New Trailer + Tips

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Hey guy's I picked up my Tommy's Trailer and I'm real happy with the way it came out. I had them make some mods to the topper. Mine is lower and wider than there stock offering. I have 60" of clear height. The deck is 80" wide and I have 89" at the side frames , plenty of room at the mirrors. I put some "Corrosive Chemical " signs on all 4 sides to keep people from being to curious. I was going to put " Nuclear Waste" but didn't want to have any issues with Johnny Law..:lol I got mine with all Drivers door cut out. Front wheel access openings , LED Lights , a winch w/remote, battery, spare tire mounted, 6ft alum ramps and they thru in wheel stops and straps. For around $10k
The base trailer is all Alum. the floor is all tongue in groove and very nicely built. I pulled the trailer back with my Tahoe . Empty it weights about 1600- 1700# I didn't even know it was there. A couple of nice things about this configuration if you need to haul some thing taller you can unbolt the frame and lift it off. I also found that you can release the top straps in the area of the wheels which makes it easy to fish the straps thru the wheels.

They gave me the wheel straps. I went to Pep boys and bought some of those seat belt pads that wrap around your shoulder belt. They work perfect around the wheel straps to protect the wheels. Because they fit so tight with no excess material it made it easy to fish the straps thru the wheels.

I also made a laser guide to perfectly center the car as you load it but I forgot to take some photos... This was my first test loading. I just had to cut a 2 x 8 about a foot long. Other than that she loaded right up with not fuss.
I need to get make brake controller in so I can do a test drive with the car loaded.

Attachments

• Trailer picc 001.jpg
    Trailer picc 001.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 411
  • Trailer picc 002.jpg
    Trailer picc 002.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 410
  • Trailer picc 003.jpg
    Trailer picc 003.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 410
  • Trailer picc 004.jpg
    Trailer picc 004.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 411
  • Trailer picc 005.jpg
    Trailer picc 005.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 406

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Strap pictures

Here are some more trailer photos and the strap pads.

Attachments

• Trailer picc 007.jpg
    Trailer picc 007.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 356
  • Trailer picc 008.jpg
    Trailer picc 008.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 359
  • Trailer picc 009.jpg
    Trailer picc 009.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 357
  • Trailer picc 010.jpg
    Trailer picc 010.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 355

kjslider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 1, 2006
socal
That's a pretty cool trailer. Congrats. I have had a "few" trailers but never a canvas sided one but can see some advantages.

sandman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 10, 2006
Gardnerville, Nv.
The placards are good to keep people away but may attract unwanted leo/dot attention. Make sure you know the requirements regarding your placards.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
trailer

Very nice. Thanks. I understand the protection for the wheels, but is there a particular brand/type of wheel strap/bonnet and tightening ratchet that you purchased for each of the 4 tires/wheels to strap to the d-rings?
ajb

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Very nice. Thanks. I understand the protection for the wheels, but is there a particular brand/type of wheel strap/bonnet and tightening ratchet that you purchased for each of the 4 tires/wheels to strap to the d-rings?
ajb

The Trailer mfg. gave me the winch straps and wheel straps with the trailer. I think they're Stiles brand out of Dallas TX. ? I keep the trailer at my shop so I can't go out to look. There are others you put the straps thru the wheels. I just found these pads to make it easier..

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
very slick... cool rig

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
No basket straps for the wheels? Remember, don't use the parking brake or leave it in gear. Can you get e-track on the floor? Looks really neat. Want some stickers that say "Anatomic Waste?"

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Beautiful trailer. I like the Bell shoulder pads idea, I am going to pick some of those up for use with my tie downs on transport of miscellaneous items.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I bought the same trailer. Tom's is good people!:thumbsup I noticed the wood in front of the ramp. Did you get the 6' of 7' ramps? My car is lowered an inch in front so the 6's wouldn't work.
Also due to lowering I had to get slightly lower profile tires becuase the door hit by an 1/8th":bang , so I also got cool custom rims (wife says I'm a freek).

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I bought the same trailer. Tom's is good people!:thumbsup I noticed the wood in front of the ramp. Did you get the 6' of 7' ramps? My car is lowered an inch in front so the 6's wouldn't work.
Also due to lowering I had to get slightly lower profile tires becuase the door hit by an 1/8th":bang , so I also got cool custom rims (wife says I'm a freek).

Steve,
I got ther 6ft ramps. I think the standard size is 5ft. Not sure if they make a 7ft but the blocks did the trick!!

Last edited:

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
No basket straps for the wheels? Remember, don't use the parking brake or leave it in gear. Can you get e-track on the floor? Looks really neat. Want some stickers that say "Anatomic Waste?"

No basket straps, Others have used the wheel straps with success. I think FL Chris uses towels around his wheel straps. The shoulder belt pads do the same trick just less excess material to deal with. I'm gearing up fro my trip to the QC's. I'm going to be there over the Memorial weekend and a few days after. Are you going to Indy ?? If not it would be great to see you! I'll send you a PM..

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Steve,
I got ther 6ft ramps. I the standard size is 5ft. Not sure if they make a 7ft but the blocks did the trick!!

They do make 7's. Mine came with the 6's. They did the swap at no-charge.:thumbsup Like I said, very good people!

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
...I think FL Chris uses towels around his wheel straps...

Yes I do Brian. I have trailered all three of my GTs (both kinds of wheels) a total of more than six thousand miles and have had no problems. Gary Almond does the same.

Agree, no ebrake, out of gear.

Nice rig. I look forward to seeing it in California.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Yes I do Brian. I have trailered all three of my GTs (both kinds of wheels) a total of more than six thousand miles and have had no problems. Gary Almond does the same.

Agree, no ebrake, out of gear.

Nice rig. I look forward to seeing it in California.

I hope you made it out west or north west OK. We'll be waitng for that fresh batch of apples in the Fall !!!:biggrin

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
... due to lowering I had to get slightly lower profile tires becuase the door hit by an 1/8th":bang , so I also got cool custom rims.

Uuuuuuuuuuuuh, Steve? A couple sheets of 1/2 plywood (or whatever)fastened to the floor woulda solved the door clearance pblm ... and they'd have cost what relative to new wheels & tires?????:shrug :shrug :shrug

Practical Pockets :cheers

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Uuuuuuuuuuuuh, Steve? A couple sheets of 1/2 plywood (or whatever)fastened to the floor woulda solved the door clearance pblm ... and they'd have cost what relative to new wheels & tires?????:shrug :shrug :shrug

Practical Pockets :cheers

Hmmmmm...... Did you not read the part about new custom rims, tires and my being a freak? :biggrin

Trailer is all alum. and very cool but the steel painted wheels had to go. :thumbsdow I even had a custom diamond plate tool box and hwy shield made for the front.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Hmmmmm...... Did you not read the part about new custom rims, tires and my being a freak? :biggrin

Trailer is all alum. and very cool but the steel painted wheels had to go. :thumbsdow I even had a custom diamond plate tool box and hwy shield made for the front.

I think one of us is taking the other too serious!!!!!!:rofl :rofl :rofl

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I think one of us is taking the other too serious!!!!!!:rofl :rofl :rofl

Chains and knives in the parking lot at the rally? :lol

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter