GT brake ducts

thegtguy

*Supporting Vendor* GT Owner
Apr 20, 2006
MI
Well we thought we would share another one of our track packages. We have done this to a few other cars as well. While the install isn't for the faint of heart but the functionality is worth it. The a/c line has to be reworked on the passenger side to clear the ducting. We clamp the tubing to the back of the ducts on the fascia and then run the tubing next to the cooling module and then to our bulkhead connector in the inner splash shield. Then another piece of tubing going from the splash shield connector to a fitting that bolts to the knuckle. This way the hose has a solid connection at both ends. Also this hose can be replaced without removing the front fascia. And just in case you are curious the tire doesn't contact the hose as we did the study with the shock off and moved the wheel through the entire travel and lock to lock.
We have also done some cooling module work to help out for the track. Stay tuned for pics in that in another thead. Also stay tuned for another package that is in developement now.

Also notice the new T&A Shocks single adjustable shocks.

Attachments

• IMG_0539 - web.JPG
    IMG_0539 - web.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 1,406
  • IMG_0540 - web.JPG
    IMG_0540 - web.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 1,057
  • IMG_0542 - web.JPG
    IMG_0542 - web.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 1,041
  • IMG_0556 - web.JPG
    IMG_0556 - web.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,089
  • IMG_0562 - web.JPG
    IMG_0562 - web.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 1,095
Last edited by a moderator:

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
That's great. Keep it coming Rich. You'll have owners moving to the midwest, just to be closer to you. :cheers

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Hey Ron, who's car is that :lol

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
cool !!!

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
I'm sure you meant that literally!!:rofl

GTED

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Nice work! The fact that the brake "ducts" are fake is the only thing that bugs me about the GT. I'm sure they were meant to be functional until someone saw how tough it would be to fit all the stuff in there.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I thought Jamal said that opening up the ducts created aero issues at high speeds?

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Nope ,The real scoop is that they had every intention of them being functional. Tom Reinchbach went on vaction and when he came back they had it all pluged up with ac stuff!!It was in the plans ,based on what I have heard. I bet it helps reduce brake dust as well .

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I asked them at rally 2 and they said that it was scraped because of issues with the aerodynamics.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
aero issue vs budget issue

If it were a true areo issue they wouldn't even have plugged up ducts. The most aerodynamic would be no ducts. I can't see how functioning ducts would be less aero than plugged up ones. But then again I've been known to be wrong on occasion!

Ed

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Ed, there is an aero "issue" when you open up the front duct holes. Ducting the high pressure air from the front will increase overall aerodynamic drag and thus at high speed it will take more power to push the car through the air.

That is the "issue".

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
had my brake duct caps removed 3 years ago.

I figured more air around the brakes, although unducted, would be advantageous for cooling them a bit more.

I've had no aero issues, that I know of, and the ducts stay pretty clean. I'm sure that a few bugs and other road debris found it's way through as wew didn't put in any screening.

Looking forward to see Rich's work around soon.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Ed, there is an aero "issue" when you open up the front duct holes. Ducting the high pressure air from the front will increase overall aerodynamic drag and thus at high speed it will take more power to push the car through the air.

That is the "issue".

That may be true, but I don't think my Whipple will notice. Besides as Bony would say, "I always obey the laws and man and nature" so it wouldn't matter.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
So I was curious about what a design team member remembered, so I asked him and this was the response:

"The intent was to have them for the owners to open up and add duct work. We did not open them up during the development as we did not have the time or the duct work designed to attach to the wheel end. So when we got to the point of high speed testing and our 24 hour track test we ran with the ducts closed as that was the production set up. It was not a cost reduction, but a opportunity for the owners to add brake ducts where the hardest part is getting through the front face. We figured that people doing track day would want them. The comment of Tom Reichenbach going on vacation and the package changing was more to do with lines and hoses going into the spot the hoses from the duct need to go. But on a program like this things like AC lines and Radiator hose end up in any spot they can get to make package. Look at the opening photo's and see how much stuff is up front. And yet thegtguys are getting the hoses in."

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Enlightment. :thumbsup

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Enlightment. :thumbsup

:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I feel so much better now !!

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
brake ducts

Confirms my suspicions. Open 'em up boys!

Ed

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Great work Rich. It's great that you guys finally figured out how to employ those useless duct openings (or lack thereof!)

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
One other question... on the older GTs (GT40s) Shelby did not want the brakes cooled this way. He thought that it would cause problems at La Mans. The Ford team did duct cold air to the brakes and the front rotors warped on them. Shelby's team did not and their brakes performed better as the race wore on. Any thoughts?