I hope this never happens to anyone else!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
"Their guy didn't secure the emergency brake hard enough....it was totaled!!"

...and yet we're directed to transport FGT's WITH THE E-BRAKE TOTALLY "OFF". :willy

Go 'figger'...:shrug

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I think they meant setting the E brake after putting the car on the ramp for loading. I used a carrier recommend by Shadowman for transport to Rally IV and he used the E brake and wheel chocks for extra safety. I also use wheel chocks when putting my car on a lift. Embarrassing to admit, the chocks have saved me once! :ack

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I think they meant setting the E brake after putting the car on the ramp for loading. I used a carrier recommend by Shadowman for transport to Rally IV and he used the E brake and wheel chocks for extra safety. I also use wheel chocks when putting my car on a lift. Embarrassing to admit, the chocks have saved me once! :ack

'Don't believe so, Clinton. As I recall, the e-brake is to be OFF and the tranny is to be in neutral during transport.

I never could understand what good the e-brake on a GT could possibly be in an actual EMERGENCY if it isn't even designed to withstand the riggers of being "set" during transport. :frown

The tranny thing I can understand TO SOME DEGREE. But, the 'B-R-A-K-E?:confused

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
You are right about Ford's recommendation for the FGT. I don't understand the ebrake off rule either.

As for the F430 it was being loaded when it fell. The driver should have put drove the car onto the ramp and then ebrake on and blocked the wheels so the car couldn't move forward or backward. The driver didn't do either! After the car is tied down in the trailer the car should be out of gear and the brakes off in the case of a FGT. A Fcar I don't know about.

I am surprised you didn't know all of this given how much time your spends in trailers vs. on the road.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I am surprised you didn't know all of this given how much time your spends in trailers vs. on the road.

GARAGE, 'ICE. G-A-R-A-G-E. It spent all it's time in the G-A-R-A-G-E. :slap

Edit: I just now "got" where you were coming from when you stated: "I think they meant setting the E brake after putting the car on the ramp for loading".

Look. It's late, ya know? And I'm OLD. And s-l-o-w. This "tech" stuff takes a bit of time 4me2 process, ya understand?

Last edited:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Boch as a dealer is the equiv of Penske in other parts of the country, they are HUGE.

This story has been ALL over the news here in Boston.

Probably was an F1 gear box, and a push button e-brake, maybe driver sis not know how to apply? If it was an electric e-brake, at least on cars I have had, it is not possible to be "not be on hard enough?"

When we loaded for TX, the driver had ME load it. My foot was buried on the brake, and there was also a chalk block under the wheel as well.

ItsOnlyMoney

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
Celina, Tx
Not a total loss ....... the windshield wipers still work :willy

KDO GT

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2008
Hollywood MD
Wow

Thats always a fear of mine when they are loading my FGT!!!!!!:thumbsdow

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
I don't think it would be "totalled". Would I accept a repaired new Ferrari?.....no, but still not totalled. It would certainly be repairable and perhaps not even a salvage title if the insurance elects to fix it. Might not even show on a Carfax since no police report. Definitely "diminish" the value with paintwork though.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
The 430s do NOT have electronic e-brakes. They are all hand e-brakes similar to the ones in our GTs. Car will most likely have a bent frame which will result in a total loss claim.

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB
Set e-brake
$20.00 set of wheel chocks
Putting them in the right place BEFORE the liftgate moves
PRICELESS

chock.jpg

chock1.jpg

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Set e-brake
$20.00 set of wheel chocks
Putting them in the right place BEFORE the liftgate moves
PRICELESS

chock.jpg

chock1.jpg

Stop with the photos I get in trouble with the wife when she see's me staring with lust in my eyes.............So where exactly give or take 50 feet is the trailer full of shelby candy?????:wink:wink:wink

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Ah on the e brake, and yes I heard an interview with Erine Boch, and he did comment that the car was a total loss.

The 430s do NOT have electronic e-brakes. They are all hand e-brakes similar to the ones in our GTs. Car will most likely have a bent frame which will result in a total loss claim.