Trouble closing the rear shell

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
I am having some difficulty closing the rear shell / engine cover. Right now I need to be centered from the back of the car, grab the vents, and slam from about two feet up (which, or course, makes me cringe).

I see others have mentioned adjustments that have fixed the issue, and I will give that a try.

My question is how easy does it / should it close for some of you. Can you close the lid and simply push down over the latches to lock it down, or do you need to come from some height like I do. Suggestions before I start messing with the adjustments?

I don't like the way I need to do it - I have had other cars with latches where they were simple and smooth to close. Simple, easy push.

As a side, is the manual for the car you guys are getting the one from Helm? Or is there a better one.

Thanks

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
azgt,on 1314 you just stand on the drivers side and bring down gently, closes smooth as butter. The key here is what vin # early ones had a different rubber and clips, around 900 and beyond these close so smooth , you can adjust from the striker or the latch.MAKE SURE THE 2 LITTLE PISTONS ARENT DIRTY ON THE SHAFT, HOLDING UP THE CLAM SHELL, LIKE ALL CARS IT FEELS HORRIBLE WHEN DIRTY , SO CLEAN WITH WD40 ON A RAG FOR SMOOTHER ACTION. Hope this helps :thumbsup gtjoey 1314 with the hood THAT CLOSES LIKE buttaaaa oyveh p.s. send me a private on your stats when you get time thanks :thumbsup

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
I have a later car 1665 I think is the number and it doesn't close easy either.
You close to within about a foot then right in the center you push down hard and usually it closes alright.

AMER SPD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 18, 2005
Northern California
adjustment

You should be able to adjust the latches to have the clamshell close as Gtjoey say's "like butter". If one side if one side closes better than the other, a 1/16 adjustment on one side, could make the difference between closing from a foot, to resting on the latches and pressing down. If you have the adjustments done, you'll be very suprised how nicely it closes.

You should have some adjustment without removing the pilot rivots. I believe the manual instructs to remove the rivots to get more adjustment if needed. PLEASE CHECK THE SERVICE MANUAL. I was fortunate with mine. I adjusted mine without removing the rivots and now the clamshell can rest on the latches and I just press down and it clicks closed.

Hope this helps.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Adjustment worked

Thanks guys - I just wasn't sure how easy it "should be" to close.

I just lowered the drivers side rubber topped stop one turn, and moved the passenger side latch just a smidge (did not need to mess with the rivet), and now I can easily push both sides closed - Joey's "buttah". No more slamming - thank God.

White with blue, 931.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Great to hear!, as time goes bye and we all become more comfortable with this car , it really is not a complicated car, just intimidating right now. Great to hear, i love this forum. ENJOY ,GTJOEY 1314 AND LOVING IT LIKE BUTTA BABY..... :thumbsup

rsilverman

GT Owner
Mar 25, 2006
new jersey
Lowered my rubber stop to the bottom, but still having problem closing driver side of clam shell. Any other options?
Rob

GFORCE

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2006
Ive backed off stops alot

Mine wont shut any easyer,I get it a foot above and push steady but firm
it seems way to hard to do! Nothing like buttaa.Is there a diff ajust.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
White Petunia said:
............I don't see how to turn the rubber spring stop "one turn". There's a small nut underneath and a big nut on top, but I don't see much vertical adjustment . Am I looking at the wrong thing?

My passenger side closes easier than the driver side. I let my hand give constant pressure to the driver's side when I close the clamshell.

On the actual latch mechanish you will see the round (3/4") rubber bumper that sits on top of a bolt where right under the bumper is a 3/4" or so "nut". From recall, I just gave that a turn down (less height). The minimal difference was enough for me. I now put the clamshell all of the way down, give a good quick press on the passenger side then a good quick press on the drivers side. Works fine and have never had it pop open.

I think most of the problems with the hard close is fighting against the rubber bumper that is a little too high. That is why when you give a slam from a foot up it works - you're smashing down that rubber bumper.

If this doesn't make any sense, let me know and I'll put a picture up.

rsilverman: if you lowered the rubber stop to the bottom, but are still having the problem, you may need to drill out the pop rivit and get a little more play out of the latch (but very little I would think). However, I doubt you would need to do that. Did you adjust both sides? I am surprised you would be all the way to the bottom and still have a problem since you would think from the original install they would put it in in such a fashion that it would be "mid travel" so they could adjust. Will it close OK if you take the bumper off all the way? That would be a good test to see if that is really the issue.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
This should help.

Don't know where you see a spring unless you're talking about the actual latch

This is on an 05. Maybe yours is different?

Attachments

• bumper1.jpg
    bumper1.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 562
  • bumper2.jpg
    bumper2.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 559

Gruntled

GT Owner
Dec 11, 2005
AZGT said:
This should help.

Don't know where you see a spring unless you're talking about the actual latch

This is on an 05. Maybe yours is different?

Thanks for the picture! Here is a picture from my '06 which is a bit different. I am guessing the design was changed in an effort to help the clamshell pop up when opened, which it does quite well.

Attachments

• DSC00055_640.jpg
    DSC00055_640.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 384
Last edited:

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
I think your design is better. I figure the latch is what holds the clamshell down, and the bumper is probably just an anti-rattle item. When you mentioned a spring, I was thinking a better design than mine would be a spring under the rubber - what you have.

I'll need to defer to the guys with your style on what they did.

In addition to lower the bumper, did loosen the actual mounting of the assembly to the bulk head (and did not take out the rivit). Moves a micro amount, but that may be all you need. Give that a try. You may only be looking for an 1/8 inch movement to solve the problem.

What did you do different to get your image to come up in the message? I did the manage attachments, but it just gave the link. :confused

Last edited:

rsilverman

GT Owner
Mar 25, 2006
new jersey
That was actually going to be the next thing I try, AZ. The passenger rubber stop is about mid-way and closes fine. Unlike White P. I have a bolt, no spring.
I'll let you know what happens with the bolt out
Rob

Last edited:

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
White Petunia said:
The only thing I can think of that I might have done differently than you, is that I attached my picture while editing my original post, as opposed to attaching the picture with the original posting of the post.

In other words, my original post did not have an attachment. I added the attachment about five minutes later.

Does that make sense?

Yep, I'll try that next time.

I think your shim idea is good. You know that the fit is not off by much, so that could be the answer.

GFORCE

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2006
Mine is a 06

Mine has rubber top no spring,#404,06. Do you think it should be changed to diff style?

NY 05 GT 40

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2007
Closing the Engine Hatch

When I picked up my car, the dealer told me it takes two people to "slam" the hood closed. Doing that the first nine months caused the engine cover to improperly close and damage the passenger side release making it so I could not open the hatch. It also scratched the two side scoops that now need to be repainted under warranty.
I took it to a great Ford Dealer, did all the recalls, oil change and fixed and ligned up the hood. The mechanic told me the proper way to close the hood was to gently apply pressure in the center of the hatch betwen the two stripes. My hatch closes great since then, I rarely get the "door open" light on regarding the hatch not closing right. It sounds like we were both ill advised from our dealers on how to close the hatch. I am upset my car needs paint....Joe

I am having some difficulty closing the rear shell / engine cover. Right now I need to be centered from the back of the car, grab the vents, and slam from about two feet up (which, or course, makes me cringe).

I see others have mentioned adjustments that have fixed the issue, and I will give that a try.

My question is how easy does it / should it close for some of you. Can you close the lid and simply push down over the latches to lock it down, or do you need to come from some height like I do. Suggestions before I start messing with the adjustments?

I don't like the way I need to do it - I have had other cars with latches where they were simple and smooth to close. Simple, easy push.

As a side, is the manual for the car you guys are getting the one from Helm? Or is there a better one.

Thanks

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
I also had this problem with the shell and the newer spring type rubber stops. I loosened the nut on the bottom and turned the plastic nut clockwise a few times until I got the measurement between both sides close enough to close easily. The pass. side was 35.55 mm from base of stop to top of rubber and the driver side was 37.22 mm. Now the drivers side is 35.7mm and closes much better now. No need to SLAM it down.

M

Mark O

I'll give a laurel, and hardy handshake to the first person who comes up with the part number for the new style spring/bumper. :wink