high octane fuels

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
What are some of you boosted guys running as far as "race gas?"

There seem to be a lot of options: C16, Q16, 109, M3, M5....

C16 is the one I hear about the most and it has one of the highest octane ratings but I also hear it kills O2 sensors and cats. I don't have cats but I don't want to be replacing O2 sensors every couple of months either.

Anyone have experience with this subject?

I usually do not like to speculate but I've heard Jason Heffner uses MS109 on the regular GT builds, which I believe has a motor octane rating of 101.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2006
C16 It is also VERY corrosive as such the oil NEEDS to be changed frequently

Takes care

Shadowman

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
C16 It is also VERY corrosive as such the oil NEEDS to be changed frequently

Takes care

Shadowman

Very very true. I run citgo 110 in my car when I have her turned all the way up. Just because the pump is convenient.

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
Isn't the Citgo 110 leaded?

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Isn't the Citgo 110 leaded?

It most certainly is

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
Sunoco 104 is unleaded that from what I know is safe to run even in a stock GT. I run it in my pulley, tune and exhaust GT all the time.

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
Would be nice if I had a pump around here where I could get the good stuff. The nearest one is about 50 miles away.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
For a little more octane, maybe +5, you can go to Sherwin Williams. :biggrin

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
I don't wanna deal with mixing toluyline or whatever it is called. I'm not a nerd like the Supra guys. :biggrin

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Be careful with high test gas in some of the less used pumps! I have heard of stories after filling up with 100+ gas at pump the car would barely run and the tanks had to be drained! Stale gas is enough to scare me off. I sure the stuff you can buy at a track would be good. But I will take my chances with the Supra crowd vs. taking chances at an unknown pump around my area. Note that each brand of race gas is different and may require a different A/F and timing vs. another brands with the same "octane." Toluene is more consistent, once you have a tune for it, it always the same.

Besides, doesn't a Supra hold the record in the TX mile?

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
We dont have any pumps around here with that kind of stuff anyway. Whatever I decide on, I will be ordering a 55 gallon drum.

OzGT

GT Owner
Aug 21, 2006
South of Sydney, AUS
Sunoco 104 is unleaded that from what I know is safe to run even in a stock GT. I run it in my pulley, tune and exhaust GT all the time.

Man I wish we could get something like that here on the pump. My tune would be so much sweeter, than it's current 92-ish level.

Be careful with high test gas in some of the less used pumps! I have heard of stories after filling up with 100+ gas at pump the car would barely run and the tanks had to be drained! Stale gas is enough to scare me off. ?

I've always found one of the great side benefits of high octane pump is shelf life. I prove it time and time again with our 95 here and my bikes and offroad stuff @ my farm that I sometimes don't use for months at a time. Never a drama with stale gas in the tank or in the jerry can for that matter. I can't imagine a service station sitting on their super premium even close to long enough for it go stale. I have heard of people using old regular gas and getting caught out badly.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Honestly, if there is nothing convenient for you to get, I'd go with the stuff my tuner liked. If he didn't care, then I go with the highest octane stuff out there and use a conservative tune.

Looking forward to the dyno charts. Good Luck.

OzGT

GT Owner
Aug 21, 2006
South of Sydney, AUS
Honestly, if there is nothing convenient for you to get, I'd go with the stuff my tuner liked. If he didn't care, then I go with the highest octane stuff out there and use a conservative tune.

Looking forward to the dyno charts. Good Luck.

+1

Exactly what I did. Had to work with the octane levels available and whatever my tuner was comfortable to get out of it tuning-wise.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
VP racings "MS 109" is the HIGHEST octane unleaded race gas you can get. it has a R+M/2 octane of 105. to get octane levels in race gas that exceed 105 octane (research + motor / 2) you have to add lead which will eat O2 sensors really quick. leaded race gas goes all the way up to 120 octane.

JOETWINT

FORD GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 22, 2008
Brooklyn N.Y.
http://www.proracingfuels.com/Product_MARK5.html
This is 114 unleaded(think tolulene) and have used it in my Porsche.You have to specifically tune for it but it made almost as much power as C16.Only problem is it is from Canada and there are only a few dealers here in the U.S.Good stuff if your set on unleaded.Also I have found if you run a tank of unleaded and turn the boost down in between high boost leaded gas tankfulls the O2 sensors hold up pretty well.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
Would be nice if I had a pump around here where I could get the good stuff. The nearest one is about 50 miles away.

hyperfuels.com will deliver.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
This is 114 unleaded(think tolulen... not be enough for your particular operation.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
We got the e85 up here and i run it in all my high hp blown cars. 1.59 a gal right now:banana and i only have to drive no more than 10-20 miles to get it.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Just want to make sure the FGT owners here on the Forum understand and do not misinterpret "octane" for "power". The oil companies over years of implicit advertising have insidiously paralleled to two concepts to the general population. I would hope our FGT constituency is smarter than the general automotive fuel purchasing public and can understand and disassociate the two terms.

Octane in and of itself has nothing to do with BTU (or potential heat energy) content of a fuel. It is only a measure of detonation resistance which becomes more necessary as internal BMEP (brake mean effective pressure) increases due to increased compression ratio or advanced spark timing. Because octane is a measure of detonation resistance, a higher octane fuel actually burns or combusts at a slower rate than a lower octane fuel. This concept does take some thought. It is so convenient to think that filling the fuel tank of your 87/91 octane engine with 93+ octane fuel will get you more power…..but it just will not and you are wasting your money.

FGT tuners get to play with (among other things) the Air/Fuel ratio map, spark advance curve and inlet charge pressure (non-OE pulleys, Wipples, turbochargers) all of which do significantly alter engine power output for a given fuel. And as they play with these variables, to preclude damaging engine detonation, fuel octane requirements do go up. To accurately determine how much octane a fuel must possess to avoid damaging detonation for a given atmospheric condition (which can vary widely as we use our cars in many different temperature conditions) is very complicated and I seriously doubt any tuner has the instrumentation or patience necessary to map the octane requirements over the engine operating band at different temperature conditions. Thus they (to protect your engine and their reputation) conservatively recommend certain minimum octane rated fuels for a given “tune” level. Probably good to heed their advice and run higher octane fuels for more aggressive tunes, but their recommendations may be more than necessary or may not be enough for your particular operation.

My nomination for best, most accurate & relevant post of the year!