Tire warning

Mark06GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I'm sure most of you check this kind of thing, but I feel it's imporant to say anyway.

I need new rear tires, so my dealer ordered a set of Goodyear F1's. When they came in, my dealer called me and said they were nearly 5 years old and he would not install them. He ordered a second set from Goodyear, but when they showed up, we found that they were about 4 years old. Apparently some tire distributers don't care that we'll be doing high speeds on these wheels and will ship anything.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
where is the date code on the tires?

Mark06GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime

nsfkid

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2007
Port Credit Ontario
Your dealer seems to to be on the ball, I don't think most dealers would even check.
If he had not told you, you might now be riding on 5 year old tires!

I'll now be checking the date code on any new tires that I buy!!!

Thank you for posting this info up!:cheers

Mike.

Last edited:

Mark06GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Your dealer seems to to be on the ball, I don't think most dealers would even check.
If he had not told you, you might now be riding on 5 year old tires!

I'll now be checking the date code on any new tires that I buy!!!

Thank you for posting this info up!:cheers

Mike.

The big concern is that old tires are more likely to shred themselves. Not good on the road; disaster on the track or on the Texas mile.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Depends where the tires have been stored, etc. Tires that are 5 years old could be in great shape and tires that are 2 years old could be terrible. All depends on climate of storage facility.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Depends where the tires have been stored, etc. Tires that are 5 years old could be in great shape and tires that are 2 years old could be terrible. All depends on climate of storage facility.

Interesting, is there a way to tell if the tires are in decent condition when they are received?

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Interesting, is there a way to tell if the tires are in decent condition when they are received?

I don't think so.

Tires stored in a pure nitrogen atmosphere may be alright, but how are you to know? DBK had a bad experience with his trailer tires a couple of years ago and can attest to the need to be aware of the age of tires installed on any moving vehicle. I've been told anything past 2-year old tires on a trailer are susceptible to failure. I think car tires are a bit better.

Just make sure the tires you put on your GT (or any other vehicle for that matter) are manufactured in the current year.

(EP excepted - his tires last 20-50 years. They never see any wear!)

Gill Jr.

GT Owner
Aug 7, 2007
Orange County, CA
I think there may be a good chance that ALL of the currently available Goodyear rear tires for the GT are at least a couple years old or older. I recently received some from The Tire Rack and they were 4 years old. My guess is that Goodyear has not produced a batch of these tires for some time now. They probably won't until the current inventory runs out. I could be wrong though.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I think there may be a good chance that ALL of the currently available Goodyear rear tires for the GT are at least a couple years old or older. I recently received some from The Tire Rack and they were 4 years old. My guess is that Goodyear has not produced a batch of these tires for some time now. They probably won't until the current inventory runs out. I could be wrong though.

That's a bummer, I may need some new rears before TX, but I don't want 4+ year old tires.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
the F1's are junk anyway.

Gill Jr.

GT Owner
Aug 7, 2007
Orange County, CA
I have found the Goodyear F1's to work pretty well. At least they do on a warm day once you get some heat into them. If the weather or the tires are cold they can be scary. Another plus for using the Goodyear F1's (at the Texas Mile) is they were the tire used by Ford for Vmax testing. Correct me if I am wrong.

None the less, I do look forward to trying some of the other tire options available.

H

HHGT

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Anyone who likes Goodyears never tried Hoosiers.I have 3 sets of rims for my Gt and they all have Hoosiers on them .Everything is better with Hoosiers,braking,cornering and acceleration .Its like getting FREE H.P., Better suspension and better brakes !!
Try em you will never go back !They also last as long as the Goodyear's !Aged tires are like aged women,the fresh ones preform better and are safer.My 02

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I have the Hoosier on now and they perform great. They do have a good bit more road noise than the bridgestones but that is a small sacrifice for the grip they provide.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Thanks for the info on aged tires. I have the dilemma of needing my left rear tire (OEM) replaced before Texas, or getting 4 of a different brand. I have a fairly new set, but had a nail puncture repair done a year ago. I have never had trouble with my Goodyears, but like Rocketman states, I have never driven Hoosiers.:ack Cannot decide?

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
!Aged tires are like aged women,the fresh ones preform better and are safer.My 02

Agreed!:thumbsup:wink

Mark06GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mixing tire brands?

Since I'm having trouble finding new F1s for the rear of my car, I'm wondering if I can replace them with another brand, but keep the F1's on the front. The front tires still have lots of life on them and it would be a shame to get rid of them too soon.

Is there any reason I shouldn't have different brands on the front and back?

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Since I'm having trouble finding new F1s for the rear of my car, I'm wondering if I can replace them with another brand, but keep the F1's on the front. The front tires still have lots of life on them and it would be a shame to get rid of them too soon.

Is there any reason I shouldn't have different brands on the front and back?

I was wondering the same thing.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Anyone who likes Goodyears never tried Hoosiers.I have 3 sets of rims for my Gt and they all have Hoosiers on them .Everything is better with Hoosiers,braking,cornering and acceleration .Its like getting FREE H.P., Better suspension and better brakes !!
Try em you will never go back !They also last as long as the Goodyear's !Aged tires are like aged women,the fresh ones preform better and are safer.My 02

Agreed, and the Hoosier's are much lighter weight.