be i just dont think through email your getting the code /concept thing,give me a buzz , you have the number. But for all else who are on the edge if their seat . 1/ battery was low, you stated as fact
2/ computer read low readings WHILE DRIVING/fact battery was low
3/now battery is fully charged / fact your charger says
4/ clean out fault readings from low battery/ fact follow procedures that is stored in computer.
5/ change relay or wire or trace ground if others dont work.
6/ most important if all else fails , due like the british car makers, turn the radio louder and put a piece of tape over the red lite :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin I LOVE YOU . GTJOEY 1314

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
oh, I think, I'll do number 6...are you kiding? I just bought a 170k and you want to put a band-aid on it? Pleeeezeee. The re seting of the code thing, I don't get...sorry I don't have your number at work, get it to me and I'll call..DB

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
I just posted you my number private ,call im at lunch, i also called my ford guy, will explain in simple terms when you call, youve got to drive it to loose the codes and or obdii, now sit back turn up the radio and cruise baby, man for the left coast your more jumpy that a new york pretzel dealer :biggrin :thumbsup ciao gtjoey

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Now , after our great talk , please remember ,once the code is cleared you have a 50/50 shot of it still popping up just till you drive all condition driving,stop and go, parkway ect, it must read all conditions,the longest has been 2 to 3 days , just have patients.p.s. if all is well remember this all started from a low drawn battery . enjoy please post back the results gtjoey calmer that the duke in iwagima baby :thumbsup