New Texas Mile Rules

Mar 15, 2006
Requires a 4-point cage for 190+ mph. FYI.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Where did you find those?
Thanks !

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Requires a 4-point cage for 190+ mph. FYI.

I predict there will be a LOT fewer street driven FGT's, etc., entering as a result then. I wouldn't think any sane person would want to fight/deal with a roll cage within the confines of an exotic/supercar - especially one that's street driven with ANY regularity.

(Edit: not to mention what a 'cage would do to resale $$$.)

Last edited:

Dave Golder

Sep 10, 2008
Where did you find those?
Thanks !
3. ROLL BAR/CAGE: A 4 point roll cage that meets drag racing specs outlined in the NASA CCR is required for cars going 190MPH and higher, click here for NASA CCR http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/ccr.pdf. Some exceptions might be made for factory roll protection based on car manufacturer, experience of driver, projected top speed and special waivers signed.

I am working with the chief of tech and will have a final decision today.

Dave Golder
GM
Hennessey Performance

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
I would be very surprised if the Ford GT was not exempt from this due to its structual design.
We should hear from our forum brothers that have taken their GTs past 200...I don't think they had roll cages. But then again things always change.
I don't think my stock GT can exceed 190 in the mile, anyone know of the fasted stock GT speed thus far?

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
I thought DBK already said the GT was exempt from this rule. He also stated he got us exempt from a mandatory harness rule.

From my understanding, the only things we need are a fire extinguisher in the cabin and a proper helmet.

http://fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15634

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Since I don't have a RED car, I doubt that my FGT will do more than the 190 limit. :biggrin

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
They were pretty lenient the last time I went. I suspect they want a written reason to keep less thoughtfully engineered cars from competing.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
In prosecution, the rule is: if you don't already know the complete answer to a question, it's better left unasked...

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
but they will let motorcycles do 254mph?

anyone see the problem I have with this?

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
I could swear they had this 4 point cage rule in March but didn't enforce it.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
They have always had that rule but I think it was PeakCompletions and Jason Heffner who got them to waive it for Gt's. I believe the story is that the factory structural engineers were able to convince the Mile people that the cab of the GT was strong enough as-is.

There have been many cars including Ford Mustangs who have exceeded 200 without a roll cage and nothing has ever been said.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I would be very surprised if the Ford GT was not exempt from this due to its structual design.
We should hear from our forum brothers that have taken their GTs past 200...I don't think they had roll cages. But then again things always change.
I don't think my stock GT can exceed 190 in the mile, anyone know of the fasted stock GT speed thus far?

I've not heard of a STOCK GT exceeding 180 in the Mile. Anyone with better info please chip in.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
roll cage

Don't you only need the cage for the second run?

Ed

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
HAHA good point Ed :biggrin

Yes in the fall event of 2007 we talked to the organizers of the event and it was decided that the GT's structural design was sufficient to pass their tech inspection in place of the 4 point cage... and I was also under the impression that the GT Rally event at the mile is exempt from this restriction as well since it is a Rally function that day.. however I am curious whether or not they have imposed this rule on the GTs for the rest of the event...

John, since you posted this thread have you been told whether the FGT will need a cage now over 190 mph?

:cheers

Mar 15, 2006
Ray, I got an email after signing up stating this rule. As has been said this rule has been in effect in years past but not enforced. I just didnt want anyone getting surprised this year. I have not had a chance to call Shannon to discuss it. Maybe someone else has and can clarify for the GT event as well as for the Texas Mile.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Some things are better left unasked, and unsaid!

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
Some things are better left unasked, and unsaid!

bingo

Mar 15, 2006
I just didnt want anyone showing up and not being able to run the speed they had planned on. When we got the email from the organizers it sounded like they were going to enforce it this time around. Better to clarify up front then get to make 1-2 runs and get shut down.