Door Latch Question

JAM-GT

GT Owner
Sep 29, 2005
I have a question for the owners regarding the doors. The doors are not exactly symmetric in the way that the open from the outside. On the passenger side, when you press the release button the whole door springs open about 20-30 degrees with a nice pop. On the driver's side, the door only open about 5 degrees and usually catches on the striker. Typically I have to press the release a second time (or hold the button down while pulling open the door initially). Do any of you guys have a similar experience with the doors? Is it a matter of adjusting the door striker or is it more complicated than that? The door frame and body panels match up pretty well around the door on both sides, so it's not a matter of gross misalignment of the striker and the latch. Any advice would be appreciated.

John

texasgt

GT Owner
Aug 12, 2005
Both of my doors seem to open in the same way, but my driver's door doesn't close all that well. With time, the inner release also seems to be getting very notchy, requiring a lot of force and not feeling very smooth. I'm going to try to see how the things are adjusted, but it feels like this may be something of a trouble spot.

Let us know what you find.

Mark

JAM-GT said:
I have a question for the owners regarding the doors. The doors are not exactly symmetric in the way that the open from the outside. On the passenger side, when you press the release button the whole door springs open about 20-30 degrees with a nice pop. On the driver's side, the door only open about 5 degrees and usually catches on the striker. Typically I have to press the release a second time (or hold the button down while pulling open the door initially). Do any of you guys have a similar experience with the doors? Is it a matter of adjusting the door striker or is it more complicated than that? The door frame and body panels match up pretty well around the door on both sides, so it's not a matter of gross misalignment of the striker and the latch. Any advice would be appreciated.

John

Ron

GT Owner
Oct 7, 2005
Gainesville GA
I've also noted a difference in behavior between the sides of the car. Both the door and the latch mechanism for the rear deck are much smoother closing on the passenger side. The driver side door, like yours, opens less than the passenger side, but doesn't hang on the latch as you describe. It does however require a hard slam to close completely, while the passenger side door seems to almos fall shut to a completely locked position. The rear deck is also assymetrical. The passenger side will latch easily, but to latch the drivers side requires that you slam it down from about a foot up with direct pressure above the drivers side latch. Anything less than this abuse and the deck lid will only latch on the passenger side.

I'll be curious to hear if others have this assymetry, and if there is a solution.

Cheers... ron

wonkawonka

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Lebanon
I have the exact same latch problem on the driver side. Once I slammed it so hard that the bottom corner nicked the paint on the side air intake.
I really have to get that latch fixed.
As for the doors, mine are perfect and symmetrical. But I know that EnzoBTR's driver door exhibits the same symptoms as yours.

Ron said:
I've also noted a difference in behavior between the sides of the car. Both the door and the latch mechanism for the rear deck are much smoother closing on the passenger side. The driver side door, like yours, opens less than the passenger side, but doesn't hang on the latch as you describe. It does however require a hard slam to close completely, while the passenger side door seems to almos fall shut to a completely locked position. The rear deck is also assymetrical. The passenger side will latch easily, but to latch the drivers side requires that you slam it down from about a foot up with direct pressure above the drivers side latch. Anything less than this abuse and the deck lid will only latch on the passenger side.

I'll be curious to hear if others have this assymetry, and if there is a solution.

Cheers... ron

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
The clamshell on mine shuts easily on the drivers side, but needs an extra 'shove' on the passenger side to latch.

The drivers door opens easily, the passengers side does not....

FGT4me

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
Both my driver's and passenger's doors sometimes don't clear the latch.
I have to time the opening of the door opening to make it clear the latch, on both sides.

I just figured "it's a Ford" after all.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I gather from all of you that I am very lucky since both my doors and engine cover open and close beautifully. I have 1300 miles on it and its an early build (298).

You guys act like you're scared to take it to a dealer for warranty work. I had a door seal that I didn't like the looks of and my dealer ordered a new one no questions asked. I didn't even buy it from him. Give the dealers a chance and maybe you'll find a good one.

4ord GT

GT Owner
Oct 22, 2005
No. Va.
Door Latch

After reading your posts, I realized that my driver door was not latching the way it did at the time of delivery. It was becoming hard to close and was sticking a little when the door was opened. So I loosened the two Torx type screws on the striker plate(u-bolt thing in the door jamb) and moved it down slightly and retightened the screws. It Shuts as smooth as silk and doesn't catch when opened. Just thought I would share the Info. :biggrin

VIN1591

GT Owner
Oct 27, 2005
Easton, MA
I've got door problems too.

From the Outside
I've noticed intermittently that the doors do not unlatch completely with just one try. They unlatch partially and require that you push the button a second time to get them to fully open. They seem to get hungup somehow and require a second unlatching. But, it is intermittent and I think it may temperature related. Just went out into the garage and tried the doors and they both open from the outside perfectly in sub-freezing temps.

From the Inside
Both doors are difficult to open from the inside with the passenger door being worse. When the car has been running for awhile the problem becomes so bad that I have to get out and unlatch the passenger door from the outside. Needless to say this is one problem that pleases my wife!

I have an appointment setup for Dec 13th at a Ford dealership and the Regional Ford Service Rep. will be there at that time to iron out some issues. I'll let you know how I make out with the doors.

JAM-GT

GT Owner
Sep 29, 2005
Door latch

Thanks for all the helpful posts. I'm glad to see that I'm not alone. My rear hatch is a little difficult to close as well. On the passenger side, both of my feet have to come off the ground when I press down to latch it. The other side is easier (but not easy).

At some point, I'll probably need a visit to the dealer. Any recommendations in the Seattle area?

escman

GT Owner
Nov 16, 2005
Long Island, NY
Door panel alignment is covered extensively in the service manual on page 501-03. I will fax it to you if you would like, but i would recommend taking it to a ford dealer. It is covered under warranty pm me with a fax # Pete 1644

saber

GT Owner
Sep 25, 2005
NYC
wonkawonka said:
I have the exact same latch problem on the driver side. Once I slammed it so hard that the bottom corner nicked the paint on the side air intake.
I really have to get that latch fixed.
As for the doors, mine are perfect and symmetrical. But I know that EnzoBTR's driver door exhibits the same symptoms as yours.
I had to realign my rear shell. It did not have the proper clearances around the edges. It works well now and the re-alignment was easy.

JAM-GT

GT Owner
Sep 29, 2005
latches and alignment

Thanks for the recommendations. I have a copy of the manual already. The panel alignment is not too bad looking, so I was thinking of asking the dealer to align it when I eventually bring it in. My dimmer switch doesn't work, so it's going to have to go in for warranty service at some point. I just don't know who to trust in my area (it's my first Ford).

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
My passenger door is very hard to open the latch. The door closes ok though once opened. The drivers side seems ok when opening and closing. The hood and trunk lid seem to work good.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
JAM-GT, mine does the same thing! I usually have to press the driver's side door release button twice.

VIN1591, mine is also intermittent, just as you describe.

Page 501-14-2 of the workshop manual mentions a 3-second timeout, although the entire description of operation is confusing.

Note that it's easier to close the last door when a window is rolled down, due to air pressure buildup.

Jay

Last edited:

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
closing latches

I recived my GT in July. Immediately ihad problems closing the front and rear hoods. The front I realigned myself (not difficult). The rear there was a problem where both latches were not tightened and almost falling off!! Quickly remedied. As far as closing the doors, I found that cracking the window open slightly alleviates the problem (air tight otherwise). And yes the inside door release opens hard on both sides. Otherwise the car has run great.

leon

GT Owner
May 29, 2006
Hilton Head Island, SC
i am having troubles getting out of the driver's side door. car came from factory with door ajar light on and had it realigned at the dealership. now the light is on again. any ideas why this is happening. you seem to be having problems with your doors.
thanks, leon

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
It is most likely the front trunk hood or or rear engine compartment hood. Try opening and shutting both until they are closed properly.

DBS

Permanent Vacation
May 10, 2006
Mmmmm seems like the list of problems is getting longer with the GT. Surely you owners should not being having to open and shut doors in different manners to make them operate normally. The more I hear about these problems that are arising on the Tech board, the more it puts me off saving for such a car..... :frown

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
If you keep on waiting for the perfect car... you will be waiting the rest of yuour life... There is no such animal. I will continue to drive my GT with an ear to ear grin everywhere I go. I love my GT!