Anyone watch a coolant hose pop off at 150 MPH ?

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
This did happen to me last Saturday night. I had friends in town and of course everyone wants to go for a ride in the GT and who am I not to comply with that request. Anyways I am out in the middle of nowhere doing the good ole 1-2-3-4 when I see a fountain of water in the rear view mirror and instantly think oh shit. So I shut the car down and roll to a stop on the side of the road. Crack the back open and see one of the primary coolant hoses had popped off on the passenger side. At this point I am relieved knowing that I can repair this myself with a screw driver and water. Called the wife to bring out the essentials and chilled out on the side of the road in the Florida heat and waited on the goods. I see the race jeep roll up behind me and now the fun begins. I am burning myself trying to wedge my hand against the motor to tighten the clamp that was not fully tightened down when the car was assembled. Also at this same time I have been getting bitten by yellow flies and listen to other animals creep around in the woods. MJ you know what road I am talking about.

Alright so I get the clamp on and move to the other side to add water. Now this is where it gets really good. I feel something biting my leg and think its the damn flies. Nope I am standing in a massive red ant hill and these suckers are biting the hell out of my leg and all over my shoes. So I start jumping around trying to get all of the ants off my shoes. I take my shoe off and throw it. I yank off my sock and throw that while dancing around in the middle of the street like a crack pot. Talk about fun !

At that point the pinnacle had finally been reached. I get the ants off of me roll the car forward finish up the coolant purge and refill and I was good to go. Another GT memory to be had forever !

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Holey Moley!

Poor old you - terrible.

nomis

Jun 14, 2006
Home Counties, England
tmcphail said:
So I start jumping around trying to get all of the ants off my shoes. I take my shoe off and throw it. I yank off my sock and throw that while dancing around in the middle of the street like a crack pot. Talk about fun !

I'm sorry but this is classic :biggrin :cheers

Did you reverse over the ant hill and light up the rears? Revenge is a dish best served with big fat rubber :wink

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Yeah thats why I had to stick this story out here. I just rolled forward to get away from the ants. I was more focused on getting the car back to normal than anything else. Which was why I didn't notice the hill in the first place

150 shot 610 rwhp / 760 rwtq
2006 Silver Jeep SRT-8 12.5@109.6

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
WOW!!! Good thing nothing bad happened to you guys (or the car). Naturally, there had to be more excitment than just a "quick fix". l remember the road (of course), & since I've been attacked by red ants in the past, I feel for you. Not pleasant!! :frown But still... a great GT memory! I'm hoping this little incident hasn't turn you off from future cruises down that road. :lol Maybe I'll bring a video camera next time...

Stay safe! MJ

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Oh I am about to frequent it momentarily ! This little vid from the other day was shot there

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/8f0994a7-27f9-4421-a0af-23e0e1d34923.htm

Mr. Torrie R. McPhail
2005 Ford GT Black / Silver stripe 677rwhp / 673 rwtq
2005 Silver Viper 490rwhp / 530rwtq

GTF-40

GT Owner
Jun 25, 2006
columbus, ohio
wow , the excitment of the gt :wink

as i am off work today, i thought i would walk out to the garage and look at the hose clamps on my 102 mile car.

there is 7 clamps that i was able to get to including the small hose coming from the front of the manifold.

a 1/4 inch hand driver and some 1/4 inch drive extensions and a flex joint work pretty good to get at these hose clamps. note that these are spring loaded clamps designed to keep some tension on the hose even if the hose compressed a bit. being spring tensioned under the bolt, it is unlikely that these would loosen up by themselves.

i was able to tighten up all of the clamps from 1/2 turn to almost 2 turns on some. this is probably due to the rubber hoses settling in since new. i do not think any off the clamps were loose enough to allow a hose to come off but it would be a good idea to double check them.

also i would suggest checking the front 2 main hoses at the radiator. this can be done after removeing the grill that cover the cooling fans. also when the lower pans are removed for a oil change i would definatly inspect and check the lower hoses in the engine compartment.

maybe someone could post a diagram and or a check list
of all the coolant hose clamp locations sutible for a quick inspection during a oil change.

big anual local car show for the artritis foundation here in columbus ohio this saturday, looks like the gt will attend. :thumbsup

george

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
tmcphail said:
This did happen to me last Saturday night. I had friends in town and of course everyone wants to go for a ride in the GT and who am I not to comply with that request. Anyways I am out in the middle of nowhere doing the good ole 1-2-3-4 when I see a fountain of water in the rear view mirror and instantly think oh shit. So I shut the car down and roll to a stop on the side of the road. Crack the back open and see one of the primary coolant hoses had popped off on the passenger side. At this point I am relieved knowing that I can repair this myself with a screw driver and water. Called the wife to bring out the essentials and chilled out on the side of the road in the Florida heat and waited on the goods. I see the race jeep roll up behind me and now the fun begins. I am burning myself trying to wedge my hand against the motor to tighten the clamp that was not fully tightened down when the car was assembled. Also at this same time I have been getting bitten by yellow flies and listen to other animals creep around in the woods. MJ you know what road I am talking about.

Alright so I get the clamp on and move to the other side to add water. Now this is where it gets really good. I feel something biting my leg and think its the damn flies. Nope I am standing in a massive red ant hill and these suckers are biting the hell out of my leg and all over my shoes. So I start jumping around trying to get all of the ants off my shoes. I take my shoe off and throw it. I yank off my sock and throw that while dancing around in the middle of the street like a crack pot. Talk about fun !

At that point the pinnacle had finally been reached. I get the ants off of me roll the car forward finish up the coolant purge and refill and I was good to go. Another GT memory to be had forever !

Next time please bring a video camera. The clip would be a HUGE hit on youtube http://www.youtube.com/ and make you an instant international celebrity! :cheers

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
:cheers

Mr. Torrie R. McPhail
2005 Ford GT Black / Silver stripe 677rwhp / 673 rwtq
2005 Silver Viper 490rwhp / 530rwtq

ratnacage

Apr 18, 2006
Awesome video, but be careful posting stuff like that (evidence) with your personal info attached (signature). I've heard of more than one incident of the law coming after people.

I had a customer that bought a black GT without racing stripes and had me remove the side tape stripes (surprisingly easy). He came back the next evening complaining about wind noise from the passenger door above, ahem, 150 mph. Service was closed, so I put it inside the service drive with a note attached. I got a call the next morning from the service manager asking if it was a joke. I said no, I think the dude is serious. They called the guy and said that he'd have to demonstrate the problem as our policy is not to take the vehicle off the lot. He came in and took the service manager on the interstate, and wouldn't you know it, a Z06 came screaming up along side and decided he wanted to play. The owner told the svc manager to hold on, dropped it in second and just mopped the floor with the vette. The svc manager was stunned to say the least after blowing through 150 in just a few seconds. Not sure what ever became of the wind noise.

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
tmcphail said:
Oh I am about to frequent it momentarily ! This little vid from the other day was shot there

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/8f0994a7-27f9-4421-a0af-23e0e1d34923.htm

. Now this is where it gets really good. I feel something biting my leg and think its the damn flies. Nope I am standing in a massive red ant hill and these suckers are biting the hell out of my leg and all over my shoes. So I start jumping around trying to get all of the ants off my shoes. I take my shoe off and throw it. I yank off my sock and throw that while dancing around in the middle of the street like a crack pot. Talk about fun !

Nice video, but what I want to see is the dancing ant ceremony around the GT! :thumbsup

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
talk about a thread from the past :)

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Indeed