Door sticking...

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
I locked myself into the car...after witing for the wife I tried the passenger door...too close to the walll...bummmer..then I tried pulling on the door as I squezed the handle...and viola..it opened..what does that mean? the stroker needs grease?

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Misaligned doors are a common problem on the GT's. One of the symptoms is having the door "lock" or "stick" from the inside.

Just take it to the dealership and have them readjust it.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
had mine repaired. I understand it may have something to do with a bad hardware design that was changed in the middle of production. No recall from what I hear but my guess is they will replace with the new hardware if asked.

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
LEMANSZ said:
I locked myself into the car...after witing for the wife I tried the passenger door...too close to the walll...bummmer..then I tried pulling on the door as I squezed the handle...and viola..it opened..what does that mean? the stroker needs grease?

I routinely have to pull on the door when the car is hot to exit from the inside. It's almost become second nature to me and I'll have the dealer address it when I bring it in for service. Based on my limited mechanical knowledge, I suspect this is a door alignment issue with the striker plate and not an internal cable problem. BTW, my car is also black and silver but the problem occurs on all colors. :cheers

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
For mine, a simple strike adjustment @ Saleen at the rally for a hard closing door, also made a huge difference in the amount of effort required to open from the inside.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
LEMANSZ said:

trying go to the gym, or at the least get a hand squeezer exercise tool :biggrin
signed, jack lalane

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
bony said:
trying go to the gym, or at the least get a hand squeezer exercise tool :biggrin
signed, jack lalane

Bony, don't squeeze your tool to hard or too often :banana

jasper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 17, 2006
australia/ 51st state
have you guys tried using dry lube, cake of soap?

(serious)

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
on what part?...the latch

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Problem Solved

I too have had this problem.

The issue was that the driver’s door was very hard to open at times, and at other times it would not open at all from the inside [I would have to roll down the window and press the outside door release button to open the door]. Issue was worse after running the car and/or hotter ambient temperatures.

Apparently there were some slight variations in the positioning of the mechanism vs. the doors vs. cables which created a situation where the cable that releases the door was too long [or would stretch, which was worse with heat].

I was told that they made a change to the release mechanism at some point to resolve this problem.

While at Saleen, they replaced the door mechanism; problem solved. Door opens as it should, every time.

Be aware that before they changed out the mechanism [which included ne cabels], they told be that there was a Ford ‘engineering directive’ to reverse the cabels for the latch and lock inside the door to correct the problem. They tried that fix, but it did not work, so they replaced the entire mechanism. All works fine now.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You know, maybe you guys shouldn't drink, drive , and then try to get out! The car is giving you a hint. Never had a bit of trouble with my doors.

jasper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 17, 2006
australia/ 51st state
lemansz try applying to the strikers :thumbsup

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
apply what?

jasper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 17, 2006
australia/ 51st state
dry lube, rub a cake of soap on strikers

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
fjpikul said:
You know, maybe you guys shouldn't drink, drive , and then try to get out! The car is giving you a hint. Never had a bit of trouble with my doors.

Thanks for reminding these guys about that, drinking and driving is bad news, chances are good you might spill some liquor and stain your nice interior and spot your clothes. :biggrin

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
jasper said:
dry lube, rub a cake of soap on strikers

listen John, kids come on this forum, we will have no talk about you soaping up your striker in public. thanks for your cooperation.
your pal.
the architect :eek :tongue :bs

hey John, you don't know Jon Bennet Ramsey do you mate?? :willy :willy

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
I have to say that my 2006 GT's doors open and shut much easier than my mid-2005 GT. I guess they did change some things to improve the mechanism or alignment.

jasper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 17, 2006
australia/ 51st state
daniel,
no, they should get that karr guy and use him as external ballast
on the shuttles rocket boosters :biggrin

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Bony, where do you get that sense of humor from?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
jasper said:
daniel,
no, they should get that karr guy and use him as external ballast
on the shuttles rocket boosters :biggrin

trust me, the boys at Folsom are looking forward to seeing those tight little buns as he bends over to pick up the soap.........sooooouuuueeeeeeey :biggrin :eek :biggrin