GT Market - Record Low Price?

cfra7

Feb 13, 2006
Rocklin, CA
Hi,

Ebay sales for the GT have been almost nonexistent this month with sellers and buyers unable to come to term. The buyers want to pay around 140K and the sellers are looking for around $150K. Dealers can still get MSRP on the right car and even a few thousand above.

The first sale this month of a GT seems to set a record low price for a clean 2005 GT. The blue car is reported to have sold for $128K. The only option I can discover is stripes. The link is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford...egoryZ116478QQihZ012QQitemZ220060606579QQrdZ1

Please note that I’m not making the statement that the market value of the GT is now $128K. This was a great deal for someone. It only goes to show that with less than $130K you can find a clean GT if you are willing to look for the right deal and take your time.

I’ll still stick to my original statement that the GT is depreciating at a rate of around $2 per mile driven. As additional sales complete; I’ll start gathering more data on options, mileage and colors vs. price. I think this may be the only completed sale this month and I’m only positing it now because it is a record low that will probably stand for quite a while. I still see no data to back up some theories put forth on this site that the GT will not follow normal depreciation trends. I see plenty of data to the contrary.

Here is my new list of completed EBay sales of 2005 GTs. I once again state that these are listed as COMPLETED SALES. I consider them “Best Deals” and not average prices.

Aug. $152K
Sept. $149K
Oct. $142K
Nov. $140K – Yellow with stripes and all options. 1K miles
Dec. $128K - Blue with stripes, 1K miles

Disclaimer: Please feel free to verify the link that I’ve posted. I’m not making up data in an effort to drive down GT prices. The GT market will do what it does. I’m only reporting EBay data in an effort to track the market. I only use completed sales. I’m not dumb enough to feel that EBay data is 100% accurate but I also know of no better source of completed sales. I also don’t feel that the new record low is the normal value of a GT. The estimate I continue to use is $2 depreciation for every mile driven. I would therefore value the blue GT at around $143K. I feel it sold way under market price.

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Really Don't Care !!

..........The estimate I continue to use is $2 depreciation for every mile driven..............

At this rate, pretty soon I'm gona to have to pay someone to take this thing off my hands.:eek :willy :lol :biggrin :confused :ack :bs :frown :rolleyes :bang :skep

Guess I had better STOP DRIVING the GT - NO WAY - I really don't care what the price is, nor where it goes.

Passion Has No Logic Or Reason.

Fred

"To hell with facts! We need passion!"
- Ken kesey

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
It's a good thing.....

......that when Shelby was done with his Datona Coupes I stayed away from those turds. He wanted $7995 for used rebodied Cobras. Nobody else wanted them either so they sat on the lot for a year and a half until some grape stepped up and bought 'em. They depreciated too fast and smart guys like me avoided that trap. Besides, I can still pick one up today for about............$4,000,000.00. All the rest of that Shelby stuff depreciated fast the first few years too. Buyer beware!!

Chip

DeaconBlues

GT Owner
Feb 7, 2006
New Mexico
Yeah, guess I'm stuck with this depreciating unappreciated American pig. How horrible. Think I'll go for a drive in the pig right now. :biggrin

H

HHGT

The only people that should care about the price are the buyers. The smart guys that bought these cars with the help of their creative CPA enjoy the car and will enjoy the resale at some point in the future. Unlike the italian exotic car owners, I bought it, I drive it every chance I get and I do not give a $hit how many miles are on it. Hell if I ever bought a ferrari, I would probably use the GT to make runs to Ferrari dealerships to buy the parts, or may be, just maybe, I can rig a tow setup to trailer the Ferrari using the GT. What is the Towing limit?:eek

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
So let us know when you buy one.

MDT

GT Owner
Jun 24, 2006
This car is gorgeous. That and the low production will keep it's value up over time. Plus it's gorgeous. Wish I had a garage like Dan Tana (? Vegas Private Eye tv show, where he parked in his living room)

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Perhaps this post can be moved to the GT's for sale thread, where it will be most useful and appropriate to those in the market, and those of us that are more interested in driving and using our cars can continue to share posts about ownership experiences.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Who even knows if that sale goes through. Many dealers have shell bidders, and never even sell the car. At that price, I would doubt the dealer would go through with it.

What's up with all the threads trying to prove the value of the GT is hitting rock bottom. Is there a hidden agenda or something?

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Who even knows if that sale goes through. Many dealers have shell bidders, and never even sell the car. At that price, I would doubt the dealer would go through with it.

What's up with all the threads trying to prove the value of the GT is hitting rock bottom. Is there a hidden agenda or something?

Yeah, we can assume with reasonable certainty that the sale will not complete at that price - since it is widely against market.

Perhaps the agenda isn't really all that hidden.

This thread theme has been posted a few times, and is being discussed in the appropriate FOR SALE section.

As I mentioned there,

I think we are starting to occasionally see a couple types of themes:

1) Dreamers, attempting to create data of pricing they would like to see, so they can convince themselves to purchase;
2) Opportunists, attempting to create a self fulfilling prophecy by producing invalid or inaccurate data, in an attempt to manipulate the market.

Such can be the case, when you have something that others want. I think cfra means well, but again, these threads are likely more suitable in the "GT's for sale" section, for anyone who cares...

Last edited:

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
The only option I can discover is stripes.

If the pictures are accurate, it appears to have at least BBS upgraded wheels, and also painted red calipers...

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
gt market value

My feeling is simple,from the moment I saw the gt I loved it .Is there a more iconic car out there?
I bought it because no other car has ever made me feel so passionate.Like the other fellow said,"I drive mine every chance I can"The cars are made to drive.If you want a good investment buy realistate!
I belive dealers are trying to get them off there floor plan and also don't want to pay taxes on them in inventory.
The only great investment in owning your dream car is enjoyment !
I also belive the value of the car will only go up due to the limited production.Time will tell.Till than I'll just enjoy the ride!
If you haven't bought the gt 40/gt videos from Speed channel and Discovery
channel ,buy em.They will really make you feel that you have something special.
roketman

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
just maybe, I can rig a tow setup to trailer the Ferrari using the GT. What is the Towing limit?:eek

Use a low profile trailer - when people see ya flying down the road it will look like the GT rightfully is in the lead!:rofl

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Hi,

The first sale this month of a GT seems to set a record low price for a clean 2005 GT. The blue car is reported to have sold for $128K. The only option I can discover is stripes.

Please note that I’m not making the statement that the market value of the GT is now $128K. This was a great deal for someone. It only goes to show that with less than $130K you can find a clean GT.

OR - AND MORE LIKELY - this was a "gotta sell it" situation ... somebody in over his head buyin' the car ( or drowning for some other reason) ...divorce ...medical bills ... buyin' a house he needs a FAST down stroke on ... or the car has been "hit" or has some OTHER pblm. There's no way to look at this car deal "from a distance" and know for sure WHAT was going on OR that it was "a great deal" FOR EITHER PARTY. Meebe 'TWAS ... mebbe 'twasn't. But it sure wasn't NORMAL!!!!!!!

That's my $1.98.

E.P.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Horse feathers - Take a look on ebay; an all time low number of vehicles are being offered for sale "13". I've studied the market for two years and have never seen so few cars available. We're talking basic biz 101 here - supply and demand. Does anyone seriously believe that the prices will do anything but increase dramatically and relatively soon? My $0.02, if you want a car buy it now or be prepared to spend quite a bit more in the Spring of 2007. Not wishful thinking just a reasonable deduction. For my part I bought the car to drive and cherish and have no intention of selling it ever! So it plain doesn't matter what the prices are!

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area
Hi,

Ebay sales for the GT have been almost nonexistent this month with sellers and buyers unable to come to term. The buyers want to pay around 140K and the sellers are looking for around $150K. Dealers can still get MSRP on the right car and even a few thousand above.

The first sale this month of a GT seems to set a record low price for a clean 2005 GT. The blue car is reported to have sold for $128K. The only option I can discover is stripes. The link is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford...egoryZ116478QQihZ012QQitemZ220060606579QQrdZ1

Please note that I’m not making the statement that the market value of the GT is now $128K. This was a great deal for someone. It only goes to show that with less than $130K you can find a clean GT if you are willing to look for the right deal and take your time.

Ok...now the truth. I have bought and sold over 25 "exotics" on ebay over the last 5 years. I can tell you...without hesitation, that the price you see as the final "sale price", has little to do with the price the car was actually sold for. Fact...not fiction. And in more than 50% of the deals you see as completed auctions on ebay with selling prices over 100K...the sale never happened. Fact again. So using completed ebay auctions as your example for pricing is as wrong as asking me the current value of the GT. You want the real value of the cars? Just look at the wholesale index below. Manheim Auction. '06 cars. These are recorded WHOLESALE prices paid in the last month. Add 5-7% for retail.

11/07/06 FAAO Regular $155,000 196 Avg GRAY 8G 6 Yes
11/09/06 RIVRSIDE Regular $147,000 122 Avg WHITE 8G 5 Yes
12/07/06 RIVRSIDE Regular $146,500 581 Avg WHITE 8G 5 Yes
12/12/06 FAAO Regular $151,000 531 Avg GREY 8G M Yes

Last edited:

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Horse feathers - Take a look on ebay; an all time low number of vehicles are being offered for sale "13". I've studied the market for two years and have never seen so few cars available. We're talking basic biz 101 here - supply and demand. Does anyone seriously believe that the prices will do anything but increase dramatically and relatively soon? My $0.02, if you want a car buy it now or be prepared to spend quite a bit more in the Spring of 2007. Not wishful thinking just a reasonable deduction. For my part I bought the car to drive and cherish and have no intention of selling it ever! So it plain doesn't matter what the prices are!

Pegasus had feathers!:biggrin

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
What he said.

Ok...now the truth. I have bought and sold over 25 "exotics" on ebay over the last 5 years. I can tell you...without hesitation, that the price you see as the final "sale price", has little to do with the price the car was actually sold for. Fact...not fiction. And in more than 50% of the deals you see as completed auctions on ebay with selling prices over 100K...the sale never happened. Fact again. So using completed ebay auctions as your example for pricing is as wrong as asking me the current value of the GT. You want the real value of the cars? Just look at the wholesale index below. Manheim Auction. '06 cars. These are recorded WHOLESALE prices paid in the last month. Add 5-7% for retail.

cfra7

Feb 13, 2006
Rocklin, CA
I apologize for posting to the wrong section. It won’t happen again.

Thanks

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter

This is pretty interesting. I assume these prices were for new untitled cars? Is this information available to a layman, or do I have to be a member of some organization to get it?

Thanks.