Short throw shifter-backorder

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
I was just informed that my short throw shifter kit is on backorder until March 4th. Guess that I'll have to leave the car partially disassembled for another month...

Jay

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
not good...what does that thing do anyway

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
This is a product offered by Ford Performance that reduces the shifter's physical throw distance by 25%. I feel that the car should had been factory equipped with this. Just my opinion.

Also, how does the throw distance of the GT shifter compare to other exotics?

Jay

Last edited:

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
My understanding is that they are "updating" the short shifter.

Dave

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Does the short shifter fix the 1-2 problem

Just thnking about the 1-2 shifting problems that many of us have. Has anyone actually installed the short shifter? Did it fix the shifting problems?

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I think that the short shift kit will only exacerbate the problem as it will serve to accelerate the engagement of second gear which already struggles when cold.JMHO.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
dbtgt said:
I think that the short shift kit will only exacerbate the problem as it will serve to accelerate the engagement of second gear which already struggles when cold.JMHO.

I wouldn't think it is the answer either, but since it is an issue that really hasn't been solved (except for the thick fluid idea), it would answer it if it was a shifter / linkage issue unless the only thing that is different is the actual handle.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
barondw said:
My understanding is that they are "updating" the short shifter.

Dave
Dave,

news. please... mine is coming.. do I get the last of the previous ones, then ? :thumbsdow

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
My dealer called ford about my 1-2 issue and tried to order me a new tranny, which Ford didn't want to do (me either). They said Ford indicated that if the owner is Granny shifting, this could happen. I'm not racing, but I don't think I'm Granny shifting either.
Anyway, they made an adjustment, but I have not driven her cold yet, so I don't know the status. My dealer is waiting for my answer on wheather it's fix or not before they have some Ford engineer take a look at her. I don't know if that means someone is flying in, or will just get a real engineer on the phone or what.
I'll keep ya posted.

BTW, my dealer took care of all of my issues, no problems. Now if we can just get abolfaz up and running before he gives up and buy Lambo....

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
SLF360 said:
Dave,

news. please... mine is coming.. do I get the last of the previous ones, then ? :thumbsdow

Stefan

Not sure everything is backordered. Not everything is clear right now. My comment was what I had been told.

Dave

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Update!

The short throw shifter for the GT is still not available yet! I am told this by a (hopefully) reliable Ford source.

However, now that I have 2,000 miles on my car, the 2nd gear problem has just about completely healed itself. When cold it now has a very, very slight grind when going into second gear for the first mile or so. On my car, the rate at which I do the 1-2 shift has NO impact on anything. I am just very careful not to overstress anything, since this would put unnecessary wear on the shifter cables. So, after 2,000 miles, I am much happier with the gearbox. Early on, some of you guys recommended on "just let it break in" and that was the right suggestion. When I read the service manual, any adjustments would only put the shifter in a physically different neutral position. The best way to break in this trans is city driving, lots of 1-2-3, 3-2 shifting, etc. I can now do a 3-2 shift at 70+ with very little effort! When the trans oil is warm, everything is smooth as an NSX!

Dave, what do you mean by "updating" the shorter shifter? Do you mean that Ford is updating the design of the aftermarket version or modifying the original unit that comes standard with the car?

When you change the ratio of the shifter, as in the case of the short throw one, of course it takes more force to move the shifter, however the distance is less. The total energy exerted per each shift is still the same. Meaning, there's no free lunch!

Last edited:

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
1-800-mustang tells me that the new date is 15 feb...

We'll see :bored

barondw said:
Stefan

Not sure everything is backordered. Not everything is clear right now. My comment was what I had been told.

Dave

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
!

I hope that your right! I have a few days off next week...